1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone help out on this ALIS issue

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by robbster, Sep 2, 2003.

1. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi

I have asked this question in another thread before but I just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing this problem. When I play the TV through progressive scan I seem to get a bit of ghosting to the right of pictures. I have tried 3 different DVD players and different component cables but they all produce the same result. So i'm guessing it is a problem with the TV. I just wondered if there is anyway this can be fixed? by hitachi, service menu etc? My display is a 42pd3000

Any advice would be appreciated

Rob

2. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats interesting, could be the panel?, though when I had the same screen I did not notice any ghosting that you refer to. I had other display problems.

May be an idea to get Hitachi invloved, or rather their outsourced plasma support company, Endeva. I guess first point of call would be the dealer you purchased the panel from.

With regard to the Service menu, I never managed to find out how to get into it.

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I'd agree with tbrar on this one that it could be the panel as I don't get any ghosting on my 42PD3000 if I use progressive scan from my Yamaha S540 DVD player.

John

4. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've sent off an email to hitachi so I will wait and see what happens tbrar.

Thats interesting johndon. I can mainly see the ghosting on the DVD when i have the DVD players setup menu onscreen. If you look to the right of the white letters theres deffinately a shadow, ghost.

Cheers

Rob

5. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Does adjusting sharpness on your screen make any difference? I have to admit, I have a tiny ghosting problem with my screen and progressive scan dvd players too (Sony KE32TS2E). I've tried the denon 2900 and Sony 930, both give me slight amount of ghosting (about the same amount). It's not major, and anyone normal would say I was being fussy, but it's an inperfection none the less. Even considering this, my screen does perform a lot better with progressive scan than with interlace.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I wouldn't be too sure it's sending that as a progressive signal. Just like DD/DTS only starts with the movie. Can you tell what the panel is recieving, to check that? If it's most noticeable on stationary menu, I doubt Hitachi will get very excited about it, it's not important. Irritating to you maybe! It might be something to do with the player struggling with PS on the menu, and nothing to do with the plasma. Putting myself in the place of your retailer, I'd never have recommended you PS, and advised against it in the 1st place, or tried to persuade you to buy a different screen. It's simply not well suited. My advice is get a life if it's just the menu that's so bothersome, and if it's really a serious problem during the movie, turn it off, it's not doing anything for you.

7. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    My screen says 480p or 576p when that's what's being sent to it. I am using belden video brilliance cables terminated with Canare RCA plugs, but I have tried others. I can see it with the dvd OSD setup menus. I can see the ghosting in the avia sharpness, resolution and pixel cropping tests. I can occasionaly see it while watching dvds but it's rare. It doesn't bother me that much, as it's only very slight, but I thought i'd mention it.

8. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    MAW I was simply stating that I can see it clearly on the menu setup and thats one of the places its most visable. As cybersoga said it can be seen on setup screens too from avia and video essensials. Movies aint too bad but in high contrast pictures and text it can be seen.

Cheers

Rob

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Understand that , but if movies 'ain't too bad' I'd suggest it's the players struggling with the high contast menu, does it say 576p with the menu up BTW?

10. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It doesnt say on the hitachi's what mode it is in, well i cant see anything. Only way i know is you can see it switching from interlaced to progressive and vice versa.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And does that work with the menu up?

12. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    When I said I could see ghosting on the menu I was refering to the DVD players not the TV's although the TV menu ghosts aswell. You can have the hitachi's setup menu up and switch on the DVD player between interlaced and progressive. Only thing that happens is that the menu will go off and you have to turn on the menu again.

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If the menu goes off when you press progressive, it's probably not diplayed progressively, in which case you have a general case of ghosting. Where's your centre speaker, and is it shielded? Look for interference on the umbilical cable, is it tied to the power cable, next to a mains cable in the wall, etc. I hate to say it but when you buy an integrated tv plasma, you are reliquishing control of your £3K to a 3rd party. I have found tuner cables to be particularly difficult in this respect, not just Hitachi, I've had the most horriffic episodes with a Pio. HDE on similar lines. That's why I hate the things so much. On Friday I'm off to take someone's Panny tuner out, he's fed up with it. You've not got that option, so check the cable carefully, and the component cable. But, as I said, you gain a big fat zero benefit from progressive scan in any case, in fact you may be bypassing your screens built in video processing.

14. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the reply MAW

I have tried the things you suggested ( crossed cabes etc) with no success. One thing I have noticed though is that through the interlaced output from the DVD there is interferance (like speckles) on a plain background ie blue. Using the TV built in noise reduction features on max eliminates this but leaves the interferance stationary. Switching it to progressive makes the screen solid with no interferance what so ever. Could this be a bad output from the DVD player or is it a problem with the TV and how it converts it onto the screen?

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Can you borrow another DVD player to try? Preferably a prog.scan obviously. Perhaps someone here could help, whereabouts are you?