Can anyone help me out with a few Toshiba EP-30/35 HD-DVD audio issues?

JonnyTester

I have an EP-30 flashed to EP-35 (I think?) with region-free dvd playback. My Onkyo TX-NR686 doesn't detect any audio at all from a Dolby True-HD soundtrack via HDMI connection. In the Setup menu, the HDMI audio options are Auto/PCM/Downmixed PCM. Digital Direct Audio Mode is turned on.

I've read that even on the EP-35, the player doesn't bitstream True-HD, but downmixes it to standard Dolby Digital which is sent via the HDMI connection. But as I say, my receiver isn't detecting any signal from the player with True-HD soundtracks. I only have the EP-30 manual. I have requested the EP-35 manual from hddvd-revived.com but haven't received it yet.

Where am I going wrong here? Is there any way to tell which firmware version the player is on (ie via the front panel)?

Thanks in advance.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
I have an EP-30 flashed to EP-35 (I think?) with region-free dvd playback. My Onkyo TX-NR686 doesn't detect any audio at all from a Dolby True-HD soundtrack via HDMI connection. In the Setup menu, the HDMI audio options are Auto/PCM/Downmixed PCM. Digital Direct Audio Mode is turned on.

I've read that even on the EP-35, the player doesn't bitstream True-HD, but downmixes it to standard Dolby Digital which is sent via the HDMI connection. But as I say, my receiver isn't detecting any signal from the player with True-HD soundtracks. I only have the EP-30 manual. I have requested the EP-35 manual from hddvd-revived.com but haven't received it yet.

Where am I going wrong here? Is there any way to tell which firmware version the player is on (ie via the front panel)?

Thanks in advance.
What is is set to currently? and have you tried all of the settings?

Only the XA2 and A35 can bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master to your receiver. On other players, if you select "Bitstream", it will only send a core, lower bitrate track.

If you set your A30 to "PCM", the player will decode the full Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master track internally and then send it to your receiver as LPCM. The resulting sound is the same, only your receiver doesn't light up because a different device has already done the decoding.

What is the best HD-DVD Player that'll decode Dolby...

JonnyTester

When I set the hdmi audio to pcm or auto, then turn off Digital Direct, I get all soundtracks output as pcm 5.1. including True-HD. So I should leave it like that and it will send uncompressed pcm to the receiver then?

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
When I set the hdmi audio to pcm or auto, then turn off Digital Direct, I get all soundtracks output as pcm 5.1. including True-HD. So I should leave it like that and it will send uncompressed pcm to the receiver then?
I think that is likely all you can do if it doesn't work the same as EP35 (A35). I had an HD-E1 but it hasn't been connected up for yonks now.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom