Can anyone give this JZ2000 issue an explanation?

D

Deleted member 920790

I've had my JZ2000 since July and I can't say I've noticed this problem until a couple of days back, however, now I'm aware of it, it's always noticeable.

If I watch any source at all and it's in Standard Vivid / DV Vivid or any Brighter setting, the image seems to have a judder to it, but if I switch to a darker setting the issue vanishes. I have always tended to use darker settings, but I did a factory reset due to an issue with Xbox Series X I was trying to resolve, so it's possible that's why i've only noticed this now, but as it's quite obvious i'm surprised i've not noticed it on some Dolby Vision content i have watched in DV Vivid.

Hopefully someone can tell me what it is, why it happens and if it's fixable, or if there's something wrong with the TV.

I've attached a video showing the issue, I can't figure out, i've tried various setting on PS5, XBX and ATV 4K and the only thing which stops it is a darker setting such as DV Dark or Filmmaker etc anything Vivid and it happens, not constant, but quite often.

here's a loop of the problem.

The other issue I have is with XBX Series X and Atmos clicking on and off in films and games but only some, but I can resolve that by switching one of the eARC ports HDMI Mode 2 which disables VRR 120hz and only allows 60hz so I'm guessing that's being worked on as I have read about an update at

Thanks..

I've resolved it, it turns out that when I'd set the TV up first time I must have disabled intelligent frame creation, i tried disabling it in all the settings which had issues and they stopped straight away, turned it on and they returned. So it's a pretty bad feature if it makes the image worse, i'm going to assume its got a purpose, but i don't know what it is....

That's not judder - that looks more like artefacts caused by excessive picture processing to me.

The brighter picture modes like Vivid tend to have a lot of picture processing options turned on and often to the max - the darker, but more natural pictures modes like Pro or Cinema tend to have many of those options turned off, which could explain the differences you're seeing.

I've resolved it, it turns out that when I'd set the TV up first time I must have disabled intelligent frame creation, i tried disabling it in all the settings which had issues and they stopped straight away, turned it on and they returned. So it's a pretty bad feature if it makes the image worse, i'm going to assume its got a purpose, but i don't know what it is....
IFC is a feature that is designed to help with judder (see Panasonic's brief explanation here) but, like all picture processing options, it can cause issues in certain circumstances. The most common issue with having IFC set too high is the unnatural look it gives to motion, which is often called the Soap Opera Effect (SOE).

I've experimented with IFC settings to reduce the effect of judder in the past, but have never seen the problem you showed in your video on my GZ OLED (whether IFC was off or set to Max), so it's strange that turning it off solved your problem - it might be an issue specific to the JZ or the source you're using, I guess.

Having IFC turned off is the ideal setting, so it's great if that solves the problem and you don't notice issues with (actual) judder. For many though (including myself), the judder present in some content causes issues, so having IFC set to a Low or low Custom setting is used as a compromise.

I have the exact same issue on my Jz1500 since 2 days ago. No problems with IFC in the month before that. So this looks to either be a bug introduced with the recent firmware update (however this update was done more then a week ago now) or a chip logic that has broken, I hope it the first.

In any case I have used IFC on setting 6 for the past month without any visible artifacts, but since 2 days ago all videos (be it 4K,HD,streaming or just TV) has ridiculous artifacts om moving objects. Deactivating all processing settins makes no difference, the only solution is to fully deactivate the IFC.

I hope Panasonic will fix this new bug because it makes IFC completely unusable currently.

I have the feeling that, seeing other people are facing the same issue since the past days,this will become a known widespread JZ bug soon.

Update: Doing a factory reset has removed the artifact bug. IFC now has again the usual SOE. And in someone wonders, I did check all possible display settings before and after the reset, these are aligned, it's not a setting issue. I'm already happy that a factory reset can solve it, let's see if it pops back up in the coming weeks

Update 2: issue is back, it took just 2 days but it's back. I'll wait a firmware update for this one and deactivate IFC until then. This is not worth the hassle to factory reset each 2 days and redo all settings. Shame since this is top tier device & price, but IFC is not a must have I guess

Last edited:
I have the exact same issue on my Jz1500 since 2 days ago. No problems with IFC in the month before that. So this looks to either be a bug introduced with the recent firmware update (however this update was done more then a week ago now) or a chip logic that has broken, I hope it the first.

In any case I have used IFC on setting 6 for the past month without any visible artifacts, but since 2 days ago all videos (be it 4K,HD,streaming or just TV) has ridiculous artifacts om moving objects. Deactivating all processing settins makes no difference, the only solution is to fully deactivate the IFC.

