Can anyone clear this up for me

Jim_Fear

Prominent Member
Reaction score
A recent argument that erupted on the forum I run got me a little bemused...this guy works in an AV shop in America, is he talking bull?

Plasma?

Did you know that if you stand in front of a plasma screen you feel lots of heat coming off of it.
Did you know that plasma TV's let off a radation that makes yours eyes glues to the set? No one knows the long term effects of this, as NO manfucature has ever tested it nore do they plan to or care to.

Next time your in the store, push 42" LCD next to the 42" plamsa. If you watch a movie, have way threw you will find your self attracted to the plasma. Even thoe the LCD has a better picture, and colors that are WAY more correct, you will just want to view the plasma. It was one of the selling points about 3years ago when I first got in the busniess. I know its true because when I show the sets I will tell the customer about it, but there glues to the plasma.

Did you know, there is NO way what so ever to fix a plasma screen?

Did you know, If you know plasma comes with burn out pixle's your screwed? most company will not RMA it unless it have 5 or more bad pixles.

Did you know, adverage life of a plasma is about 10,000 hours, to increase this number to 100,000 what they are claming now(it is not ture)they do what is called pixle rotation, where if your not a min of 5foot from the screen, you can see the pixles crawling around on the screen, they rotate them to cause even burn, and slow it down. But crawling pixles looks like **** to EVERYONE!

Did you know, Only about 3 companys still make plasma, everone else just buys from them and use there one turners, frames, connections, ect..

Did you know, Plasma reached its limit of what it could and could not do, the same day is was released.

Did you know, Plasma was released was tempory answer for Airports, bus stations, cruse ships, and other comerical locations, that would swap out these sets ever 2-3 years anyway.

Did you know, There is more then one type of plasma screen, you need to ask if it is gas filled or not, gas filled plasma SUCK, espelly no white, or any other colors that might be brights, because gas filled will flicker.

Plasma makes you cool because it is a flat screen on the wall, anyone will a flat screen on there wall does look nice to the consumer that does not know any better, but for the most part a flat pannel regardless of resoultion, HD or not, Plasma of LCD, does not matter and flat screen of any kind puts you in the baller class.

I dont know if plasma is really saveing you any power at all. Your still thinking LCD, it runs at lower power, and low heat. When LCD gets more popular the cable company is talking about delevering you low voltage power to run your LCD sets, so when Power Company fails, you still have low voltage from the cable and phone company to keep your TV, and phones running. I know this is something that has been talked about for longer then I know, and will happen one day, it is just getting everyone to decied which route they want to go.

Can anyone make any sense of this guy? Bare in mind he is American :D

Not exactley the answer I was expecting...wheres MAW and dal when you need them!

The spelling and grammar of the guy would leave me to believe he's not the sharpest tool in the shed... so wouldn't believe a word of it.

the only bit i can see that has any truth is the dead pixles, most manufacturers have a dead pixel policy. The rest is pretty much nonsense

That is awesome.

Even if he was correct - it's written by someone who has the literary ability of a five year old child.

I can only imagine that this would be like reading a document on Particle Physics, written by Jade Goody.

Where's Hornydragon when you need a good laugh?

3 years in the industry? Who was he working for, Tiny?

And for the record, only one thing will glue your eyes to a plasma.

araldite.jpg

Araldite? I thought it might be the sexy, bright, lushious images on the screen.

I can only imagine that this would be like reading a document on Particle Physics, written by Jade Goody.

HAHA! Thank you, I needed that :rotfl:

So basically, this guy is full of it :thumbsup:

MR.COATES said:

excellent! :rotfl:

Maybe people are drawn to the plasma over an LCD when he demos them because the plasma has a more pleasing picture?

Ah yes, a good point.

Perhaps the american chap had Cher on the LCD and that new Jessica Simpson video on the Plasma?

LCD:
sharplcd2nt.jpg

Plasma:
samsungplasma1tn.jpg

*ding ding ding* Plasma is the winner! :)

mep said:
the only bit i can see that has any truth is the dead pixles, most manufacturers have a dead pixel policy. The rest is pretty much nonsense

Was thinking the same thing...

Are people still going on about having to get your Plasma re-gassed after a few thousand hours - :eek:

Any-chance of getting a link to thread in question, would like to see anyone elses replys to his statement.

Dal

He maybe works for Sony, they completely diss Plasma

Oh man that is the funniest thing I've seen all day!!!! But lets go with it anyway...

- plasmas do emit heat, and early screens did get hot on the glass. There were myths of kids kissing plasma screens and burning their lips on them but its BS as far as I'm concerned

- radiation, well no. Infra red "noise" can be a minor irritant when installing IR recievers nearby, or even putting other kit nearby. EMI is there, but anything electronic creates this to one degree or another

- colours way more correct on LCD?

- depends what's wrong with a plasma screen as to whether you can fix it or not. It's easy enough to replace power supplies, processing circuitry, terminals, bezels, casing. It's probably not cost effective to replace the whole drive unit though. And you're a bit buggered if the smash the glass!!

- I love the pixel point coming from this LCD lover!!!! I've seen more dead pixels on one LCD than I have on all the plasmas I have ever been in the same room with!!!

- I've seen plasmas clocked up to 30k, and these were ooold fellas too. Burned to buggery, but still running fine. Pixel rotation though!!! What a spoon. Every pixel is still lit all the time, it's just the total image that is rotating to soften screen burn effect!! Given that each pixel is lit as much as it would be without rotation I don't know how this guy even.... actually scratch that, with the morons I've spoken to recently (who represent very well known AV companies in London) I think I will believe anything.

- I think there's about 5 plasma manufacturers now. But truish point. Although there are a lot more companies manufacturing PSUs, circuits, bezels etc. It's just the glass.

- I think we've seen ourselves over the years how plasma has improved since the day it was released (when it was a two colour 10" square)

- gas filled!!!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant.

- yes a cool flat screen does make you a, ahem, "baller". Although if you want to be a, ahem, "baller", make sure you do a proper install and don't just have loose wires hanging down to be tucked behind a cupboard! You guilty parties all know who you are ;)

- wow. This last one I must've skimmed over first. LCD TVs powered by the voltage running down your phone line????? If anyone is still believing this guy when they get to this point, please shoot yourself. Seriously, go. I'll clear up the mess, just go get your gun.

You would think that anybody in the AV business would be able to spell pixel, as well as most of the other words this loon has trouble with.
Sounds like some 13 year old kid to me, and a not particularly bright one at that.

My daughter has just been rolling round laughing at his punctuation, spelling and grammar in general, she is 11 by the way.

to be fair to the guy though, English may not be his first language, he could be American! ;)

Com on giys, giv the pour man a charnce, he may be rite, sum off the fings he menshuns is corect two a pointe, others nonsese, he may jast bee akting dum and nos moore than wee fink.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know it's harder than you think to type like that

All that needs is a couple lols and a wtf and that could be a text message from my teenage sister!!

haha! superb thread to finish the day!

I am buggering off home.

MR.COATES said:
That is awesome.

Even if he was correct - it's written by someone who has the literary ability of a five year old child.

I think this is insulting to 5 year olds. :nono:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom