1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anybody please help????

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jamesbocco, Oct 4, 2004.

1. jamesbocco

jamesbocco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there, I just purchased a cheap player for my bedroom - a Sony DVP-NS355 multi region from Amazon. It plays region 2 DVDs fine but when I put in a region 1 DVD (e.g. Fletch Lives) the top of the picture seems to go wavy. Anybody any ideas on how to remedy this. I have tried to change the playback from PAL to NTSC on the player and there is no option to do this!! Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!!

2. spergabite

spergabite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a limitation of your television - (i bet you have a sony tv). i have the same problem, you can adjust the screen through the engineers service menu but do so with great caution! and keep a record of your original settings - The problem with doing this is that you can adjust for ntsc images to look fine but pal images will be distorted - your best bet is to get an lcd or plasma which dont suffer from this sort of distortion.

Let me know ifyou want service menu code by pm

3. rockyglw

rockyglw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The problem is to do with macrovision and NTSC DVDs'. I have two Philips WS TV's that do the same, using a Pioneer 575 and a Toshiba 330 DVD players. The problem of wavy lines appear on most non 2:35.1 R1 films(obviuosly films with black bands conceal the effect. The only full screen R1 DVD that does not display the problem, in my experience, is Goldeneye (I've no idea why). I can overcome the effect by switching the Pioneer to pure NTSC output, however in most cases I can't be bothered as ther are picture trade offs. Adjusting the picture of your TV by overscanning to conceal the wavy lines at the top of the screen does not seem to be a satisfactory solution