1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone help with my problems with an In-Win CR-i530 card reader?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by IronMonkey, Oct 7, 2004.

1. IronMonkey

IronMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone. I thought I'd ask this question here as there is such a large userbase that someone must be able to help me!

I'm having problems with a new card reader that I just bought a few days ago. I've sent both the manufacturer and the place I bought it from e-mails to ask why it is not working, but I thought I'd also post the e-mail on here to explain my situation and see if anyone can come up with any suggestions.

Bear in mind I'm not new to PCs - I've been using them for over 10 years so I know what I'm doing! A simple card reader should be easy for me to install! Especially under Windows XP!

Anyway, here's the e-mail (sorry, its quite long but I needed to explain everything I have done to try to rectify the situation):

Again, appologies for the length of the mail, but for anyone who does actually read the whole thing and knows what they're doing with PCs, please chip in your thoughts!

Thanks people!

2. IronMonkey

IronMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone? :lease:

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you format any media in the card reader?

4. IronMonkey

IronMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, I can't do a thing with the card when its in the reader. I spoke to the company I bought the reader from and they say it might not be getting enough power from the onboard USB header.

If that is so, then how come the USB port on the card reader (which is connected to the same header) works fine?! I just cannot get my head round this problem!

5. rojcowles

rojcowles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dunno if I can help but I see the same thing, especially in my non-admin user account.

This is with the following home built PC

ASUS A7V880 MB
    Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton core)
    2x512Mb Corsair PC3200 ValueRAM
    80Gb WD hard drive ATA100, 8Mb cache
    Lite-On DVD/CD-RW combo
    NEC 2500 DVD-R
    Diamond Stealth S540 32Mb PCI ( don't ask, couldn't get a Sapphire 9600XT to work in this box :()
    Antec case with 350W PSU
    XP Pro SP2
    In-Win CR i530 card reader with only the USB headers connected.

I find, though, that if I log in as Administrator, open the Device Manager,

My Computer->Properties->Hardware->Device Manager

Expand the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers", select "USB Mass Storage Device", Disable it, then Enable it again with a CF card in the slot I find that the reader is recognised by XP and my 512Mb Transcend CF card is suddenly mounted as a disk drive and I can copy my pictures off it.

Trouble is I don't like doing lots of work as Admin as I've tubed Windows NT based installations on my home PC before running my user with Admin privileges so I tend to take a more UNIX-y (or would that be Type A ???) view of system admin.

I even tried dicking about with the BIOS as there were some options to modify the delay and emulation type ( ? and ??? respectively) but to no avail.

I suspect that this is actually a problem between the ASUS BIOS and the Windows XP USB drivers as I believe that the card reader only uses the default Windows XP SP1 (or above) USB drivers.

Think I'll have a poke about on the MS and ASUS web sites and see if I can find anything interesting.

--
    Roj

6. IronMonkey

IronMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well its good to hear its not just me thats having problems with an ASUS motherboard and the In-Win CR-i530 card reader.

I downloaded a USB 2.0 driver from the ASUS Web site but when I read the readme.txt file, it said that the driver was not needed for users of Windows XP Service Pack 1 and above because Service Pack 1 includes said driver.

I am still at a loss as to what to do. I've not managed to get it working yet, but I'll try your suggestion of disabling and then re-enabling the device within Device Manager.

Thanks!

7. rojcowles

rojcowles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually just noticed that I don't have any drive letters now for the card reader and the Device Manager shows a yellow "!" by the USB Mass Storage device.

Going to properties for the device shows

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

Which means I have to turn off the PC and then do a hard power down from the switch round the back before I can get my drives recognised again.

Needless to say nothing useful on MS, ASUS or the In-Win web sites ... :(

Let you know if I find anything as directly connecting my camera to the PC via a USB cable works but file transfer is about 5x slower than the card reader (when its working that is ... :))

--

Roj

8. rojcowles

rojcowles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One final thought, I noticed that theres an updated BIOS for my MB on the ASUS site, 1.007 available I have 1.004 flashed right now. I might give that a shot to see if it helps if it does there may be hope for your board too.

There is a 1012 BIOS out for your MB but it just says "Support Sempron" so I guess that doesn't help, even going back a few Revs just shows memory module compatibility fixes, nothing to do with USB.

Wonder if In-Win has any firmware updates for the card reader ?

--
    Roj

9. IronMonkey

IronMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is exactly the same as what I get. I have the same yellow "!" next to the USB Mass Storage Device in Device Manager. This is getting really annoying now.

I thought about updating my BIOS too, but haven't had the chance to do that yet. I have no floppy drive so I'll have to use the Windows version of the ASUS BIOS updater, which I've never done before but it should be ok. I'm always a little wary of updating the BIOS...

10. rojcowles

rojcowles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... as a last resort.

Flashed mine to the latest/greatest and it made no difference.

Did hear from In-Win US but I don't have anything useful to report yet (need to take the reader out of my PC to get the serial number as I didn't note it down when I put the box together ... amatuer or what ?!?!?)

Anyway, more when/if I have it.

--

Roj

11. IronMonkey

IronMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you find the latest firmware? I looked on Google but didn't come up with anything.

I flashed my motherboard BIOS from v.1008 to v.1012 last night and it worked fine through the Windows BIOS update program that came with my motherboard.

The card reader still won't work though. I want to upgrade the firmware in it just to cover every angle. I'm just thinking that if we both e-mail ASUS then they may be able to work their technical wizardry to include support for the card reader in their next BIOS update, since it seems to be a problem at their end.

Like I said before, my card reader works fine in my second PC so it must be working fine and not faulty. It seems the ASUS motherboard just doesn't like it.

Our next step could just be to ask ASUS to add support for the device in their next BIOS release...

12. rojcowles

rojcowles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After talking with the In-Win US they replaced my card reader. I believe that some CR-i530 readers have odd incompatibilities with some motherboard chip sets. The In-Win RMA dept. was very helpful and had the new reader back to me about a week (maybe a day or two less) after I sent in the old one.

So far its looking good, the new reader has performed a lot better than the old one in terms of reliably recognising my Compact Flash cards and reading the files. Sooo much faster than transferring these files from the camera using the USB cable too.

--
    Roj