Can anyone help me with these questiouns please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tony kop77, Mar 24, 2006.

1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    I want to buy a true HD dvd player and wuld like some help please.

Where can I buy a true HD player frm no upscaled and how much should I expect to pay?.

Can I still play my old dvd films on a new player?

I have heard the sound will be better etc but will I need to buy a new amp to get the best out of HD?

If the players are cheap I might buy one HD and another Blue ray. I was thinking of getting Sky HD but as it is only available in May I think I will buy a HD player because the footbal season will be over, not many HD chanels available on sky, if a film is decent i wuld buy it on dvd or watch it at cnema anyway and i spend most of my time playing games.

2. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Well, the only HD players you can get right now are things like the Snazio 1350, which plays WMVHD & DiVXHD files, amongst others. These can be downloaded to your pc & then streamed to the Snazio via ethernet. Or, you can download films to a seperate hard disc drive & hook that to the Snazio. They cost about £230, or thereabouts, & can be bought from tmfsolutions. Contact forum member Joe Fernand, who works there. However, there is a limited amount of films & clips available, but possibly enough to keep you going. And, no doubt, the catalogue will continue to grow. Snazio plays almost every current file you can think of inc. SD DVD.

HD-DVD & Blu-ray cannot be bought here yet. And HD-DVD is only just being released in the U.S. I believe their players are being priced at $500 for the basic player, which only delivers stereo Dolby True HD sound. Whereas, the more expensive one, which is several hundred $ more, will have full surround Dolby True HD. Your reciever will be able to handle Dolby True HD delivered from the analogue outputs of the player into the analogue ins of your reciever, or traditional Dolby 5.1 via digital coaxial etc. But, as yet, no reciever can take Dolby True HD/DTS HD via digital inputs. Blu-ray players will be later & Pioneer anounced their's would cost $1800, but other Blu-ray manufacturers will surely deliver something cheaper. However, Blu-ray is behind HD-DVD in terms of release dates. I believe they will be making HD-DVD & Blu-ray players backwards compatible with SD DVD.

T.

3. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Thanks for your help. I bought the latest Nuts and Zoo magazine and it has a samsung Blu-Ray player which it says will be released in May.
    I noticed a few months back that Movietyme were selling a Toshiba HD player and I think in Home Cinema magazine they had Blu-Ray V HD and there was abut 20 films that were going to be released in April and May such as the new Harry Potter, King Kong, Twister Jarhead etc and it got me a bit excited and I just thought I would be better off buying one of these players rather than buy HD sky for the sake of 3 extra chanels.

4. Attu

Attu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    If you want to go with Blue-ray the first player avalable will be the Samsung BD-P1000 which has a retail price of $1,000 so expect to be paying about £800 for it over here.
    Toshiba are bringing out a HD-DVD player the HD-A1 that will be about £300, but both of these are for the US launch as have all the dates.
    I wouldnt take what magazines like Nuts and Zoo say as gosple as buy the time they go to print ttheir news is out of date anyway and they have probably writen the stories with data that you or i could find on the internet anyway.
    In reality the launch dates are for the US market and i would think it will be Christmas at least before we start seeing them in out local Comet.

Andy

5. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Thanks again for your help I appreciate it. I wnt but from Comet though :rotfl: although I hear HD wont have any region coding but that might not be true.
    I am prepared to save and spend £300-400 on a HD if it outputs true DD and DTS. I wont pay £800 for a player, just to check you say when HD is released I wll be able to play my old dvd films n the player and it will upscale it to 720 and 1080?
    If I have to wait a while for a HD or blue ray player to be released i might just get Sky HD instead because i bought the tv for 360 but I also want to take advantage of HD.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    Hello crazzy kopite

You have to be clear on what your asking for!

You seem to be mixing up Video Standards and Delivery methods.

High Definition video can be delivered on Tape (D-VHS), from a PC or MAC, from a Networked Media Streamer (such as SnaZio SZ1310) or from DVD Rom Discs (such as SnaZio SZ1350, KISS DP-600, Transgear etc

Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD are non compatible High Capacity, High Definition capable, Optical disc delivery systems that also include backwards compatibly with Standard Definition DVD Video discs in the Player specs.

You'll also have to ensure the Blu-ray Disc or HD DVD player you purchase is a 'full spec' player as there are bound to be some shortcomings with first generation players.

The SnaZio Net DVD Cinema HD player (and similar devices outlined above) will play DVD Video discs and offer you up-conversion to 720P and 1080i on Component video and non HDCP DVI (or HDMI) if you require that function along with playing back certain types of HD files from a DVD Rom disc or stream files over your LAN.

Best regards

Joe

7. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    I just want a player that will play HD discs that will be coming and is true HD not upscale it to 720 and I would like a player that will also play my current dvd films.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    Hello crazzy kopite

The SnaZio Net DVD Cinema HD player (and alternatives) are streaming and playing back 'True' High Definition files - the Transport Stream, DivxHD, MPEG4 etc files are encode at 720P or 1080i.

If you want to wait on one of the New High Capacity, High Definition capable Optical Disc formats you have to decide if you want an HD DVD or Blu-ray Disc player - or wait and see if one of the 'fabled' combination players appears.

You cant play an HD DVD disc in a Blu-ray Disc player and vice versa though both types of player will play DVD Video discs - and will most likely up-scale your discs to 720P or 1080i.

Best regards

Joe