• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can anyone help value my current TV?

spanky2k

Established Member
I've ordered a new TV but my father-in-law (to be) wants to buy my current TV off of me rather than I sell it elsewhere. So can anyone suggest how much it might be worth?

It's a Samsung LE46F86BDX in perfect condition with ~1.5 year's John Lewis warranty left on it. The cheapest Samsung 46" LCD available at the moment is £549.99 on Comet so I'm guessing ~£400 for my model might be reasonable.

the whistler

Established Member
John Lewis value their Tv's over a 6 year life expectancy. i.e after 6 years its value is zero. So divide the original cost by 6 and that gives you its yearly depreciation. This is the value JL would give you if it went faulty beyond repair.

spanky2k

Established Member
I'm not so sure about that. Looking at posts where people have got cash when their 4.5 year old TVs are beyond economical repair it looks like they give *way* more than that. It looks like the going rate for faulty ones is £300-£400 on eBay although they haven't sold yet.

A.I.

Prominent Member
I assume your future father in law will be contributing a reasonable amount of cash towards your wedding in which case you should ask him to accept it as a small gift.

Pre owned Samsung are not worth that much anyway.

howardlamby

Established Member
I assume your future father in law will be contributing a reasonable amount of cash towards your wedding in which case you should ask him to accept it as a small gift.

Pre owned Samsung are not worth that much anyway.

Yes, if that was me I'd give it to him.

spanky2k

Established Member
Yes, if that was me I'd give it to him.

He wouldn't be happy taking it for free, trust me. I've given it to him now so I think I'll just leave it until he remembers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom