1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can any scaling DVD players scale external sources?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jrecampbell, May 5, 2005.

1. jrecampbell

jrecampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been having a trawl through the forums but one question I can't find a definitive answer to is which scaling DVD players allow you to also use them as standalone scalers for other sources. The only evidence I can find is a user of a Meridian player which seems to allow standard definition sources to connect to it and make use of its internal scaler independently. Do you know of any others? I'd love to just get one box - a scaling DVD player that also scales up my SKY+ for example. Would consider £500+ but suspect even up to a grand could be a pipedream, especially if the only option was a Meridian :rolleyes:

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Only a handfull of high end machines to my knowledge, Including the TagMclaren DVD32R/FLR when fitted with PSM (although its not strictly scaling, just deinterlacing) :)

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    and the meridian isnt even that good......... £650 gets you an Iscan HD £800 an HD+ or Lumagen DVi both will outperfom scaling DVD players up to £2k but what are yopu connecting too that makes you want upscaled video anyway?

4. jrecampbell

jrecampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky+, PS2 primarily. Probably overkill but the improvements I've seen from a friend's iScan with his Freeview box was quite remarkable. 2K not a sensible level of outlay for me but £600 seems reasonable'ish for a DVDO scaler seeing as it's going into a large Sharp LCD. Time to ponder some more I think.

5. Carl Ed

Carl Ed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Immersive Symmetry DVP does what you want, but it's highly debateable whether it has any advantages over just buying a DVD player and a scaler sepperately.