1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone help?? Question about American head-units picking up UK radio............

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by TannyGee, Mar 23, 2005.

1. TannyGee

TannyGee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK... here's the deal... I bought a 2004 Sony Xplod MP3/CD head unit on ebay a little while ago, from a seller who stated he was in the UK, so I assumed that the stereo would be from the UK also... I was wrong! Not only did I get stung for Import tax, but the bloomin radio doesn't even pick up UK stations (unless it is an odd number, i.e. I can pick up 99.9 FM or 100.1 FM, but not 100.00 FM). :oops:

I was hoping someone might know of a way to add DAB or even normal radio to this head unit rather than me having to buy a new one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :lease:

Cheers! :)

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Welcome to the forums :)

Firstly, your font colour is barely readable.

Secondly I know US radiobands have different spacings on MW (10kHz and not our 9kHz, IIRC) but I thought they were okay on FM. What does the manual say ?

Mike.

3. Jamie C

Jamie C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get a 'signal bender' ( i think they are known as that iirc) which i think goes into the aerial lead and adjusts the signal enough so that whilst your unit is tuning to an odd step in the fm scale youll actually receive the even step in the scale above or below the displayed tuned frequency.

Damned if i can remember where to get them from though.

And i think they were unreliable too. Whilst they work just fine they dont do it for long. Heard reports of replacement required every coupla months or so.

HTH

4. TannyGee

TannyGee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies...

Hi Mike, unfortunately the manual says nothing on how to adjust the fm tuning to pick up the even step. However, whilst flipping through I found a section on 'Connecting auxiliary audio equipment' which mentions being able to attach portable Sony devices to the unit's AUX IN terminal.... do you think this may be an option I can explore?

Hi Jamie, thanks for the suggestion - I will enquire in my local car stereo shop about a signal bender - even if it does need replacing every few months it would be preferable to no radio at all!

Thankyou! :)

5. Jamie C

Jamie C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. ACE16

ACE16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As part of my job, I fit Blaupunkt head units to US spec cars. On these, if you hold in buttons 3 and 6 and then switch the unit on, you can then select either US or European tuning.

I don't know if Sony uses this sort of system but it would be nice if they did :cool: