Can anyone interpret my minidump for a BSOD I'm having?

Pbryanw

Hi,

The background to my BSOD is that I have a Mac mini and a Dell XPS 420 connected together via a KVM switch. However when I try and switch between them I sometimes get a BSOD when I'm switching to the Dell. The Dell is running Vista x32 and the mini is running Leopard.

The error is: "0x0000000a irql_not_less_or_equal" which suggests it might be a driver problem from what I've read.

However I can go no further then this. I have included a link to the minidump and attached the debuglog.txt (what I got after putting the minidump through Window's dubugging tools) to this post in the hope that some kind soul can interpret it for me, and narrow the search for the culprit down a bit.

Many thanks,

Paul

Attachments

• debuglog.txt
    18.9 KB · Views: 173

Chrisoldinho

Hi,

The background to my BSOD is that I have a Mac mini and a Dell XPS 420 connected together via a KVM switch. However when I try and switch between them I sometimes get a BSOD when I'm switching to the Dell. The Dell is running Vista x32 and the mini is running Leopard.

The error is: "0x0000000a irql_not_less_or_equal" which suggests it might be a driver problem from what I've read.

However I can go no further then this. I have included a link to the minidump and attached the debuglog.txt (what I got after putting the minidump through Window's dubugging tools) to this post in the hope that some kind soul can interpret it for me, and narrow the search for the culprit down a bit.

Many thanks,

Paul

The Stop 0xA message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, to me it suggests a problem with DEP (Data Execution Prevention) on Windows Vista/XP - DEP is intended to prevent an application or service from executing code from a non-executable memory region but sometimes it can do more harm than good.

I would at first try and disable DEP, the easiest way to do this is to run a Command Prompt as an Administrator and type:

Code:
bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

I would try and run it like this for a while and see if the problem stops, if it does I would then suggest this is your problem.

To re-enable DEP:

Code:
bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

Once you know DEP is to blame you can turn it back on then painfully work through your Third Party application's that you've installed and manually create an exception for DEP so just that one program won't use DEP. I had to do this to get Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 working again for me on Vista Home Premium x86 SP1.

Hope this helps, Chris.

Pbryanw

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I will try disabling DEP with the command in your post.

Hopefully that'll fix it :smashin:

Thanks,

Paul

Pbryanw

It seems that disabling DEP has solved my BSOD problem (touchwood). :smashin:

However I am just wondering if it's ok just to leave DEP off instead of going through my drivers to find the one causing the problems.

Will it leave me open to other security related problems if I don't switch it back on again?

Thanks,

Paul

Pbryanw

It seems that the DEP thing was a red herring. I just got another 0x000000a BSOD with DEP turned off. I've been reading info about my minidump on the 'net and it seems my problem is related to Task Scheduler and something trying to access an irql address that doesn't exist.

Anyway, it's gone above my head so I'm off to e-mail Belkin technical support and hopefully they can suggest something.

Chrisoldinho

Prehaps viewing the task scheduler to see what is there may help? Sometimes applications like Norton for example like to write themselves into every part of your system which inturn creates problems.

I know you don't wish to do this but does removing the Belkin device fix the problem?

Alternatively as a last resort could you backup your data and do a fresh install. then immediately install the belkin stuff before anything else. run it for a day or so and see how it goes...

if it's fine (fingers crossed) then re-install software gradually.

It's not nice to have to do this but sometimes it becomes a necessity as what your experiencing could either be a conflict with your Windows version or conflicting with another application and the best way to find out what is to re-install.

Sorry I cannot be more specific with help, but it could be worth forwarding off your data to MS and asking for assistance as it certainly sounds like something is conflicting with the OS.

Chris.

Oh and you can leave DEP off :) Most anti-viruses don't allow things to use that part of the memory either...Obviously if you can use it you might as well but if you can't don't loose any sleep over it.

N-assist

Standard Member
HI Pbryanw

My name is Mike and I am working for an external Symantec-Support-Team.
We are sorry to hear about your problem.

I loaded your dump into WinDBG - the debugging tools for windows.

Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!xxxLoadKeyboardLayoutEx+292 )

This seems consistent with the KVM switching. According to call stack this has nothing to do with Norton or any other AV software. This seems to be a problem with Vistas own keyboard driver. Perhaps Windows Update or Dell has a fix ? It might even need a BIOS update.

Call stack:

9e5bdb6c 82af5c60 00000002 fdf8edc8 fe50d140 nt!NtFreeVirtualMemory+0x69a
9e5bdb94 811b184e 87f76270 00000002 00000000 nt!PspExitProcess+0x77
9e5bdbb0 81165856 fe50d140 00000040 1f711662 win32k!xxxLoadKeyboardLayoutEx+0x292
9e5bdc20 81160e03 fe8093c0 00000401 00000000 win32k!CheckDesktopPolicy+0x2e
9e5bdc94 811b2669 fe403aa0 1f7116a6 0019f584 win32k!NtUserSetWindowsHookEx+0x38
9e5bdce4 811b20c7 9e5bdd14 000025ff 00000000 win32k!vSrcCopyS4D4+0x74
9e5bdd48 82a99a7a 0019f584 00000000 00000000 win32k!vSrcCopyS1D4+0xda
9e5bdd64 77359a94 badb0d00 0019f518 00000000 nt!IopAddRunTimeTriageDataBlocks+0x38
WARNING: Frame IP not in any known module. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Following frames may be wrong.
9e5bdd7c 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 0x77359a94[/FONT]

Best Regards, Mike

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom