1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone explain to me about the dyes on discs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by IrishGraham, Aug 4, 2005.

1. IrishGraham

IrishGraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked yesterday about the best discs to use and people started telling me about this dye and that dye which I dont know anything about. Granted I know how the dye workds but where can you find out what dye is in which disc. Does it say in on the boxes they come in?

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Have a look here for starters:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

You need a PC with a DVD-ROM or rewriter to view the media code (dye type ID), using DVDInfoPro (freeware).

Otherwise, SVP advertise the media code of the discs they sell, which is one of the reasons people trust them as retailers.

3. IrishGraham

IrishGraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, everyone here seems to talk about pc burners etc, I have a Sony HX510s recorder, is this better or worse that a dvd burner in a pc?

4. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    For recording TV programs on DVD, the standalone recorder is best.

The PC burners are good for copying and editing the recordings you have made, although there are now standalone recorders with hard disks, like yours, that are pretty good at that on a basic level.

If you get more interested in editing and want to change or design menus and insert scene transitions, then that's when you can consider getting a PC burner. Or maybe when the rest of your household tell you they're fed up of watching you editing stuff in the living room.

5. IrishGraham

IrishGraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That point has already been reached. The "It'll only take 5 mins" doesnt fly anymore, especially as Im only getting used the machine and every 4th word is a profanity as I hit a wrong button. :)

6. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Indeed - it can be a steep learning curve, particularly for the audience.