Can anyone help with a quick eARC question please?

Gravity17

Standard Member
Hi all,

A bit of info for context. I have recently upgraded to a Yamaha RX-V6A and currently have all devices plugged into it via HDMI in and then a single HDMI out from the receiver to the TV ARC HDMI port. My old receiver did not have ARC so I never really understood how it works.

Currently the RX-V6A has an issue with [email protected] which they are hoping to fix by firmware (though this is not guaranteed). I am looking to get an LG OLED55G1 and my question is as follows.

The 55G1 has 4 HDMI 2.1 ports, and one of them is eARC (HDMI 2). Given the current RX-V6A issue I was wondering if it is possible to connect HDMI ports 1, 3 & 4 direct to an Xbox Series X, a PS5 and a PC respectively, and then connect the eARC HDMI 2 to the receiver and still receive the sound from xbox/ps5/pc through the receiver/speakers?

Or am I talking absolute nonsense? I wonder if I am, and that the way I am currently using it (all in to receiver and 1 out to TV), is the only way it would work?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if it is a stupid question (or answered elsewhere, I didn't know where to start).

Hi all,

A bit of info for context. I have recently upgraded to a Yamaha RX-V6A and currently have all devices plugged into it via HDMI in and then a single HDMI out from the receiver to the TV ARC HDMI port. My old receiver did not have ARC so I never really understood how it works.

Currently the RX-V6A has an issue with [email protected] which they are hoping to fix by firmware (though this is not guaranteed). I am looking to get an LG OLED55G1 and my question is as follows.

The 55G1 has 4 HDMI 2.1 ports, and one of them is eARC (HDMI 2). Given the current RX-V6A issue I was wondering if it is possible to connect HDMI ports 1, 3 & 4 direct to an Xbox Series X, a PS5 and a PC respectively, and then connect the eARC HDMI 2 to the receiver and still receive the sound from xbox/ps5/pc through the receiver/speakers?

Or am I talking absolute nonsense? I wonder if I am, and that the way I am currently using it (all in to receiver and 1 out to TV), is the only way it would work?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if it is a stupid question (or answered elsewhere, I didn't know where to start).
Yes. (You can do that).

Upvote 0

dante01

Distinguished Member
Your current AV receiver has no issue with 4K/120Hz. Yamaha haven't as yet update that model to give it any ability to handle such video. Yamaha haven't as yet issued the firmware revision that will give any of their latest models the additional capabilities associated with HDMI version 2.1.

If your TV is eARC enabled then you'd be able to connect your XBox to any of the other HDMI inputs on that TV and then be able to passthrough multichannel PCM or HD formatted audio sourced via the console to the AV receiver via eARC. Conventional ARC cannot convey HD formatted audio or multichannel PCM. Only one of the HDMI inputs on your TV will be ARC/eARC anabled and it is this input that should be connected to your AV receiver's ARC enabled output.

If wanting to use ARC or eARC to convey audio being passed through or sourced via your TV to the AV receuiver then you'd need to enable ARC onboard both the TV and the AV receiver. If doing this onboard the AV receiver then you'd also need to turn on HDMI CONTROL on the RXV6A. I'm not familiar with your TV so cannot give you detailed guidance on configuring it for ARC or eARC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dorian

Hi all,

I an doing exactly this with an LG CX65 and a Sony STR-DN1080. My Xbox Series X is connected directly to the TV, nVIdia Shield and bluray are still connected to the AVR. It works brilliantly. All the HDMI 2.1 benefits with the XSX, with sound going to the AVR. The TV can see the individual devices attached to the AVR and lists them as inputs. The TV turns the AVR on and off and controls the volume. Unless I need to change settings, I don't need the AVR remote any more.

This assumes you have a good bug-free eARC implementation on your AVR of course. The Sony works really well, hopefully your Yammy will too.

Upvote 0

Pug72

Dorian, do you have any lip sync issues with Atmos from the Xbox over eARC?

I ask as I'm upgrading tv & AVR soon but my current setup (LG C8 & Denon 2200) gives me bad lip sync over ARC with Xbox Atmos if plugged straight into tv. Xbox into AVR is fine though.

Basically I'm trying to find out if I can plug my consoles straight into the tv and use eARC without sync problems, so I can just upgrade to a cheaper eARC AVR instead of waiting for the HDMI 2.1 updates to settle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dorian

Yes and no! I have noticed that watching YouTube videos on the XSX does present some lip sync issues. My theory is the low latency mode on the Xbox is the cause (not the problem obviously as it's a good thing, but the picture maybe gets ahead of the sound because of it). But I usually use the Sheild for YouTube.

For the BluRay and Shield connected to the AVR, no lip sync issues at all there on any material.

An interesting point to note with eARC is that lip sync is mandatory, whereas it was optional on ARC, so you should find it much better.

To answer your question, I would say yes you can do what you're thinking of, it's working really well for me. And yes as long as you've got eARC then you don't really need full HDMI 2.1 support. I am thinking of changing my Sony 1080 to something with better sound and am planning to use eARC to get round the HDMI 2.1 issue.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom