Can anyone give a me a brief description of what DIVX is all about?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AVmaster, Dec 21, 2004.

1. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As title: Can anyone give a me a brief description of what DIVX is all about and why I would want a player that supports it.

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    From www.divxnetworks.com

DivX® is a high-quality video compression format for creating, editing, and distributing multimedia content. More than just a video technology, DivX is a global phenomenon that has become the new standard for digital video. Dubbed the “MP3 of video” for its remarkable compression and widespread popularity, DivX video enables anyone, anywhere to create and enjoy DVD-quality digital video.

Industry-leading Video Compression

The DivX® and DivX Pro™ video codecs employ the most advanced video compression technology available, creating high-quality video files up to one tenth the size of MPEG-2/DVD - small enough to be delivered over the Internet or burned to single CDs. No other video compression technology can match the performance and quality of DivX video.

The World’s Most Popular Video Technology

DivX® is the world’s most popular video technology, with more than 1 billion existing DivX files on PCs and networks and well over 120 million users worldwide. Don't be misled by competing technologies that equate "widely installed" with "popular." No other video technology enjoys the widespread positive support of DivX video.

Whether you want a player that suports it depends on whether you want to play back DivX encoded discs. If you donwload video content from the Net, chances are some or much of it will be DivX files so you may therefore have a desire to play back these files on a std DVD player.

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Also the mediatek 1389 chipset that is very popular in divx dvd players is a generation up from dvd players using earlier mediatek chipsets. This gives improvements all round especially in video quality. It now has 12bit Colour sampling/interpolation instead of 10bit. The current best buy Pioneer and Toshiba models are based on this chipset.

4. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's exactly what I wanted to know, cheers.

Do you also know what the file structure is like on a DIVX CD. Is it like an MP3 CD where you copy the MP3 files to the root directory, or sub folders where albums are concerned.

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    DIVX are compressed AVI video files. The mp3 audio is multiplexed (merged) inside the AVI file. The AVI file in stored the root directory.

6. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    FYI the AVI don't have to be in the root directory, they can be in sub directories. You could fit several movies onto a DVD-R in different dir's for example.

The Philips 720SA is as good as the Pioneer (uses the same chip) and the Toshiba a clone of the Philips as you can load the Philips firmware on the Toshiba to update it.

7. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Interesting point. Does this mean that most/all DIVX compatible players will play both DIVX CD's 'AND' DIVX DVD's?

8. phillips321

phillips321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a cyrstal slimline divx player and its absolutely bloody fantastic. :clap:

only cost £42 pound +p&p

It plays all sorts of video formats from avi to mpeg. It also plays 3gp(made on mobile phones). It plays mp3 files aswell. I have only had it for about a week (early xmas prezzie) and have not found any problems with it what so ever, it also plays back dvds at mint quality(its my only dvd player and i think its great).

To get one yourself goto aria.co.uk and look up the products then dvd players. Its here (third in the list)

Mine was delivered next day and came superby packed. A big thumbs up to aria :smashin:

P.s. It doesnt matter if the movie file is burnt to cd, cdrw, dvd-r, dvd+r or any other cd/dvd format that you can think of. look at the customer comments on it (its also very easy to enble multiregion)

9. john59

john59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20