1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can anyone help an idiot?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mcmullanbrush, May 25, 2002.

1. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the people in the know seem to say the best way to watch dvds through a projector is via a hcpc.
    i have two problems with this and would appreciate any help.

1: i am a complete idiot when it comes to computers. is it feasable to buy something "off the shelf" and just plug and play?

2: would this mean i would have to have a pc in my living room?

hope you can help with these stupid questions, if you feel i am a lost cause and should stick to a stand alone dvd player please say so.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    To be able to get a pc working exactly right may will probably need some intervention and tweaking.

You could always try your local PC shop and ask them to put together a pc for you, along with WinDVD so that you can play DVDs and get DD/DTS surround.

You can get long vga leads to connect the pc to the pj, and a long phono for the sound, so you don't necessarily have to have the pc in the room with you, but it will mean having to go to the other room for any start/stopping etc.

If the pc has WinDVD and plays the DVD full screen and gives DD/DTS sound, that should be all you need to do.

You'll have to make sure the pj projects the image onto the center of the screen (not higher or lower) so that you won't have to fiddle with any position software.

A standalone player is easiest of course, as you just have to worry about which button on the remote to use.

An htpc can be built for around £300 which will give good results, so you could get one built (adding the build cost as well I guess) and play with that, while still having a standalone player as a backup to guarentee you'll be able to watch a film.

I've listed a cheap htpc spec in another thread but can list it again if you wish.

Gary.

3. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gary

thank you

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As a guide, About this time last year i was in the same spot as you. I wanted to build a computer, not for hc admittedly, but it doesnt take that long to get to grips.

As far as building goes......

You get a motherboard, put a processor in it, some ram, a video card and a sound card. You put it all in a box and away you go! Fairly straight forward.

The software is the awkward bit. It still is fairly simple to go from new built machine to windows installed, windows all but does it for you! Beyond that im not the one to say since I have no experience of software dvd players or any of the assorted software, but i have a fair grasp. Im certain that if you are a logical person it wouldnt take long playing with it to sort it out!

All in all i went from total novice to building something in a bout a month.

Ad

5. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You can do it yourself or you can talk to one of the few PC integrators who know about HCPC in the UK.

If you DIY you'll get plenty of help here but it will take time and effort.

6. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks everyone,

i have had a serious think and a hcpc is not really practical at the moment. it would have to be located on a different floor and the opposite side of the house to the projector and amp. my wifes understanding is a touch stretched at the moment and i havent told her i ordered a projector yet.

when i build the extension (sometime in the year 3000) it will be top of my list.

cheers