1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can anybody help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by weegie, Jan 17, 2005.

1. weegie

weegie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very new to projectors looking at spending £1000 on an LCD projector to be used for television and watching DVD's, and it will be ceiling mounted. I also may use it for internet. The room it will be in is bright in the day we have used a 1100 lumen projector in the room once successfully, Does anybody have any recommendations/advice as i have looked and there are lots to choose from.

:lease:

2. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi weegie, well I'm in the same situation!

I want a pj really just for watching films, which means I'll probably only use it 2 or 3 times a week (lamp life shouldn't be a problem then :) , my room is approx 12ft x 14ft and I have to make the installation as 'woman friendly' as possible.

I'm looking at spending about £1k inc screen and I have decided to get an LCD pj as I would rather have small pq problems than get a migraine (from what I have read most budget dlp pj's have slower colour wheels/less sections which makes rainbowing much more likely)
    So my shortlist is:
    EPSON TW10
    HITACHI PJ-TX100 (have seen this online for £799 inc vat and interest free)
    and I have seen a manual pull down 16:9 screen for £70 +vat & del.

hope this helps. all I need to do now is find a way of telling the missus that we are getting a pj but it won't look stupid in the living room and it wasn't that expensive (honest)

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I think there are one or two people about to buy this PJ who would be rather interested where you've seen it for this price!

...PJ

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    The Epson TW10H is a great budget PJ and can be picked up for around £550. I bought one from Technoworld.co.uk for that and I can't fault the company at all! I had a dead pixel on my first one and they replaced it with a brand new (and fault free) one within a couple of days! :thumbsup:

It's a 1200 Lm and 800:1 contrast PJ which knocks out a great picture for the price! It can be used reasonably well in lighter rooms using the dynamic or living room setting but I tend to run it in Theatre Black in a dark room which gives a great picture and doubles the bulb life :thumbsup: .

One other great thing is that the bulbs have a good life (around 4000 hrs in Theatre Black mode) and are comparatively cheap to buy at around £140 a pop!

I use mine mainly for DVD's & Video games but I have also used my PC on it to great effect. Good connectivity apart from the lack of DVI but for this price I can't grumble!

If you are wanting to go up to the top of your budget then the Hitachi TX-100 is another great PJ. Obviously better than the Epson in several areas with higher resolution (WXGA), better contrast (1200:1) and DVI conectivity. For me and my current circumstances & budget the Epson was ideal as I don't have a huge need for DVI at the moment and I couldn't stretch to the Hitachi right now. When HDTV etc is more established I hope to be in a position to buy another PJ then (say in a year or two) and the Epson can become a secondary gaming PJ at that time.

Anyway, hope that helps and from reading your list of requirements I think that the Hitachi would be a superb buy! :thumbsup:

5. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45