Can anyone help cos sky are usless?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by hirtag, Apr 8, 2005.

1. hirtag

hirtag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got back from two weeks holiday and was looking forward to watching all the stuff ive recorded over the break (Dr Who!). I noticed that the sky+ said only 2% left so i deleted a few things i didnt want and got it to about 30% left. I started recording but watching (and made it a series link) the amazon abyse program and it froze on me and nothing could get it to move.

I called sky and 36 mins later they answered and said to turn off at the mains bla bla bla and everything would be ok. I told them that I could have don that myself and if i did so then this would cause all my recorded stuff to be deleted. He then asured me that it wouldent so i did what he told me and YES it was all deleted ........I went mad and asked to speek to a supervisor who told me that i probably had a fault with my unit and since i was out of the waranty time it was £65 for someone to come out to look at it?

So can any one tell me ....
    1. Does it soun like a fault?

2. If i fit a new hard drive of a larger size will the estimating of recording space left still tell me an acurate amount.

3. Does anyone else think that sky a a big bunch of *$@@£**er's http://www.avforums.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=48#
    spamand that its unfair that we have to put up with their monopoly.

cheers
    grant kay

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    try a search all the info on upgraded disks is on the forum, and try "house keeping" from engineers menu again try a search

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    1. Yes it sounds like a fault.
    2. A larger drive would give more space. The space will always only be an estimate, because of the way that recordings are stored on the drive.
    3. Sky is only a monopoly because the opposition has fallen by the wayside. There is nothing to stop you or anyone else forming a rival company, so it's not a monopoly.

4. hirtag

hirtag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the information Nick and hornydragon i will replace with a new one soon.
    cheers

5. Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140

I'm a bit confused about this. A friend of mine has a Pace sky + box (lucky :oops: ) and she unplugged it and lost all the recordings. Sky told her this will happen. I on the other hand have an Amstrad box :thumbsdow and have disconected many times and never lost any recordings.

What should happen? Surely the hard drive shouldn't lose recordings. What if you have a powercut.

6. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm confused also. I have disconnected a few times and not lost anything.

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    That's the whole point of storing to a hard disk. You should not lose programmes (in theory). However, a "messy" power cut (one where there might have been a "spike" created during the disconnection) might cause the hard disk to get corrupted, but this is rare.

8. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +876
    I don't know about the fault (not having Sky+) but I do know if you threaten to cancel your subscription, they will send out an engineer at no cost. I know this from personal experience.

Cheers,

Martin.

9. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unplugging from the mains is always the first thing to do with any problem like freezing,skipping or suchlike on Sky+.
    Recordings should only be deleted by performing a Full System Reset from the Installer Menu.Even a Planner Rebuild does not delete recordings

10. tincan

tincan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In response to mjcairney I tried telling sky that I would cancel my subscription the last time I had a fault and they told my to go ahead. Sky plus has just gone up the wall (again) and just had to pay another £65 to get someone around. Expensive habit wathing TV!

11. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +876
    I must have had a more sympathetic person when I did it because I was immediately passed on to another department and had a free engineer visit arranged within about five minutes.

Cheers,

Martin.

12. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    My opinion Of $ky is even less printable than yours; but if you are reffering to a monopoly on PVR's $ky+ does not have a monopoly. Yhere are a number of non-subscription Freview hard disk recorders out there now. Not the same number of channels but with time shifting capability do you need them?

Regards Richard