1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone help me with my Seleco 400?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by FriarTuck, Apr 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FriarTuck

FriarTuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I'm a relative newbie to his forum but have been on avs for some time. I moved to the US 2 years ago and brought with me my trusty Seleco 400HT. I bought a Sony 1292 recently but since I am in rented accomodation cannot put it on the ceiling (far too heavy).

Here's the rub, my Seleco now doesn't power up at all. I experienced no problems leading up to this but now am a bit stuffed. Sim2/Seleco support in the US is very weak.... I was advised by the avs guys to try posting here...

I have used a tester and found that power runs all the way to the power supply but haven't been able to test after the supply. When I look at the status leds on the middle right hand side (from underneath) they dont light at all. One of the status leds on the PSU briefly (and dimly) lights and then fades out.

The tubes only have 1800 hrs on them so I am not really willing to throw it away.

Anyone here have any ideas on what I can do to validate psu, and how easy it is to buy one (and where from, and how much, and and and!)...

Thanks in advance

Friar

2. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you checked the tiny fuse that next to the power cable at the back of the PJ I think they're 5mA. I had a similar problem and it just needed replacing. When you slide out the tray where it's sited there's usually a spare included.

I'm sure Chris Frost will correct me if I'm wrong.

You should have posted this in the OWL forum in the Manaufacturers section, it would get the attention of Alan Roser, Tech Dir of Owl, UK ditributors for Seleco.

Steve

3. FriarTuck

FriarTuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve, but my trusty multimeter shows that there is power all the wayto the psu then nothing... So I guess the fuse is ok and the psu is screwed...

I realized after posting that the OWL forum was better and posted a question there as well..

Thanks

Friar

4. FriarTuck

FriarTuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a start, would anyone be able to guess at the cost of a new power supply?

I have posted on the OWL forum but not had any sort of a reply yet... Had to go out yesterday and buy a new TV... 20" argggh (96" down to 20") although at least its a flat screen (just about gaining popularity here in Mid West).

Friar

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Friar,
    This could be a simple "loose connections" problem.

If you're confident to start probing round a live chassis with a multimeter then I think you'll be OK to try this without killing yourself or the projector.

Disconnect the power to the projector.

Remove the metal cover on the power supply and check that the two plug-in boards are seated correctly. If they're loose you'll hear them click back into place as you apply a little gentle pressure. Replace the power supply cover.

Next, check the board with the LEDs (the protection circuit) is seated properly too.

OK, now reconnect the mains and try powering up.

If anything, Seleco projectors are too well protected. They tend to shut down if a connection is loose. This is good insurance but can cause the odd false alarm.

If no joy, disconnect mains and go through all ribbon connectors and the tube base connectors too. These can sometimes work loose if the projector is sitting at a bass node in your room.

Regards

6. FriarTuck

FriarTuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris Thanks for the advice, I have tried what you suggested but to no avail. I have tried the ribbon connectors and all circuit board seatings...

I have a few clues however. Below is an image which is an attempt of what the PSU looks like from below (ceiling mounted)

When I turn on the power, no fans start and there is only a slight sound of electrical charge/discharge.

LEDs DL201 and DL202 flash briefly and then dim to nothing. There is also a flash/glow from a diode (not LED) which is marked D203 (spherical component about 2mm across) positioned at the front middle (between transformer and 3 large capacitors).

This flashes (is this odd) and then dims out....

Chris if you can help by assisting me to work out if the PSU is dead, then I can mail it back to UK for repair / replacement.

Many thanks in advance

David.

Attached Files:

7. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    David,
    If the problem can't be solved by checking cables & boards then you would need the advice of an engineer.

You could try to contact Alan Roser, Technical Director at Owl, but his time is split between the UK, US and Italy so it may be some time before he can reply. Alternatively, try an email to info@owl-video.co.uk with "FAO Service Engineers" in the subject line. Describe the sysmptoms and what you've done so far to fault find, then ask their advice.

Regards

8. FriarTuck

FriarTuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm. No replies yet from either forum or Owl... No emails back from Seleco either... Am I on a 'shortlist' ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.