1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can any PVR auto adjust repeat recordings?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by azzo, Sep 24, 2005.

Tags:
  1. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Simple one this, when you set an auto record, (e.g. every Wed) do all PVRs just register the date and time of the recording or are any intellegent enough to work out if the program schedule changes. Classic example is CSI NY on saturday which changes very often by 5 to 15 minutes. (NB These are schdule changes and NOT program overruns)
    Thanks
    azzo

2. tdenson

tdenson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yep, I've had one for at least 4 years, it's called Tivo.

3. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi tdenson, I was thinking of freeview PVRs, I am sure sky+ does this as well...
    azzo

4. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Sky+ and I think most Freeview DVRs do this, but they lack the superior metadata that TiVo has.
    Sky+ does respond to changes in more or less realtime. So occasionally it will be more reliable than TiVo which gets its download once a day (or more often if you hack it). However a number of TiVo users have ditched Sky+ as it is less reliable overrall. This does depend on your viewing habits as it seems the EPG accuracy of Sky+ is better than TiVos for some channels and vice-versa. So for some people TiVo's EPG is much more reliable, for others it is better on Sky+. TiVo also has a much longer one month EPG so you can set season passes/series links for well into the future. TiVo can also handle both a Sky EPG and a Freeview EPG at the same time.

Also Sky+ doesn't always updates its EPG at the last minute.

I am not sure if there is a Freeview DVR that gives last-minute EPG updates.
    Maybe a Topfield TAP or TiVoweb add-on could hook into someones database which has last-minute changes. Problem is finding someone who is willing to update this database for free or low cost.

Sky+ has automatic padding. This helps if your programme overruns or starts early. The Toppy and TiVo can have this added as well, but I am not sure about other Freeview DVRs.