Can anyone help me with my tuner for the Thomson Wysius??

S

stuck

HELP!!!!!

Im so dumb when it comes to my TV I dont even know the right terminology to use to describe what is happening! Bear with me - I think its an easy one.

I bought a Thomson 42WB02/3S about two years ago and it worked great until the other week. Now the PLasma screen itself seems fine but the tuner box thing that plugs into it just constantly has a red light on the front. If I press the remote control it just seems to randomly flash the red light on the front of the tuner box but nothing happens. Normally when it works this red light is a steady green. If I turn it all off then on again I get a steady red light until I use the remote then it randomly flashes again.

Any ideas? Anyone that can help will get a huge :thumbsup: from me!!

it flashes 6 times , then once, then six times, then once etc etc etc

This is going to be expensive isnt it :(

I bought it at Comet in the January sales two years ago. I didnt bother with an extended guarentee - perhaps i should have have - who knows.

It seemed to go wrong when I was trying to connect my cinema surround DVD player to it using the red white and yellow leads with the sockets on the front of the tuner box and it is since then it has gone wrong. That Cinema surround is probably the worst buy in the history of the world - it hasnt worked properly since the day i bought it and now this,

does the flashing lights count help at all? 6, 1, 6, 1, etc

Heres a good one

I have just plugged my pc into the front of the tuner box and it displays!!

:suicide:

any ideas?

does the light stay red? how does the tuner box connect? is it normal VGA input to plasma? personally i would contact THOMSON and COMET first off and get a repair quote seems it may be a minor fasult with the tuner, have you truned the mains off for 30 minutes and tried again? it may just need a full reset what connections are on the actual panel?

A bit late now but if any one else gets the same fault replace the two large capacitors to the left side of the main board with two of identical value ie:2200uf available from maplins for a few pence each. If you are unsure of what you are doing get someone else to do it for you. Time taken no more than 5 minutes.

A bit late now but if any one else gets the same fault replace the two large capacitors to the left side of the main board with two of identical value ie:2200uf available from maplins for a few pence each. If you are unsure of what you are doing get someone else to do it for you. Time taken no more than 5 minutes.

Have done as suggested, no good anything else PLEASE.....
Chris:confused:

I have seen the same problem with my WS3295UF

the tuner box is usually permanently powered and if it is exposed to sustained heat for a long time the circuit boards suffer form long term expansion. If the tuner is turned off for any length of time it cools down and then it would not switch on again

here's a trick that might just work

Go and get your wife's hairdryer, yes hairdryer:eek:

power tv off at the display but leave the power on to the tuner. take the lid off the tuner and use the hairdryer to heat all the boards up in the tuner. then try turning the display on. if it powers up like mine did then it is probably a dry joint some where ( no idea where though) and you will just have to leave the tuner on all the time. Not sure if this is related to the 2 capacitors being changed as suggested earlier.

If it doesn't try giving Barron McCann a call on 01332 866945 about getting it looked at . They repaired my unit before when the synch went

God luck and let us know how you got on

HI,

I had the same problem. I ended up buying one from ebay for 60 pounds. best option i think.

I have another problem though. I have lost the lead communication lead which plugs into the back between the tuner box and the tv. I brough a rs232 null modem cable (cross over cable) but it does not work. Does anyone know what sort of cable i should get for this???????

HI,

I had the same problem. I ended up buying one from ebay for 60 pounds. best option i think.

I have another problem though. I have lost the lead communication lead which plugs into the back between the tuner box and the tv. I brough a rs232 null modem cable (cross over cable) but it does not work. Does anyone know what sort of cable i should get for this???????

I have the cable , let me pin map it and you could make your own

give me a couple of days and Ill post up the mapping

what did you do with your old tuner box? can I have it?

or I'll make you a cable and swap it for your old box

cable pinning is

1-n/a
2-3
3-2
4-6
5-5
6-4
7-8
8-7
9 n/a

HTH:thumbsup:

These Wysius front end boxes seem to have proved unreliable......and just a few years on Thomson no longer seem in this market at all. I have one which displays the 6, 1, 6, 1 plashing red LED as described above. The TV is fine, it is just the FEB94U unit which doesn't work. I would like to bypass it entirely and connect from the Virgin Media box to the TV with SCART.... helpfully SCART is the one thing the TV does not have. I found a Gefen SCART to DVI adapter (http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3258). Is it going to be as simple as using this to bridge between the SCART on the VM box and the DVI cable on the TV? Alternatively, does anyone have a working FEB94U they want to get rid of? How much was the Barron McCann repair mentioned above? Instead of connecting via DVI, could I connect via "RGB in" or RS232?

You won't be able to use the scart to DVI adapter the screen relies on the RS232 control cable to determine the picture size .( I know, I tried it!) so what I have done is use a scart to PC adapter in the form of a Kworld tuner box from maplin that cost around £75. it takes composite/svideo/component in and converts to 1024 x 768 @75hz. it also provides audio control. the picture quality is bearable but the audio is poor with too much interference. I have used an amp for the audio with different speakers direct from the SKY box and its fine as a cheap solution

I would like to try a better quality video converter . but by the time you've done that you might as well have bought a new TV

http://www.lektropacks.com/view_product_standard.php?product=84&department=2&sub1=17&show=54 gave an ok picture and sound when I was loaned it but is expensive

Others can be found here http://www.lektropacks.com/view_products.php?department=2&sub1=17&sub2=54&show=54

Barron McCann are on 01332 866945 call them for a quote , but don't be surprised to have a minimum charge of £150 just for them to open the box

These Wysius front end boxes seem to have proved unreliable......and just a few years on Thomson no longer seem in this market at all. I have one which displays the 6, 1, 6, 1 plashing red LED as described above. The TV is fine, it is just the FEB94U unit which doesn't work. I would like to bypass it entirely and connect from the Virgin Media box to the TV with SCART.... helpfully SCART is the one thing the TV does not have. I found a Gefen SCART to DVI adapter (http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3258). Is it going to be as simple as using this to bridge between the SCART on the VM box and the DVI cable on the TV? Alternatively, does anyone have a working FEB94U they want to get rid of? How much was the Barron McCann repair mentioned above? Instead of connecting via DVI, could I connect via "RGB in" or RS232?

Have you tried replacing the capacitors CP110 & CP160 2200uF in the FEB64U.

Problem solved.... I copied the suggestion above of replacing the two 2200microfarad capacitors - and it now works! I could even replace them without taking out the circuit board (there's a conveniently-sited gap to solder through).

Another solution I was trying was to bypass the front end box altogether. I was going to use a Keene Electronics Synchblaster (http://www.keene.co.uk/pages/downloads/dnl_files/pdfs/Syncblasteri.pdf) GBP60 from Maplin.
It looked promising. I would have had to switch the output of the Virgin Media box to "RGB" from composite.... of course you need to plug it into to a working TV to be able to read the menu on the VM box.......
So, persevere! It can be made to work with few skills and little cost

I tried the cable as a first option

despite setting the sky box to RGB,scart and 16:9 it would not produce a picture with the diaplay putting up a box saying 'frequency out of range'

glad to hear yours is fixed. this weekend I will be digging my unit out and seeing if the same trick will work with mine, although I don't think I have the same LED flashing sequence

I have seen the same problem with my WS3295UF

the tuner box is usually permanently powered and if it is exposed to sustained heat for a long time the circuit boards suffer form long term expansion. If the tuner is turned off for any length of time it cools down and then it would not switch on again

here's a trick that might just work

Go and get your wife's hairdryer, yes hairdryer:eek:

power tv off at the display but leave the power on to the tuner. take the lid off the tuner and use the hairdryer to heat all the boards up in the tuner. then try turning the display on. if it powers up like mine did then it is probably a dry joint some where......

Amazing! That did the trick Thanks Banana!!! I used the hairdryer for 1-2 minutes and then when I plugged in the cord I got a green light instead of the flashing red.:clap:

I subsequently replaced the 2 capacitors cp110 and cp160 after the unit failed to start up even after using the hairdryer and the problem has been permanently resolved

the condition you have, like mine appears to be a transient stage until the capacitors completely fail

easy job and the capacitors are available from any online component supplier for a few pounds

Got the problem again and solved it with the hair-dryer.

I plan on replacing the capacitors but I am not sure how to find them. Can anyone provide a photo?
--P--

send me a pm with your email address and I will send you the circuit diagrams

After 6 years my tuner box has decided to give me the old flashing light trick.

I plan on replacing the capacitors (box is and FEB94U) as mentioned on here but I have no idea where to start and I dont have a clue what they look like. Can anyone (Banana) help?

Just about to try the hairdryer trick so I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom