1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can anyone guess why sony did this?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by watchinthewheel, Jun 8, 2005.

1. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why have sony been acting so strangly? let me give you some examples:

vaio pocket:

colour screen!
    better navigation
    vaio transfer as default
    better file organization (from what i hear)
    40gb version

hd1:

no colour screen
    poor navigation really
    no playlist support

hd3:

bigger than the hd1!
    no colour screen
    poor navigation really
    no playlist support

hd5:

again bigger than the hd1!
    lost all style in a lot of peoples view
    used rubbish plastic for buttons.
    no colour screen

sonic stage:

rubbish in all versions

general:

very little advertising compared to ipod
    lack of mp3 support early on
    no drag and drop (this can be axplained (drm))
    they still haven't replaced ss!

so why have sony done all this it must be harming their sales! the players are getting bigger and uglyer and despite their great sound quality they are getting little publicity, what the hell are sony doing! even we can see the mistakes they are making and we aint businessmen! (mostly) so why wont sony listen to the people and do what they clearly should be doing, making smaller players with better navigation and most importantly making a new program to replace ss! and then advertising big time if they ever want to compete with apple.

2. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In a recent article in Fortune (February 21 issue), Nathan Myhrvold - a former chief of Microsoft Research was quoted: "Once audio and visual experiences become a combined hardware-software-network thing, the consumer electronics guys are fish out of water".

I think this neatly sums up Sony's current problem. Where once they led and indeed created the original personal audio player market, Sony now finds it increasingly hard to understand it let alone keep up with it. The new head of Sony (a Welshman by birth) may be able to turn this around if he's on the ball. Only time will tell.

3. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The only major problem with the Vaio Pocket is that it's not. Apart from that, it's definitely ahead of the HDx series. (although VAIO transfer isn't exactly a gem of software) Interesting that it's from the computer division too, isn't it.

4. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I miss my vaio pocket - the HD5 I got is the biggest POS I have ever owned. Three days of non-stop battles and i have THREE playlists on it... Sony wants me to use Atrac. I want to use Atrac. SonicStage doesn't want to use Atrac. I am ****ed.

5. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats very interesting! so your basicaly saying its connecting to pcs that causes all the problems for sony. That makes sense, i mean there have been few complaints about the actual units of the hd series (apart from the button thing) it olso holds about apple, a pc manufacturer, to be the head of this revolution in personal music. anyone else waiting for microsoft to force their way into this market like they did with consoles? its only a matter of time imho, and as much as i hate to say it, it will probably be very good (looks at xbox and sighs) very very good!

but it still doesnt explain why the bigger units and the removal of the colour screen and the fiddly new menu system, ignorance cant possibly be an excuse for a company of sonys capabilities and one wholm has already produced a player as good as the vaio pocket?

6. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I reckon that's probably the basis of it. When products depend on a mixture of hardware and software, it's down to the clever manufacturers to get the mix right. Companies like Sony, who are only really good at hardware, just take time to adjust so are constantly coming from behind. Imagine an HD5 controlled by iTunes and you have a fantastic product.

I think price and volume have inputs here. Apple created the market for cheap, monochrome, DAPs. It was only later (when iPods were selling in their millions) that they released colour screened iPods - when the numbers involved made manufacture cheap enough. Apple is still driving the entry point prices at the various levels in the market, because they *can* do with the numbers of iPods they are selling. Companies like Creative or Sony are increasingly finding it hard to make a profit from DAPs, while Apple is literally making billions. I'm not saying that's right (healthy competition makes better products after all), but it's where we're at.

7. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I (amongst many others I suspect) would have bought one by now.

8. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    As has been mentioned the Pocket and the HD range are from 2 seperate Sony entities (vaio computing and sony electronics).

I believe originally the pocket was meant to do mp3s but were told to remove it when the HD1 was being released at the same time.

I would love to see the Vaio group produce a successor to the pocket though I am still very happy with mine.. and even though ppl say its bulky it still fits neatly in a shirt pocket :)

Matt

9. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    I actually think Sony are in a great position.

My predicition is that you will have two types of portable music players going forward. One will be an all in one model that is dedicated to playing music and video (for the enthusiasts) and we are starting to see these emerge now.

The other will be more appropriate for the general public IMO and we are just now seeing mobile phones with hard drives.

This was the first one (link below)

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Sept2004/8292.htm

and Samsung have recently released a 3GB model.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,119961,00.asp

Sony are in the perfect position to expolit this new market as they will have had experience with portable music players and they have the Sony Ericsson mobile arm.

Sony have already shown they have great expertise in securing the best battery technology which would be key for such a device.

I think this could be a huge growth area. Pop a pair of headphones into your mobile and listen to music, when a call comes in the player automatically pauses the music and prompts you to answer / reject that call (which you can also record to the HD if you so desire). Call is finished and the music starts up again.

Only one device in your pocket.

It's the way forward I reckon.

So much so I would expect Apple to partner with someone like, say, Motorola to ensure that they do not miss out.

EDIT - Unbelievable, I'm wasted I tell ya.

When I made the statement above about Apple, I honestly did not know they had already entered a partnership with Motorola, it just seemed to me it would make sense (two US brands - an emerging market).

Anyway, seems they think it was a good idea too ....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/17/apple_ipod_phone_motorola/

10. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i really hope the mobile and enthusiast spilt doesnt happen, i can see a mobile producing good enough sond quality, but im not that bothered about a plyer than ca do video really, a colour screen would be nice but mostly for artwork and stuff. I would love to see a new vaio pocket, but one at a decent price about £200 like the hd3/5

do you get the feeling that sony would work far better if all the parts of the company talked to each other a bit more, surely the vaio dept could do something about ss! they make pcs for gods sake they music know something about them!

11. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
  12. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Never heard of the Viao Pocket... any good as an MP3 player?
    Pics, links?

13. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Google it.

14. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Boy! That is one ugly piece of metal-looking plastic. Gone right off Nokia since they started lagging behind Samsung for the quality of their screen resolution and camera options (and yes, I DO use my D500's camera :smashin: )

15. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With Sony, it's fingers in pies. They have theirs in several. Playstation. Vaio. DVD camcorders. Cameras. HiFi. TV. DAP. The list goes on. It all leads to dilution. Creative are similar: lots of product groups, but they've gone the other way and spread themselves too thinly in the DAP market. From the Jukebox 3 to the Zen Sleek, there are dozens of different DAPs. It's a job to know which to choose for the uninitiated - who, let's face, make up the largest portion of both the existing and potential DAP market.

Sony needs to refocus or risk becoming another Creative: excellent, generally reliable DAPS, but always Apple's poor relation. I, like some on here, believe they will refocus, and so reclaim the top spot. Mark my words: five years from now, you'll hear a new generation saying, 'iPod? Is that like a Walkman?' All Sony need to do is listen to their European and American customers. (Sorry, but the rest of the world don't really count; US and Europe make up the lion's share of the DAP-buying market outside gadget-crazy Japan.) We want Sony to produce the elusive 'iPod killer'. Not, oddly, to 'kill' iPod, but so that there is some healthy competition. And where to start? Not, as you'd expect, with the hardware - Sony could make the perfect DAP with every one of its employees' hands tied to their desks. It's the SOFTWARE they've got wrong. Look at Apple: endless trouble trying to perfect the iPod, and the damn thing is still not as great as it could be. But people buy it. And they buy it not just for the cool factor (now deceased, thank God!), or the excellent UI, but for ... yes, iTunes.

Sony: sort out SonicStage and Connect, then get back to what you do best - leading the market. The world is waiting ...

16. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again, thanks in no small part to iTunes - probably far more than to the iPod. Even non-iPod owners use the program and its online music store just to get music to play on their PC or Mac at home.

17. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can't really agree with you there, shadow. It is the iPod itself that is heavily marketed and which has become a pop-culture and tech-gadget icon. The iPod is the gizmo that everyone is talking about and wants to own, not the iTunes software. Here in Australia we don't even have the iTunes Music Store and the iPod is a huge seller.

Andrew

18. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Partly true. To begin with, the iPod was the pull, as I believe I've stated elsewhere. But once iTunes hit home (certainly in Europe and US), this became the big money spinner. Most analysts tend to agree this is true - though I grant you that the iPod itself has benefited from some excellent marketing.

19. haroldpark

haroldpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem with Sony is that Sony is a huge conglomeration with many divergent and often conflicting interests. The company has been as much in cometition with itself as it has in competition with companies like Apple. Thats why they have done/not done things that may seem stupid/obvious to us.
    For an excellent article on this, the problems that have plagued Sony in the past as it chased the iPod and why, just maybe, we might see them overcome in the near future (the recent ability to remove DRM in SS 3.2 is an encouraging sign) see this:
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05180/530332.stm
    A briefer article on Sony problems:
    http://www.boston.com/business/tech...05/30/sony_struggles_to_adapt_in_digital_age/
    For an older but still relevant article:
    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.02/sony_pr.html
    An extremely comprehensive article on the war between Apple and everyone else for survival and dominance in the dap world:
    http://www.edn.com/article/CA605502.html
    Finally summation of an interview with the head of Rio on why they sold their software development team and where the dominance of Apple and fierce competition in the dap market leaves smaller players like Rio:
    http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.1965
    But in terms of the original posters questions about Sony the first article is the most interesting.

20. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Wow, far out. Did you do research on this for a paper or something?? Thanks for the links though! :smashin:

Andrew

P.S. Did you know there's a Harold Park Raceway in Sydney?

21. haroldpark

haroldpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I remembered that article that someone posted a link to somewhere and how well it answered the question and how interesting it was in general and in my googlings happened to come across those others before finding "The One".
    As for the Raceway I am all too aware of its existance. Hello to a fellow Sydneysider. :)

22. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm amazed that you are having this much trouble.

23. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I believed from the people over at www.spymac.com that iTMS actually doesn't make Apple much money. They get most of their revenue from hardware.

I'm still amazed people buy iPods. I've yet to see a feature that would make it a good player for me.

Of course, once you start selling people music online, its hard for them to swap players. I think this is a disgrace to be honest. I want to get my music from MY choice of store, regardless which player I have.

24. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, should've been clearer. It's not a question of whether or not iTunes Music Store is a big revenue earner DIRECTLY, but its popularity/success has fuelled sales of the iPod. Realise I didn't stress this earlier - my apologies :oops: