Can anyone help me find my perfect TV?

BillyBumbler

Novice Member
Hello everyone.

I have approx £3000 (not fixed but that range) to spend on a 75”-77” TV.

It will be used during the day but only for browsing the web, maybe watching the odd TV show and a fair bit of gaming, it will be positioned with a blinded window to it’s rear that lets in very little daylight, room lights will be on due to the blind but it’s not too bright and I’m not too bothered about loss of visual detail or reflections during the day. I’m only concerned when I want to watch 4K HDR movies or shows in the evening and I can dim the lights then.

I love Sci-Fi and Fantasy, especially shows like the Expanse, Star Trek, Stargate, Farscape, X-Files, Lord of the Rings trilogy, Gotham, Lost, Umbrella Academy, Supernatural e.t.c these are the visuals I want to be blown away by, think space scenes (nebula's, stars, wormholes), alien/fantasy landscapes & cities, also as a lot of this is dark I want to be able to distinguish every detail clearly.

Some of those are SD I know so SD upscaling is very important. I have many boxsets of shows from the 70’s & 80’s on DvD that have never made it to Blu-ray that I need upscaled.

What I’m looking for is the very best visual experience possible, I want the picture to really pop, to wow, almost 3D with stunning bright glowing colours. I want to see every detail on a 4K HDR movie. I might even go as far as to say colour accuracy (within reason) is not overly important to me just a beautiful, breathtaking, spectacular, otherworldly, detailed picture.

Are there any TV’s that fit this description?

Thank you for reading.

tvdavid

LG C1 or Sony a80 sets

BillyBumbler

Novice Member
Thank you both. OLED it is.

One question, are OLEDs bright enough for HDR? Like I said in my last paragraph:

“I want the picture to really pop, to wow, almost 3D with stunning bright glowing colours. I want to see every detail on a 4K HDR movie. I might even go as far as to say colour accuracy (within reason) is not overly important to me just a beautiful, breathtaking, spectacular, otherworldly, detailed picture.“

The reason I ask is I was reading this article: TORn’s 4K UHD Starter Guide! | Lord of the Rings Rings of Power on Amazon Prime News, JRR Tolkien, The Hobbit and more | TheOneRing.net and under the nits section it states:

“For a good HDR/Dolby Vision performance as designed a display must be capable of at least 700 nits of brightness, although ideally it would be about 1000 to fully appreciate the wide range of brightness and because this is where the majority of films are mastered at. “

Also there is this from HDTVTest:

I don’t know how many nits the C1 or A80J has, I’ve tried to search but get different results back, one says the C1 has 409 nits another says 489 nits (both of these seem incredibly low) and another says 750 nits. Does the infinite contrast make up for having lower nit brightness?

After watching a few comparison videos I know I don’t want qled even though they go up to 2000 nits, that just seems too bright but are the C1 and A80J bright enough or should I be looking at the G1 (I need a stand though) or C2 and save up more money?

Thank you.

Dodgexander

A good measure of brightness is the peak 2 and 10% windows in reviews. With OLED you're looking at about 700-750 standard. Only the cheaper models come in with less. The very premium ones with heatsinks can get close to a 1000.

Will a TV like the C1 pop with HDR? Definitely. There's detail to be found close to black, not only in the brighter parts of the image. Highlights can still get a lot brighter than LCD TVs of old.

If you want even more pop, look at models that have heatsinks like the Sony A90J, Panasonic JZ1500 or JZ2000.

BillyBumbler

Novice Member
Those 3 you mentioned as far as I can tell don't come in 75"-77" and I would need to drop down to 65" to be at a similar price of the 77C1.

I think I'm leaning towards the C1 or if I can justify spending more and waiting a bit longer the C2.

Thank you.

BillyBumbler

Novice Member
I just wanted to check something regarding brightness.

My current TV is a 2015 4K UHD LED (No HDR) that is not on Rtings but according to displayspecifications.com it has a cd/m² rating of 500, there is no peak 2% or 10% breakdown though. The LG C1 on displayspecifications.com doesn’t that I can see have a cd/m² rating so I can’t directly compare the two.

I’m led to believe that cd/m² and nits are exactly the same?

You state “With OLED you're looking at about 700-750 standard“ is that 700-750 standard 200 to 250 brighter than my current TV? Or is it not as simple as 750 is more than 500?

If so it will be plenty bright as my current TV gets very bright maxed out.

Am I understanding cd/m² & nits correctly or have I made an error?

Thank you.

BillyBumbler

Novice Member
Re-reading that I'm not sure if my question made sense.

My current TV is 500 cd/m² according to displayspecifications.com

Dodgexander stated that the C1 is "about 700-750 standard" I'm assuming that is nits?

So is the 700-750 nits brighter than the 500 cd/m² of my current TV?

Thank you.

Dodgexander

You can't rely on specs from manufacturers or spec sites, you have to read reviews that measure and see real life results. When you read things like 500 cd/m2 on displayspecs or manufacturer websites it will be a theoretical maximum, not a true max.

But yes, cd/m2 is a measurement usually used for nits.

When reading reviews, look at 2% and 10% window results for an accurate representation of how well the TV can display HDR highlights.

Nits has only become a thing because of HDR, it has some relevance to watching SDR in a bright room but it's almost exclusively important for HDR. The brightness of your old TV has no consequence when considering a new TV, since its a non HDR model.

D

Deleted member 770082

IF a TV picture looks good to you , regardless of make and model . That is your problem sorted . Everybodies vision is different . Over the years I have stuck with a certain Brand as the picture on other manufactures are just not uo to par ( for me anyways) I have sent them back , or not even bothered to purchase ( after I took a blu ray to play on certain Tv's)

BillyBumbler

Novice Member
Ok, so the C1 is not necessarily brighter than my current non HDR LCD TV?

My current 2015 TV was not an especially popular model from all accounts and was only released in the UK as far as I know so finding reviews is hard and I can't find a 2% or 10% rating for it, I assume because it's not HDR.

I have however found the flagship 2015 LCD model - LG UF9500 which is on Rtings, would that be comparable? If the C1 beats that in 2% & 10% is it likely to beat my lower end model?

Thank you.

Dodgexander

Ok, so the C1 is not necessarily brighter than my current non HDR LCD TV?
It doesn't have any consequence because brightness is important only for HDR.
The C1 is bright enough to display HDR properly, really that is all that is important.

Your old 2015 model will not at all be comparable to an OLED.

D

Deleted member 770082

I have the LG 55UF950V although its not HDR . it's still good for SD . Just watch it before I get out of bed . Still a good TV

BillyBumbler

Novice Member
I have the LG 55UF950V although its not HDR . it's still good for SD . Just watch it before I get out of bed . Still a good TV
Mines a few steps below yours, 55UF850V and yes it's been an amazing TV these last 7 years but I want to get a larger screen and HDR. It's the only TV in the house and it's time for an upgrade.

D

Deleted member 770082

Mines a few steps below yours, 55UF850V and yes it's been an amazing TV these last 7 years but I want to get a larger screen and HDR. It's the only TV in the house and it's time for an upgrade.
Mine is in the bedroom . now , along with a 43" philips it has HDR /dolby vision etc .. I just have a B7 55" oled in lounge alongside a 48" C1 which I am using now.

Maybe you could look into a 4k projector instead of a tv ?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom