1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can anyone help on my pc problem?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by robbster, Dec 24, 2003.

1. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi

I'm having problems with my computer at the moment and I wonder if anyone can help out?
    The problem is it keeps crashing for no apparent reason. I think it could be a power problem but im not entirely sure. When it hangs I get vertical lines going up the screen and I cant do a thing and a reboot is needed. No messages come up when windows boots up again. A few months ago I installed an amd 2400+ cpu and it has been fine up untill the past few days, the only thing that I could see up until now was interferance on the monitor esspecialy when the hard drives where spinning.
    Any ideas on how to find out what is causing the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Epox 8k7a+
    amd 2400+
    512 mb
    300w psu
    geforce 2
    120gb hdd
    20gb hdd
    windows xp
    pioneer 104 dvdrw
    scsi card

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,076
    I am no PC expert but it could be a video card problem. Have you tried updating the video card drivers?

Greg

3. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi greg

I too thought it could be the video card and i tried updating the video card drivers and have tried several ones but its still the same. Maybe the video card is on its way out?

cheers

Rob

4. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No claim to being a expert here either. Two things that occur to me - 300W sounds a bit lightweight (especially if its a cheapo power supply). the other is updating the bios. i had wierd crash problems that all magically disappeared after i updated the bios.

Does it crash just sitting there doing nothing or do you have to be using it? heat/cold related?

Only other thing is to pull all the components and re seat them in case there is a dodgy connection.

good luck

Robert

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,536
    your description sounds like a hardware crash, rather than software.

I would check the fan on the CPU firstly.

Then, i would remove each piece of hardware individually, and by using a process of elimination. You should find your culprit!

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,752
    Agree with mjn here. Also it would be worth while just opening up the case and making sure that things are firmly attached to their sockets etc. I once put a new processor in and after a while when things got hotter inside the case the fan started slipping off the processor so it wasn't doing it's job properly (initially caused by me not doing my job properly :blush: )

7. adc2000974

adc2000974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would argue that the video card is on its way out, damaged electrically maybe, a surge or something similar. If you can try another video card or other hardware you might have to single out the problem.
    When you described lines on the screen is it with a black background or green maybe? or does it still hold its previous image in memory, just a thought okey.

Goodluck
    Adam C

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely a graphics card problem IMO. Had a GF2 which did exactly the same thing :eek:

9. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi

Thanks for all the advice guys :clap:

I borrowed an old 4mb graphic card (only one my friends had spare lol) and although it crashed once it has been on all night now and has been ok :)
    So i'm wondering if maybe a new psu is needed as this old graphic card doesnt use as much power. Or my geforce 2 is just knackered and needs replacing?

cheers

Rob

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Is the replacement video card the same type as the one you took out, ie. are they both PCI or both AGP? If they're not then you're not completely comparing like with like.

I find your description of your problem, seemingly to get worse when the hard disk is in use, interesting, that would imply to me a potential PSU problem, as others have noted, or noise on the bus which IMHO isn't necessarily first-off an indication of video card problems.

11. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the advice KraGorn, both cards were agp. I think tomorrow I will go shopping and maybe get a new 400w psu. If that doesnt solve the problem then at least I have a good psu for future use :)

12. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    AMD systems are renowned for needing a decent power supply, of at least 350w. And even then if it says 350 on the spec it often doesn't supplu it. You only need one component to be deteriorating slightly and pulling more power to be able to work and everything can crash, even though with a better power supply it would still work fine.

13. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi

Well i finally got round to getting a new 420w PSU (well the whole case with psu) and it hasnt crashed as yet fingers crossed. I'm still getting interferance on the screen though ( like wavey lines). So maybe it is the graphic card after all. I know when i fitted my amd 2400+ that i had to download beta firmware to get it to run on my epox motherboard and that it is really at its limits running the CPU. Maybe this too could be the cause im not entirely sure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Rob

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,752
    It's not something as simple as a strong magnet near the screen is it ? Mobile/cordless phones placed right next to a screen can cause problems.