1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone identify this film?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Setenza, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Hopefully there are some knowledgeable film buffs out there who can help me identify a this films.

A British-made horror B-flick produced at the end of the Seventies or the start of the Eighties. It was shown as a support feature to the American vignette horror film 'Creepshow'.

The plot was: a Punch and Judy man at a dowdy English seaside resort goes off the rails. Wearing the Mr Punch puppet on one hand, he goes around battering people to death with a pickaxe handle, all the while scolding his victims with Mr Punch-style patter, with the swozzle stick firmly in place.

The film was notable for its absurd premise, parochial feel, hilarious ending (the Punch and Judy man falls into a Council rubbish compactor), and unrealistic swearing ("You bloody bastard!").

Very keen to find out the title of this film: I do know that it was not called 'That's the way to do it'.

Any ideas?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: Sounds like some bad acid trip! You sure you didn't make this up Xusia?!

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Xusia,

I was intrigued by your question and I asked about this movie on the mailing list for members of the Magic Circle (P&J is regarded as a sort of kindred art.) As I expected, someone there came up with a possible answer. This is from his reply...

"Bert,

"I think I have found it...

"KILLER PUNCH (1982) - one of the three shorts later compiled into the feature SCREAMTIME; this one's about a Punch-and-Judy man who brings the traditional seaside story to life, with himself in the role of the psychotic Mr.Punch.

"The information appears on the website:
    http://www.british-horror.fsnet.co.uk/HTML/short.htm

"I then looked up Screamtime at imdb.com, and found that it was made in 1983, which fits in about the time you were expecting. For further information take a look at: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0086263

"Hope this helps.

"All the best

"Gordon Drayson"

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

4. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply.

Thats the one.

Great!