Can anyone give this JZ2000 issue an explanation?

rdb

Novice Member
I've had my JZ2000 since July and I can't say I've noticed this problem until a couple of days back, however, now I'm aware of it, it's always noticeable.

If I watch any source at all and it's in Standard Vivid / DV Vivid or any Brighter setting, the image seems to have a judder to it, but if I switch to a darker setting the issue vanishes. I have always tended to use darker settings, but I did a factory reset due to an issue with Xbox Series X I was trying to resolve, so it's possible that's why i've only noticed this now, but as it's quite obvious i'm surprised i've not noticed it on some Dolby Vision content i have watched in DV Vivid.

Hopefully someone can tell me what it is, why it happens and if it's fixable, or if there's something wrong with the TV.

I've attached a video showing the issue, I can't figure out, i've tried various setting on PS5, XBX and ATV 4K and the only thing which stops it is a darker setting such as DV Dark or Filmmaker etc anything Vivid and it happens, not constant, but quite often.

here's a loop of the problem.

The other issue I have is with XBX Series X and Atmos clicking on and off in films and games but only some, but I can resolve that by switching one of the eARC ports HDMI Mode 2 which disables VRR 120hz and only allows 60hz so I'm guessing that's being worked on as I have read about an update at

Thanks..

rdb

Novice Member
I've resolved it, it turns out that when I'd set the TV up first time I must have disabled intelligent frame creation, i tried disabling it in all the settings which had issues and they stopped straight away, turned it on and they returned. So it's a pretty bad feature if it makes the image worse, i'm going to assume its got a purpose, but i don't know what it is....

mikej

That's not judder - that looks more like artefacts caused by excessive picture processing to me.

The brighter picture modes like Vivid tend to have a lot of picture processing options turned on and often to the max - the darker, but more natural pictures modes like Pro or Cinema tend to have many of those options turned off, which could explain the differences you're seeing.

mikej

I've resolved it, it turns out that when I'd set the TV up first time I must have disabled intelligent frame creation, i tried disabling it in all the settings which had issues and they stopped straight away, turned it on and they returned. So it's a pretty bad feature if it makes the image worse, i'm going to assume its got a purpose, but i don't know what it is....
IFC is a feature that is designed to help with judder (see Panasonic's brief explanation here) but, like all picture processing options, it can cause issues in certain circumstances. The most common issue with having IFC set too high is the unnatural look it gives to motion, which is often called the Soap Opera Effect (SOE).

I've experimented with IFC settings to reduce the effect of judder in the past, but have never seen the problem you showed in your video on my GZ OLED (whether IFC was off or set to Max), so it's strange that turning it off solved your problem - it might be an issue specific to the JZ or the source you're using, I guess.

Having IFC turned off is the ideal setting, so it's great if that solves the problem and you don't notice issues with (actual) judder. For many though (including myself), the judder present in some content causes issues, so having IFC set to a Low or low Custom setting is used as a compromise.

jangbe

Standard Member
I have the exact same issue on my Jz1500 since 2 days ago. No problems with IFC in the month before that. So this looks to either be a bug introduced with the recent firmware update (however this update was done more then a week ago now) or a chip logic that has broken, I hope it the first.

In any case I have used IFC on setting 6 for the past month without any visible artifacts, but since 2 days ago all videos (be it 4K,HD,streaming or just TV) has ridiculous artifacts om moving objects. Deactivating all processing settins makes no difference, the only solution is to fully deactivate the IFC.

I hope Panasonic will fix this new bug because it makes IFC completely unusable currently.

I have the feeling that, seeing other people are facing the same issue since the past days,this will become a known widespread JZ bug soon.

Update: Doing a factory reset has removed the artifact bug. IFC now has again the usual SOE. And in someone wonders, I did check all possible display settings before and after the reset, these are aligned, it's not a setting issue. I'm already happy that a factory reset can solve it, let's see if it pops back up in the coming weeks

Update 2: issue is back, it took just 2 days but it's back. I'll wait a firmware update for this one and deactivate IFC until then. This is not worth the hassle to factory reset each 2 days and redo all settings. Shame since this is top tier device & price, but IFC is not a must have I guess

Last edited:

wheelbeer

Novice Member
I have the exact same issue on my Jz1500 since 2 days ago. No problems with IFC in the month before that. So this looks to either be a bug introduced with the recent firmware update (however this update was done more then a week ago now) or a chip logic that has broken, I hope it the first.

In any case I have used IFC on setting 6 for the past month without any visible artifacts, but since 2 days ago all videos (be it 4K,HD,streaming or just TV) has ridiculous artifacts om moving objects. Deactivating all processing settins makes no difference, the only solution is to fully deactivate the IFC.

I hope Panasonic will fix this new bug because it makes IFC completely unusable currently.

I have the feeling that, seeing other people are facing the same issue since the past days,this will become a known widespread JZ bug soon.

Update: Doing a factory reset has removed the artifact bug. IFC now has again the usual SOE. And in someone wonders, I did check all possible display settings before and after the reset, these are aligned, it's not a setting issue. I'm already happy that a factory reset can solve it, let's see if it pops back up in the coming weeks

Update 2: issue is back, it took just 2 days but it's back. I'll wait a firmware update for this one and deactivate IFC until then. This is not worth the hassle to factory reset each 2 days and redo all settings. Shame since this is top tier device & price, but IFC is not a must have I guess
Same issue here. It appears after a factory reset for me.
Any news about that ?

Snowfire

I'd report it if you haven't, just so they are also aware.

jangbe

Standard Member
Same issue here. It appears after a factory reset for me.
Any news about that ?
By now I've concluded that the issue is triggered by using the AI picture mode. It started the first time when I used this mode and after my posts here I have stayed away from using this picture mode at all, result: the issue has not reappeared. And I am using motion smoothing.

Note that when the artifact issue starts by using AI mode for a short time, then its globally reflected on all pictures modes. So it seems that the motion smoothing controls are not fully isolated per picture mode like other settings are (like brightness and such), you can notice this by the fact that when you change the motion smoothing setting then it will change it for all pictures modes globally.

So my advise: avoid the AI mode like the plague (edit: like covid) and you should be OK, the other modes (normal, professional I use) should offer all means to get the picture you prefer.

wheelbeer

Novice Member
By now I've concluded that the issue is triggered by using the AI picture mode. It started the first time when I used this mode and after my posts here I have stayed away from using this picture mode at all, result: the issue has not reappeared. And I am using motion smoothing.

Note that when the artifact issue starts by using AI mode for a short time, then its globally reflected on all pictures modes. So it seems that the motion smoothing controls are not fully isolated per picture mode like other settings are (like brightness and such), you can notice this by the fact that when you change the motion smoothing setting then it will change it for all pictures modes globally.

So my advise: avoid the AI mode like the plague (edit: like covid) and you should be OK, the other modes (normal, professional I use) should offer all means to get the picture you prefer.
Hum, interesting. But i never use AI mode. it starts when i activate IFC, even in minimum mode. I can only use Dolby vision dark mode because it's the only one with no IFC at all. Or maybe i missed something. However, iI rarely used IFC, only when Dolby vision is triggered by dolby vision content. So it's not a big issue for me.

thx75

Hopefully someone can tell me what it is, why it happens and if it's fixable, or if there's something wrong with the TV.

I've attached a video showing the issue, I can't figure out, i've tried various setting on PS5, XBX and ATV 4K and the only thing which stops it is a darker setting such as DV Dark or Filmmaker etc anything Vivid and it happens, not constant, but quite often.

This is the punishment for using a JZ2000 in Vivid Mode. :rolleyes:

wheelbeer

Novice Member

FYK, i contacted my seller who decided to call Panasonic for that matter. They will come to my house to solve this issue i assume. Or at least, i will have info related to that from Panasonic. I will keep you posted.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom