1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone explain this??!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dazek, May 7, 2005.

1. dazek

dazek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last night i set up my new viera 42" plasma - i was quite dissapointed - there were considerable trails on everything, a lot of artifacts and massive areas of ungraduated colour - i tried the different modes (cinema, dynamic etc) but to no help. We were watching in dynamic though. AT the end of the night i read on this forum that it should be in normal or cinema mode. So i change it to cinema before turning tv off.

this morning i turned the telly on and the picture has a massive improvement! i'm not sure if it is because i'm watching in daylight or what but all the aforementioned symptoms "seem" to have dissappeared???!!!

is there an explanation for this or am i going mad

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Plasma's do improve as they are "run in", but your eyes will acclimatise to the screen too. It's not a good idea to watch any sort of screen in total darkness - you should always have some low-level lighting to one side or behind the screen.

3. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dazek, had the same thing; for the first 100 hours or about, do NOT use the Dynamic mode. Cinema mode indeed gives the best results initially. After yr Viera plasma will have run in, you'll notice a better overall picture, less agressive false contouring/solarisation, white not crushed/blooming anymore (it's quite atrocious the very first few hours :)) and then you can start using Normal or Dynamic (provided you do adjust brightness and contrast down by quite a bit).

HTH,

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    OK.
    Not an expert, but some things to do /check out.

As has been said the Viera and other plasmas need to run in. The picture does get better as this happens.
    To get even better results, turn of all digital noise reduction gimicks in the user menus. These can do more harm to the picture than good.
    Try, if you can to use the DIGITAL VIDEO ESSENTIALS DVD to set up brightness /sharpness/ colour/ and to check contrast and over-scan ect.

Make sure that what you are inputing in to the Viera is also set up correctly.
    This means
    Sky digital set at 16:9 wide mode and set to RGB
    DVD player set and connect via its best out put (componenet or RGB being the best way normaly) and that the dvd player is set to 16:9 wide mode as well.

and finally you should make sure that good scart leads and other such cables are used and the the plasma is not just connect with a 50pence scart lead from the market :D
    As a side note and after much tweaking and fiddeling I have found that Cinema mode , once set up with DVE is the best for DVDS and gaming ,with cinema and normal being the best for generall tv programing This is of course down to personal taste, although Cinema mode tends to hold the black level better when peak whites are being displayed using the test paterens on DVE.

David.

5. dazek

dazek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. dazek

dazek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    peezee - is solarization the word for where you have large patches of the smae colour - or is that blooming???!!