1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone enlighten me please ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by kbj242, Oct 22, 2005.

1. kbj242

kbj242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have a Panasonic 36" CRT (model TX-36PG50)which may be upgraded to a plasma or LCD at some point - but not in the near future.
    It does NOT have Component sockets on the rear - just Scarts.
    It is connected to my new Sony DVD player by means of a S-video > Scart cable. (The audio from the DVD is fed to a surround amp - not the TV)
    The DVD player does, of course, have Component sockets.
    I've just noticed that Supefi are selling a Component > Scart Cable.
    On checking my TV user-manual, amongst the picture setting menus, there is sub-menu called 'scan mode' and within that, the option to select 'progressive'. The text which accopanies it is as follows:
    "We recommend you set 'Scan Mode' to "Progressive" when viewing PAL 60 or NTSC transmission".
    It then says "Note - when viewing a PAL transmission (other than PAL 60) with the scan mode set in 'Progressive' - the screen will flicker - this is NOT a fault"
    My Qu is - can I buy one of Superfi's Component > Scart cables, and watch hi-quality Progressive Scan quality pictures on my faithful CRT ????
    And secondly - if it DOES, and I buy said cable - will my Freeview picture be affected (given the TV settings will have changed) ?
    I know this has rambled on a little, but I thought it best to give you ALL the info.
    BTW - the pictures on my beloved Panasonic CRT are still magnificent; sharp and colourful - I've yet to be convinced the Plasma or LCD offer a vast improvement over the CRT given the vast expense !!
    Thanks in advance.

2. illustrator

illustrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic do not recommend using component video with CRTs even if they have the facility according to their DVD Recorder instructions

3. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It seems faily unlikely that the cable will work to me.

I have the TX-36pl32, and can only think there must be some generic book for them both. Mine has 3 scarts and component.

The progressive signals are usually only accepted via a component connection. Also, these signals are in the YPrPb format. The signals expected by the TV will be RGB through the Scart socket. The conversion from YPrPb to RGB requires an extra box between source and display, so unless there is a specific option for your DVD player then prog scan is an impossibility. I don't know of any CRTs with a Scart socket that accept progressive signals.

However, don't be disheartened, the RGB pictures are almost indistignuishable from component on this set, just pretend you never knew about it!

PS. I'm using PAL prog on my Panny and had no problems with it so far.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    ....when viewing a PAL transmission (other than PAL 60) with the scan mode set in 'Progressive' - the screen will flicker - this is NOT a fault seems fairly self explanatory to me. But just for clarity, UK sources (broadcasts, DVDs etc) are all PAL (50) - not PAL60.

5. kbj242

kbj242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thats saved me £30 on a cable then....thanks everyone.
    As I said - I really can't fault the picture on the screen - either with DVD or Freeview so the phrase "sideways move" leaps to mind even if the cable was compatible!!