1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone help my faulty Panny? Panasonic TX-W28R4

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by akbmcf1, May 16, 2005.

1. akbmcf1

akbmcf1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone - this is my first post on AV Forums so good for me!

I was wondering if anyone could help me - I have a Panasonic TX-W28R4 that has developed a fault which is a bit annoying. Every now and then the picture squeezes into about 8 lines in the bottom third of the screen and then bounces back to full size again.

If I wiggle the aerial cable, the picture rights itself, but the telly has also started turning itself onto standby now!! Again, wiggling the aerial cable seems to stop this happening.

Is this a known/common problem? Is it just a loose connection/dodgy solder joint? Is it easy/worth repairing or is there something more sinister at fault? I have gone to a local TV repair shop that told me they automatically carry out all repairs that cost up to £95 + VAT, but to me this seems to say to them "Yeh, it's okay for you to charge me £95 + VAT for resoldering a dodgy connection!"

Can anyone help? I like my telly, and it was a wedding pressie from my parents so (sorry to be sickly) it's not just a telly if you see what I mean.

Thanks for your help.

2. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    akbmcf1 - Welcome :)

Nice easy one! :D

Dry joints on the frame IC. Gauranteed. Can be done in-situ. Don't be bullsh*tted or pay more than £50. :)

3. BlakesHeaven

BlakesHeaven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I've got the same fault with the set going to standby and like you it was our first TV together.
    It's over six years old now and all of a suddend the picture went fuzzy to a few seconds before it went to standby. Since then the longest it will stay on for is about 10 -15 seconds.
    I expect you have either replaced or resolved your issue by now. Any chance of sharing?
    Thanks.

4. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    BlakesHeaven - ditto.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  5. ccs1

ccs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the newbie question but what is a "frame IC"? My TX-W28R4 has developed a similar (if not the same) fault where the picture often cuts out and more recently has been sending itself to standby. After unplugging it over night it worked this morning but after a few minutes it started tweaking out again. I suspected dodgy capacitors on the power board but this thread piqued my curiousity. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance!

6. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Welcome to the forum. :)

If you don't know what a frame IC is, how did you come to suspect "dodgy capacitors on the power board"? :confused:

A decent TV engineer will have it repaired quickly and quite cheaply.

I wonder if the ignorant akbmcf1 or BlakesHeaven ever got theirs done. :rolleyes:

7. ccs1

ccs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know a little about electronics but not enough to know what a frame IC is. I just had a repair man around and he said that just the service charge will be really expensive, probalby over 100 quid. I'm trying to decide if it's worth attempting to fix it myself or just bin it. Thanks so much for your help :thumbsup:

8. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    He's robbing you.

It could be dry joints on the frame IC, if so, it can be done on site in well under an hour. If the frame IC needs replacing, they're only a few quid. So an hour's labour, call out and possibly the cost of the IC.

£50 - £70 max.

But it depends where you are. Maybe West Yorkshire's one of the cheaper parts of the UK. :rotfl:

9. akbmcf1

akbmcf1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Grumpy Old Troll, it's the ignorant akbmcf1 here. Was just reviewing my original posting from an age ago and realised that I never came back to say thanks for your help and yes I did get it done and it's been working fine ever since.

So, thanks. Better late than never, eh?

10. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    4 years later! :rotfl:

Glad to hear my diagnosis was correct and it's still working.

:thumbsup: