1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone forsee problems with.....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by LFCRules, Jun 17, 2005.

1. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi,

Can anyone see any problems with this plan of action? :lease: :

Purchase Panny PWD7 with Component Board
    this will link to:
    DVD player (progressive output) via component to AVR300 Amp
    Cable TV via JSTech RGB->YUV convertor via component to Amp
    XBOX (soft-modded to output progressive) via component to Amp
    Amp output via component to JSTech component video buffer to split output, one to projector and one to PWD7

I already have Mark Grant component cables, and will just need a short 2m section to complete the links.

I realise that the PWD7 is not HD ready. But then again, neither is my 5700 projector. I cannot personally see the HD issue becoming an issue for a good couple of years, so moving to HD now just seems a large expense that will not be used. And the PWD7 and 5700 will both accept a HD signal, so they will still be of use in 5 years anyway (unless someone else tells me otherwise)

Cheers

Andy

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    as far as i know the pwd7 will not accept 720p/1080i at 50hz, only 60hz, so you may need a scalar and this may cause problems. still, that wouldnt put me off.

3. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Good point Chedmaster, I will bear this in mind as and when HD output's will be hitting the screen.

Cheers

Andy

4. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You wil be fine with a scaler of the quality of a Lumagen HDP mate..FRC can be an issue but for DVD on the whole its fine.

5. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Cheers Dilsher, but what is FRC? Is it Frame Rate Control??

6. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    s'ok, got the answer, to do with 50Hz and 60Hz as mentioned earlier. Cheers

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +886
    FRC = Frame Rate Conversion. It causes a small but detectable reduction in image quality most of the time.

Other issues:

• The PWD7 doesn't have the resolution to display even a standard-definition signal without downscaling it.
    • HD will "hit the screen" in approximately 6 months. (Actually it's already here in a limited form - D-Theatre, and WMV stuff).
    • Any player capable of playing a next-generation disc (e.g. BluRay or HD-DVD) will likely have only an encrypted digital output - you will not be able to view even a downscaled version of it via component. It may only be the first batch of Sky HD boxes that will have component outputs, too.

8. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Thanks NicolasB, thanks for the info. All valid points you raise, and I would answer them:

- Appreciate the resolution of PWD7, it is a factor in deciding to go with it. I am still trying to track down a good demo to see it myself. If it is a problem, I'll be changing tack on the getting something with more resolution, at a later date, as the funds are limited at the moment.
    - HD may hit the screen, but terrestrial/cable/sky won't have have a lot of it for a couple of years I reckon, so I won't be playing it for a while yet.
    - I have over 250 SD DVD's, so I'll still be using them for sometime to come, and won't be joining the HD-DVD/Blueray bandwagon until the prices drop, and there is only one version (which may be never ;) ). And as for Sky, I am not tempted at the extra cost of HD that they will be offering.

thanks for the advice, please keep it coming

Cheers

Andy

9. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    With all the PV500 threads, other ones like mine get shoved down the queue fast!! ;)

Just a quick bump to see if anyone else has any views :)

10. LCDC

LCDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd pretty much decided on a PV500 after seeing and hearing the panny HD demo in Blackburn and being blown away by both picture and sound. I wasn't very keen on the bulky casing of the PV500 though, much preferring the sleek look of the new Hitachi 42PD7200. But then we get back to the better black levels and grey detail on the panny, although the Hitachi looked superb in isolation in another shop :confused:.

Further to this I went into another panny dealer yesterday, and saw a TH-42PV500 and an SD 42" Vierra side by side running from the same feed. I spent a long while (the shop was empty) checking out Freeview, a panny SD demo DVD, ordinary film DVDs, and a professional jpeg presentation. I was amazed that at my normal viewing distance of about 3 metres, the detail levels of the pictures on the two sets were completely indistinguishable, and I'm VERY picky about picture quality. I also couldn't get over how much larger the 42" PV500 was than the older Vierra. In fact at first I thought the older model was a 37" one, due to the PV500 being so much larger :eek:.

The long and the short of it is I've just noticed the bargain prices to be had for PWD7s, I hadn't even considered these before. I like the form factor of the PWD7 a lot, due to the minimalistic stying (I liked the previous SD Hitachi plasmas for this very reason), and I hate over-bulky screen surrounds, hence my reticence to get a PV500 (I'm getting enough complaints from her indoors as it is about the size of plasmas!). I can't wait until October (or later) for the new HD ready Panasonic panels, as my trusty Sony Trintron is giving up the ghost rapidly :(.

Is a PWD7 as good as an SD Vierra? Seeing as the bulk of my viewing will be Freeview, Region 1 and 2 DVDs, and countless hundreds of VHS tapes, would a PWD7 fit the bill for a few years until HD terrestial comes along? I have absolutely no intention of subscribing to Sky, either the current offering or the HD premium channels coming next year.

TIA.

11. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    If I was in your position with regard to source material, I would go for the PWD7. Much sleeker, cheaper and [IMO] a better picture with SD material. No contest really.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The PWD7 is every bit as good as a Viera especially when connected how you propose. They are a terrific bargain just now, can't for the life of me see why there are any bargain cheapies left in the market, it's such good value. Why pay £1000 for a dodgy re-badged pile of poop when the best SD plasma is only £300 more?

13. iandmcneill

iandmcneill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi LFC,

I have just purchased the following for a similar setup as you propose:

Panasonic TH-42PWD7BS
    TY-42TM6Y Dual Slot Board
    Denon AVR-1905
    Denon 1710
    JS Tech Master Scart Controller
    JS Tech RGB to YUV Converter

I just want 1 cable (excluding power) running to the PWD7

My XBOX and SKY to JS Master Scart

JS Master Scart goes to JS Scart to YUV which goes to Denon AVR-1905.
    DVD player also will go to 1905 using component. Then the 1905 to the PWD7

I'm hoping this will give me a nice new setup for a few years until HD is as mainstream as SD.

Including a new set of CD1 speakers, all the above came in at spot on 2k so for me that is better value than 2k for an HD machine at the moment.

Cheers,
    Ian

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    WRONG WORNG WORNG
    Please keep this sort of misonformation off the forum!
    Via analogue video Y Pb Pr and RGBHV PWD7 will accept every HDTV resolution and many many more at 50 60 75 Hz IT is only via DVi-D and HDMI that there is a problem with 720p and 1080i at 50HZ

15. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    No worries Ched but always best to make these things nice and clear you wont make the same mistake again tho.................
    (I'm just grumpy as i have a hangover)

17. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i wont make the same mistake again!

18. LCDC

LCDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mmm, that's what I thought until I started reading on here in a bit more detail about the PWD7, and it seems you need to add so many extra boards and expensive conversion boxes, etc to it to get it to work, that it rapidly begins to approach the cost of a Viera, and the more I read, the more I'm totally confused about what you actually need to get it to work as a TV :confused:.

I'd initially be hooking the PWD7 to a Sony AV amp, Pioneer DVD player (until I get a DVD recorder) and Freeview box that only has a Scart output. For the life of me I can't figure out what I'd need :rolleyes:.

Are there any idiot guides on here as to how to set up a PWD7 without having a degree in AV equipment connectivity? I've come across a lot of PWD7 threads, but they all seem to assume a high level of knowledge already. Many explain what you need, but not why :confused:.

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    see the plasma FAQ, What to buy for £2k its long but explains it all, if you have component on DVD player (pio 575 etc do) then you need a component input, for FV you can use the panasonic scart board (the problem is there about 25 different ways you could connect it up we normally suggest the best quality method, but for a simple solution a PWD7 with a single scart board is the minimum you need

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The £2k in Horny's post refers to a complete budget home cinema, 5.1 surround, amp, panel and all to connect it. The panel and a scart board, which will work, give you what 99% of folks would say it a good picture, is way less. You could start there and work your way through things. At it's most basic, you could buy the panel, a scart board, and a pair of budget hi fi speakers. That will be under £1500 I should think.

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    £1300 will get you a Panel mount input board and pair of useable speakers (panel has built in small stereo AMP)

22. LCDC

LCDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all :).

So I presume that all I'd need for a basic setup, given that I've already got a DVD with component and optical out, Panny VHS, and a Sony AV amp with 5.1 and DTS, is:

1. TH-42PWD7BK with free stand.
    2. Component/SVHS/Composite board (that uses 2 slots).
    3. Scart terminal board (for Freeview input).

plus associated cables.

It's just that I keep reading posts that say forget the scart board (as it gives a rubbish picture) and use the JS RGB to YUV converter box instead. This would add another £150 to the budget, but offsetting this cost I presume then that I would no longer require the scart board, as the converter box now becomes the scart input.

How many scarts does the JS RGB to YUV converter box accept?

So presumably this second (and better) option would be:

1. TH-42PWD7BK with free stand.
    2. Component/SVHS/Composite board (that uses 2 slots).
    3. JS RGB to YUV converter box.

and all associated cabling.

I hope I've got this right now :rolleyes:.

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    JS box accepts one scart, if your sony AMP has component switching then it is ideal otherwise go for the JS RGB>VGA converter £120 DVD>component, VHS>composite and FV to JS
    IF amp has component switching
    FV>JS RGB-YUV>AMP (can get a couple of FV boxes that output component netgem I player and Topfield PVR)
    DVD>AMP
    AMP>Panel
    VCR>panel (composite)

24. LCDC

LCDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony amp doesn't have component switching, so as far as I see it:

DVD>Component.
    VHS>Composite.
    FV>JS RGB to VGA converter.

I take it that the VGA socket is also the PC input, if so I'll presumably need another board with a second PC connector to hook-up my laptop for games, etc (which I failed to mention as a requirement previously :rolleyes: ).

It's all slowly beginning to make sense now, so hopefully I can place an order soon :), with a 2 year extension to the warranty, which seems to be recommended on here.

25. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    yep the panny can have a DVi board or a VGA depending on GFX output of lappy VGA are one of the cheaper boards £65 is when bought with a screen from AV-sales DVi is £120

26. LCDC

LCDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Dell P4 laptop is 2 years old so I presume it'll only have VGA output, but I'll have to check on that one.

I could always ditch the JS converter and extra PC input board, and just get a scart board for FV, using the existing VGA socket on the panel for my laptop, but would that be compromising the quality of my FV pictures too much?

27. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The scart board is a bit 'soft' compared to RGB to VGA, that's all. In compensation you get auto widescreen switching and easy plug and play connection, though this is not too much of a prob for freeview, as all I've come across are set to rgb by default. No RGB = no picture with JS box, a chicken and egg story....

28. LCDC

LCDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I'm getting confused again, by "all I've come across are set to rgb by default", do you mean the output from the Freeview boxes, or the scart leads themselves?

Thanks for clearing up the difference between scart and vga output :). I can hopefully make a more informed decision now, although it would be handy to have the scart for auto widescreen switching as this is going on all the time on Freeview.

"Soft" output via scart sounds a similar situation to the soft output from my Canon S60 digital camera, ie everything has to be Photoshopped to produce an acceptable image, as the output from the camera is far too soft for the sort of photos I normally take.

29. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    RGB out from freeview box is what I mean, yes. And soft picture for video is not such a prob as with a still picture inteded to be admired from close up. Side by side, the scart/js comparison is easy to spot, not so easy if it's not a direct comparison. The posts you have seen saying 'scart is rubbish' are put up by folks who have just not seen them in use. One guy who'd picked up HD's (and my) PREFERENCE for the JS route and repeatedly posted this now has a PW7 with a scart board, and finds his own posts to be greatly exadgerrated. JS is better, scart is not rubbish, basically. And the JS route required a complicated and expensive add on to get w/s switching, and separate audio wiring if you are using the screen amp for sound. I use them a lot, but 99% of my installs have separate audio and a universal remote.

30. LCDC

LCDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for your prompt and very enlightening response to my queries :smashin:.

I think I'll go with the scart board for now for my Freeview input, and the component/composite board for my DVD/VHS connections as suggested by HD.

If I can't live with the FV picture I could always upgrade to a JS box at a later date, but from what you're describing it's not such a showstopper as has been made out on some posts in here.

Thanks again for your time and trouble :).