Question Can any thing take the place of my htpc

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by pronto, Jul 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. pronto

pronto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sorry to all if this post is in the wrong section.....Hi to everyone its been a while since I posted on Avforums I've read a lot but not posted. For the last 15 years I've used an htpc windows media centre edition to watch dvd,bluray and record tv analogue and digital freeview hd, well I've just bought a 4K tv and I want to buy a freeview hd recorder to replace the htpc as that's going in another room,so I need to know what's available nowadays, searching the tinternet there seems to be only a few makes to choose from Humax, Sony,Panasonic, BT,goodmans or is there any thing special out there I don't want to sign up to a deliverer ie virgin, BT, thank you

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    As you have a 4K TV you might want to reconsider your 'I don't want to sign up to a deliverer' as BT are about to launch the UK's first 4K TV service (well other than Netflix 4K). To get this you need to be on BT Infinity and get the UHD Youview box, for more information see here: BT TV launches Ultra HD Sports Channel & 1TB Ultra HD YouView+ Box | AVForums

But other than that it is HD only and there are several options such as the standard Youview PVR that offers the main free catch-up TV, or if not required there is the old HDR FOX T2 that is well regarded.

Mark.

3. crockett

crockett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    If you like to tinker with your boxes to tweak existing behaviour and add new facilities then I would still recommend the Humax HDR Fox T2, with the customised software (see HERE). Unfortunately the T2 is no longer manufactured so you would need to check auction sites or other sources for stock. Freeview Play boxes should also be launching soon so you might want to have a look at them as well.