1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone confirm if this wireless router package is all I need?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Tetlee, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,268
    Hi all,

Been trying to decide just what router package to buy for my consoles for ages. I like the idea of going wireless and I think this seems a good all in package http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=63549 The problem is I really don't understand exactly what I need so I would like confirmation from someone that this SHOULD work before I buy.

OK, here's how I plan to set it up if it's possible? I guess I will first need to configure the router via my pc. Then I hope to plug the router into my phone filter in the lounge so I can directly connect my xbox/PS2, then use the wireless pc card to allow connection to the pc (which is a seperate room). Is it possible to do it this way or do I really need to have the router plugged into my pc and buy a gaming adaptor (which will be alot more expense)?

Also, I noticed this one looked like another good option and I guess the same question would apply http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=56082&offset=30 This one is cheaper but I notice that alot of you guys seem to like the Linksys gear so I will probably pay the extra.

Any advise or opinions would be welcome and appreciated, maybe I can finally get this sorted before Doom3 is released :thumbsup:

2. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This should do exactly what you want.

You'll be able to connect your consoles with a cable apiece to the main box and your laptop will connect wirelessly using the PCMCIA card.

You will have to configure the box using your PC, but this is a one off.

This is a very similar setup to what I run, except I have a standalone ADSL modem (connects via Ethernet rather than USB) connecting to my wireless router. Lucky I did as the wireless router went bang last week and I had to get it replaced under warranty. As the modem was fine, at least I could still get online, albeit whilst "tethered" ;) by a bright blue Ethernet cable.

3. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,268
    Thanks AOD, now I can go ahead and order, I hope all goes ok with setting the thing up, more than likely I'll be back here for advise on that too :blush: .

I will order tonight, does anyone have any opinions on either router I listed above?

I think I'll opt for the Linksys unless someone advises otherwise.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    my hate has the linksys and was fine, just make sure ADSL is all set-up first as he had an issue with AOL Broadband. should be easy enough to set-up just follow manual, but set-up the modem using a cable first before going wireless.

5. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You're welcome, if you do have any serious issues and we can't resolve them, take a look at AdslGuide.

Personally I would go for the Linksys in preference to the other one mentioned, also as hornydragon says, set it up first with a cable and get online before switching to the wireless card (assuming your laptop has an inbuilt Ethernet socket of course ;) ).

6. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,268
    Actually I don't have a laptop. I will be connecting the Xbox and PS2 directly to the modem/router, and then using the wireless pc card in my desktop pc. I hope this doesn't make a diferance, I just ordered the Linksys so if you think there might be a problem with that set-up please let me know ASAP incase I need to cancel the order. I's so difficult to know what I need, everyone seems to have a different type of setup and in throughout the reviews in ebuyer none I could find had a setup similar to what I am planning, hence the caution.

Anyway, thanks again!