Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

can anyone answer me this is my fourth thread

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by whitewolf, Jan 9, 2005.

1. whitewolf

whitewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no one answers here. why not ?

can anyone say anything about the kef 207 i am dying to get any information i repeat ANY

and if you are kind enough tell me what amp to get for them . there is no demo system here. so just post the amps.

2. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    The Kef reference range is imo superb. One of the best range of speakers out there. The 207's are huge and although I have heard them my focus was primarily on the 203's.

If you havent seen them the 207's are absolutely massive and when I heard them they were powered by Chord monoblocks (I think they were the 1400E model). I would suggest something with that kind of pedigree and power.

You havent said what kind of system you are trying to bring together and what other partnering equipment you are going to use - a HC one or stereo only ?

Stereo/monoblock power amp suggestions would be -

1. Chord 1200E
    2. Parasound JC1 monoblocks
    3. Bryston 7BSST monoblocks (you might be able to get away with a single 4BSST)
    4. An equivalent Krell

There are other as well but I have only ever heard them through the Chord amp described above - they were superb. You must really try to demo before spending that kind of money on amps and speakers.

I cant think of any readily available multichannel amps that will do them justice unless you biamp.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Have you tried using the forum search facility. I did and came up with a forum member's review of the KEF 207 here including further posts on these speakers by another forum member.

Further information is available on KEF's website here

4. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I heard the 207`s in a 7.1 multi-channel system (also featuring the PSW5000 & 204C) being driven by Chord amps/electronics & the sound was just breathtaking,totally unlike anything i had previously heard.Unfortunately,the cost of the Chords was something in excess of £60,000.It also took up a lot of floor space but the sound was definitely worth it! I tried to e-mail Kef regarding apropriate amps for the Ref series,but they just blanked me which i thought was" nice "!

Dan :)

5. whitewolf

whitewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well chords is definetely out of my range . can you tell me something which is a solid performer and the price range should be maximum 2000 pounds. so give me more names and i repeat i need a solid performer because when i bought such expensive speakers so i cant give them a lousy amp.

moreover i am trying to build a home theater . i have a 56 inch projection SONY and a denon 1710 dvd player. i am getting kef 207 this month they are on there way. now need more amp recommendations. my home theater is for my room which is huge with a dimension of 27 feet LENGTH and 15 Feet in width . so i dont need a auditorium amp or something but i need a solid performer for my room since the room is huge.

6. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,790
    Arcam AVR300
    Harman Kardon AVR-630
    Sony TA-DA9000ES (might be able to get it for around £2000 if you shop around)
    Denon 3805

or have a look here

7. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Not sure about the Sony but the other three are definately not going to suffice.

whitewolf - please dont take this the wrong wat but I find it a bit strange that your are buying a £9k (approx) pair of speakers but willing to only spend £2k on amplification. If its a budget issue I personally would rather get something like the 205's and partner them with a better amp.

8. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Rags, none of those amps except perhaps the Sony will do these justice and even then it will struggle.
    For £2k you would get a second hand Arcam FMJ P7 but I would suggest looking at something better to get the most form the 207's. They really enjoy power, something which Chord, Krell etc provide. It might me worth having a word with Joe Fernand about his Flying Moles digital amps and see whether they will do the job

If you skimp ion the amplification then you just won't do the 207's justice and even worse if you drive them too hard with an underpowered amp you may damage them and/or the amp.

HTH
    John

9. whitewolf

whitewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok here is the deal. i know that the price for 207 was 15k pounds and the dealer price is 9k pounds but luckily i am able to get a brand new pair for just 5k pounds i dont know how but in Pakistan the dealer gave me this price. maybe because kef is trying to enter our countries market for the first tme. so i spent 5 k there and i have 2k left but here is what i can push my amplifier budget to 3k if the u can give me some names with which i can do justice to the speakers . I have noted down the sony for now need more names.

and yes as i got the kef 207 cheaper then the price u guys have so i guess i will also get the amplifiers cheaper somehow which even i dont know HOW. but defenetely i would get them cheaper . so give me names for 4k pound amp and 3k pounds amp and i guess i would get them here for 2k .

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Right, I'm off to Pakistan to buy some amps, who's with me? :D I would still go with the monobloc power amp route personally, the 207s are very power hungry as said before, and I don't think an integrated exists that could do them justice.

I know Lexicon have just released an integrated solution that might be good enough, and that retails for about £5K in the UK, but can't remember the model number, anybody out there with the Feb issue of What Hi Fi should be able to tell you, as it is reviewed in there.

You might get away with a Yamaha Z9, or maybe one of the high end Marantz amps, and the flagship Denon may also be an option if you must go the integrated route. Otherwise the list that recruit put up before is the best amplification for speakers of that class.

11. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I demoed my old harman/kardon AVR8500 with a full brace (5.1) set of KEF Ref speakers. The sound was fantastic at THX ref levels. To compare, the Denon A1SR was straining and begining sound harsh at these levels. If you get a high current receiver, like the 8500, then it will work with the KEF's. I must say that you will be out of step, system wise, until you get some kind of pre/power solution.

Russell

12. whitewolf

whitewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kazman whats the denon flagship model and what about the yamaha z9

13. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
  14. whitewolf

whitewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i can get the sony 9000 es for around 2.5 k pounds here if that is enough for my kef 207 i can afford that . its in my budget and whats the difference b.w a power amplifier and a receiver

15. whitewolf

whitewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whats bi-amp (ing) ?

i can get a yamaha z9 for 2.5 k pounds also . whats better

16. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I'd pick the Yamaha over the Sony, the Sony sounds a bit harsh to my ears.

Please note though, these amps are a compromise not a solution to your needs. The points made earlier still stand, and the Yamaha Z9 or the DEnon mentioned above would be the bare minimum requirement, and could still damage the 207's if you over drive them.

This would be more a stop gap solution than a final solution, personally, I'd be a bit more patient and wait to save some more money and get the proper amplification that recruit mentioned in his first post.

17. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    See also your other thread in the integrated amps section,whitewolf,since you're posting in multiple areas,and simply getting fewer responses to each.

Also note that you've now specified £2000 for your amp instead of £3000 as originally quoted in the other thread.....you may also wish to consider buying a used Krell 400i.

See also the Bryston B100 integrated.

18. whitewolf

whitewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2000 or 3000 pounds both are same. i can go up till 3k pounds.

in my kef 207 its says that amplifier requirement 50-400 whats that. is that the watts per channel thing . like sony 9000 supports 200 watts per channel so does that mean 400 watts per pair as is required . shed some light on it.

and whats bi amping

19. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Do they not say please around your parts mate? I think you will find more people willing to help if you asked a little nicer. A little more politeness and you may find it works wonders.

Bi-amping basically means using either two amplification channels or two different amps to drive one speaker, it gives a more stable power output and is the best way to drive big speakers. The sound quality and power supplied is much better.

The 200 Watts per channel served by the Sony means that it can serve up to 200 Watts on each channel, but it is unlikely that it is able to supply 200 watts to all of its channels simultaneously.

The 50-400 requirement statement on the your speakers gives the minimum to maximum values of handling power. It basically means nothing of less than a stable 50watts per channel should be used, and nothing over 400 watts sustained output.

The 50wpc would be the bare minimum, and I don't think anyone on this forum would suggest such a low powered amp, the speakers would sound awful, and you would break them within a few months.

The Krell mentioned by Alex would also be a good buy.

20. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Think I reminded you about please and thank you previously.....perhaps you might try using those words a few times,given the extent of the advice you've already received,despite your inability to use either so far.

I would also say that £3k is 50 percent greater than £2k,and not quite the same....

If you buy a sufficiently good 200W amp,I would also say biamping will be unnecessary in most cases,having run single,bi and multiamped Krells previously.

21. whitewolf

whitewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well thanks a lot that really helped.

now PLEASE tell me that as alexs 2 said that " buy a good 200 W amp " so is he referring to the 200 watts per channel thing because apart from it there is no other watts written on amp specifications.

so u are referring to the per channel power right.

22. whitewolf

whitewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as for Krell i guess its very expensive since i wont be getting a used peice here in Pakistan.
    Bi amp is too much no interest in that. i am making a home theater for a room anyway and its also my bed room.

so i guess what i need is a poweramplifier or a receiver if it can do justice. i hope either the sony 9000 or the yamaha z9 or the denon flagship can do the job.

23. whitewolf

whitewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Karman please tell me this also that as u said "The 50-400 requirement statement on the your speakers gives the minimum to maximum values of handling power. It basically means nothing of less than a stable 50watts per channel should be used, and nothing over 400 watts sustained output."

so this requirement of 50-400 is this referring to a single speaker or a pair. for e.g like denon amp says it can deliver 170 watts per channel so does that mean that this would be 170+170=340 and meets the speaker requirements almost. OR would it be like 170 per channel so just 170 out of 400 for that single channel.

so is this 50-400 referring to a single speaker input or a pairs input ?

24. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    All the power ratings you've been told are for individual channels (speakers).

25. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Look for an amp that delivers high current & disregard the wattage figures.Sorry,but with the greatest respect to the integrated amps mentioned,i dont think that any of them would even remotely do justice to the 207`s. These speakers are designed to be used with high-current mono-block amps & high quality processors.Put them with an integrated if you want,but i dont think you will be satisfied with the end result.It certainly wont sound like £8,000 worth! It seems like you have put too much of your budget into your speakers(magnificent though they are) & are now trying to skimp on the electronics......it just wont work.My advice would be to save some more cash & then go for a(second hand) Krell Showcase amp/pro or even s/h Chord or Tag.

Dan

26. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused:

27. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I have to say I agree with the general direction of what you're saying,but in terms of current delivery,load tolerance and general quality,you'd be surprised by the Krell 400i.....it delivers well above it's rated power,and will put many monoblocs to shame.

The point though is entirely correct,and has also been made by a few others,that the speakers are in a price and quality bracket above that of the intended electronics,especially if an eventual move to a multichannel system is being considered,when it would be best to buy a good processor now,and then add further amps as funds allow,when further speakers are bought.

At that sort of level,as well as Krell and Chord,brands such as Meridian and Bryston should also be considered,even in relatively basic 2 channel form now,with a view to your multichannel upgrades later.

28. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    LOL! Sorry mate, I meant Rags :D :rotfl:

29. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd forgotten about the Harmon Kardon, if you really must go low end integrated, then search out a used one. Looking at the higher end look at the Krell that Alexs2 suggested................although that is only 2 channel so you would still need the other 3 channels for a basic 5.1 system (plis sub)

HTH
    John

30. whitewolf

whitewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm. THANKS.

hey someone mentioned processors above. well i am not buying any processor here . and i have not even seen any here . i have heard of a computer processor thats it.

so as u guys said that i need to get a powerful amp. well i still say i am not buying a processor ( what ever it is) and i wont be bi-amp ing and making my life miseable since home theater is not the end of the world. what i need is a simple solution and with all respect i am not saying that u guys arent helping me out. U guys are but PLease help me more , help me to find a simple integrated receiver solution like the sony 9000 or denon flagship. there must be something that will work with them i am sure.

and Karman or anyone answer this. that on my kef it says that amp requirements 50-400 now is this requirement on the speaker referring to the input of a single channel through the amp or is this a pairs input.