I hope Panasonic will fix this new bug because it makes IFC completely unusable currently.

I have the feeling that, seeing other people are facing the same issue since the past days,this will become a known widespread JZ bug soon.

Update: Doing a factory reset has removed the artifact bug. IFC now has again the usual SOE. And in someone wonders, I did check all possible display settings before and after the reset, these are aligned, it's not a setting issue. I'm already happy that a factory reset can solve it, let's see if it pops back up in the coming weeks

Update 2: issue is back, it took just 2 days but it's back. I'll wait a firmware update for this one and deactivate IFC until then. This is not worth the hassle to factory reset each 2 days and redo all settings. Shame since this is top tier device & price, but IFC is not a must have I guess
Same issue here. It appears after a factory reset for me.
Any news about that ?

I'd report it if you haven't, just so they are also aware.

Same issue here. It appears after a factory reset for me.
Any news about that ?
By now I've concluded that the issue is triggered by using the AI picture mode. It started the first time when I used this mode and after my posts here I have stayed away from using this picture mode at all, result: the issue has not reappeared. And I am using motion smoothing.

Note that when the artifact issue starts by using AI mode for a short time, then its globally reflected on all pictures modes. So it seems that the motion smoothing controls are not fully isolated per picture mode like other settings are (like brightness and such), you can notice this by the fact that when you change the motion smoothing setting then it will change it for all pictures modes globally.

So my advise: avoid the AI mode like the plague (edit: like covid) and you should be OK, the other modes (normal, professional I use) should offer all means to get the picture you prefer.

By now I've concluded that the issue is triggered by using the AI picture mode. It started the first time when I used this mode and after my posts here I have stayed away from using this picture mode at all, result: the issue has not reappeared. And I am using motion smoothing.

Note that when the artifact issue starts by using AI mode for a short time, then its globally reflected on all pictures modes. So it seems that the motion smoothing controls are not fully isolated per picture mode like other settings are (like brightness and such), you can notice this by the fact that when you change the motion smoothing setting then it will change it for all pictures modes globally.

So my advise: avoid the AI mode like the plague (edit: like covid) and you should be OK, the other modes (normal, professional I use) should offer all means to get the picture you prefer.
Hum, interesting. But i never use AI mode. it starts when i activate IFC, even in minimum mode. I can only use Dolby vision dark mode because it's the only one with no IFC at all. Or maybe i missed something. However, iI rarely used IFC, only when Dolby vision is triggered by dolby vision content. So it's not a big issue for me.

Hopefully someone can tell me what it is, why it happens and if it's fixable, or if there's something wrong with the TV.

I've attached a video showing the issue, I can't figure out, i've tried various setting on PS5, XBX and ATV 4K and the only thing which stops it is a darker setting such as DV Dark or Filmmaker etc anything Vivid and it happens, not constant, but quite often.

This is the punishment for using a JZ2000 in Vivid Mode. :rolleyes:

FYK, i contacted my seller who decided to call Panasonic for that matter. They will come to my house to solve this issue i assume. Or at least, i will have info related to that from Panasonic. I will keep you posted.

A little update.
Two days ago, the board of my JZ1500 have been change by a new one (ver. 3.070) because of this glitch issue with IFC.
It seems to work. So I updated to the newest version (ver. 3.124) and the problem
is back again, two days later. I play a lot on this TV because i own a RTX 3090 on there is no way i can't benefit from native 4K / 120 fps with VRR, etc ...
Does anyone know if Panasonic have a plan for a new update ?

I’m having the same problem as in the video since a few days, but less severe. I’m also seeing it only when ifc is activated and it seems to be a lot more pronounced in 1080p content vs 4k. It seems to be even more prevalent on 50hz content, but than ifc is not needed. It sometimes glitches through subs when there’s movement behind them.

I have the jzt1506 which is the Dutch version of the jz1500. I have it since the beginning of December but have never seen the problem before a few days ago.

Hope it’s a software problem which they correct soon as it seems to be on Panasonics radar now.

Panasonic seems to be doing poorly when it comes to patching out some software issues (they never fixed TV-led Dolby Vision on HZ series) so I would recommend everyone affected report that to the customer service and make sure thay pass it further.
Issues on LG and Sony sets get fixed because users generate a lot of buzz on the internet (and even then it sometimes takes a lot of time until manufacturers finally acknowledge them) but issues on Panasonic TVs get little to no attention.

Last edited:
What issue with TV-Led DV?

Vincent and flatpanelshd mention it in their reviews of HZ2000 and Vincent confirmed it's fixed on JZ2000.

Had HZ980 and HZ1000 and they both would stutter in the same exact moments in some Dolby Vision materials until I switched to player-led. Same cable (tried more than one anyway) and player gave zero issues on other TVs.

Last edited:
I'm struggling with this artifact issue too (55" JZ1500B). The quickest and easiest way to remove it is to reboot the TV using the power button on the rear, but the problem then resurfaces after a few days, presumably after something has triggered it again.

I didn't have this problem until quite recently, which might coincide with consuming more Dolby Vision content (I just subscribed to Apple TV+ and watch via a Fire TV stick cos the built-in app doesn't want to deliver Dolby Vision). As far as I can tell, once the artifacts start, they start appearing on all sources, so it feels very much like a bug in image processing somewhere.

I've just looked and have been using Dolby Vision IQ, but will try switching to Dolby Vision Dark and manually set my IFC settings to see if this stops the problem from surfacing.

In general, I only ever use Filmmaker mode and the following IFC settings:

* Custom
* Blur Reduction = 1
* Film Smooth = 2
* BFI = Off

Wondering if Dolby Vision IQ is using more aggressive built-in settings than the above. Like I say, I'll switch to Dark and enable the above settings for IFC, as I've been operating with those settings without issue pretty much since I got the TV at the beginning of December. Fingers crossed.

I love the panel overall, but both this and the occasional "clipped sound" issue are both starting to drive me a bit nuts.

TL;DR: my suspicion is that something Dolby Vision related is triggering a bug within image processing.

Hi,

any news about this issue ?
I've a JZ1500 with same issue with IFC. I requested assistance for my TV and the service replaced the motherboard but the problem returned after one week...
M

It’s caused by ‘film smooth’ in IFC settings, especially bad on low bitrate content / streaming 1080p.
Can get away with a bit of IFC/Film smooth on UHD discs/Apple TV 4k but anything else and it’s hideous. This didn’t happen on my previous GZ.

Probably go Sony next time as this and the random sound clipping on internal apps is rather annoying.

Still seems to be triggered by Dolby Vision for me -- I haven't entirely zeroed in on how it's being triggered yet (Dark Mode vs IQ hasn't appeared to eliminate it), and once it starts the only way to clear it (albeit temporarily) appears to be to reboot the set using the physical power button.

If I don't watch Dolby Vision content the problem doesn't seem to surface (still using the settings I gave above on applicable non-DV sources & content).

A little bemused this hasn't been patched in a firmware update yet, but I'm not sure at what frequency Panasonic issue them.

Probably go Sony next time as this and the random sound clipping on internal apps is rather annoying.
Very much feeling this. Love the panel overall, but these software issues ruin the experience. It's a huge shame and I hope Panasonic are listening and actively working on a fix because it's going to affect their reputation and, ultimately, their bottom line as people switch to Sony.

Indeed still the same issues here as well, after many theories on earlier posts there is no solution.

I believe the latest theory above that it's triggered by watching Dolby vision, the only way temporarily get rid of it is to reset the device.

In my professional opinion this must be a software (read: firmware) issue on all JZ devices which causes a leak of some kind of stored memory into the IF logic, we are actually lucky that a hard reset helps.

Why Panasonic has not solved this yet is beyond me, this is their most recent line and their flagship, it really reflects badly on them as a company to keep this product broken. It goes to show how deteriorated our 'modern' software world has become, quantity over quality these days,everything is a throw away product, even 2000+ dollar products...

I've had my JZ2000 since July and I can't say I've noticed this problem until a couple of days back, however, now I'm aware of it, it's always noticeable.

If I watch any source at all and it's in Standard Vivid / DV Vivid or any Brighter setting, the image seems to have a judder to it, but if I switch to a darker setting the issue vanishes. I have always tended to use darker settings, but I did a factory reset due to an issue with Xbox Series X I was trying to resolve, so it's possible that's why i've only noticed this now, but as it's quite obvious i'm surprised i've not noticed it on some Dolby Vision content i have watched in DV Vivid.

here's a loop of the problem.

The other issue I have is with XBX Series X and Atmos clicking on and off in films and games but only some, but I can resolve that by switching one of the eARC ports HDMI Mode 2 which disables VRR 120hz and only allows 60hz so I'm guessing that's being worked on as I have read about an update at

Thanks..

Thanks for the video, this is indeed exactly the bug that we all have here as well

Try turning off Film smooth completely when the weird blocky problem around moving stuff starts to appear. Seems to solve it.
Not something I like to do as OLED motion without any help kills me

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom