Can any networking gurus tell me if this design will work?

ExtraMask

Novice Member
Reaction score
I want to create two subnets and wondering if it's possible with the diagram I've made.

The main router IP 10.0.0.1

CIDR Block 10.0.0.0/21
IP Range 10.0.0.0 - 10.0.3.255
Subnet 255.255.252.0

Within this there would be the servers, then PCs. The Mesh AP will have a Staff SSID that will have the same IP configuration as above.

There will also be a Guest SSID that will have a configuration of

CIDR Block 172.16.0.0/21
IP Range 172.16.0.0 - 172.16.7.255
Subnet 255.255.248.0

I want the PCs to be able to connect with all servers.

Staff SSID devices will be able to communicate with the servers and with the PCs and printers.

Guest SSID devices will only be able to communicate with the Guest Intranet Server.

Both SSIDs will have internet access.

I'm not sure if the design will work, I'm designing it for an assignment but the course material is pretty poor so I'm trying to learn from multiple sources.

Attachments

• Network Diagram 2.jpeg
    Network Diagram 2.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 70
It seems a bit muddled what's the question you are trying to answer?. How many users have you actually got?

Are you really using a wireless mesh?

You haven't mention vlans etc

It seems a bit muddled what's the question you are trying to answer?. How many users have you actually got?

Are you really using a wireless mesh?

You haven't mention vlans etc

Sorry, I'm not greatly experienced with corporate networks.

I'm to design a network to cover a zoo area of 2km and needs to be accessible anywhere in the park. The reason for the mesh was because the area isn't fully accessible with cables and I'd seen one in USA that used a mesh network for a similar project. I've also seen information on Cisco that shows their mesh AP have good range Cisco Wireless Mesh Access Points, Design and Deployment Guide, Release 7.3 - Site Preparation and Planning [Cisco Aironet 1520 Series]

I'm wanting to design it for around 1500 simultaneous users.

Most likely we'd implement two separate LAN's (one for corporate and one for guest) that are both connected to separate interfaces on a "proper" router with routing rules to keep the traffic of each LAN separate. "Proper" routers - as opposed to SOHO "get-you-on-the-internet" omni-boxes - often feature multiple interfaces (ports) so that you can route between multiple networks.

However, to cut down on the amount of physical kit required, these days we'd be using routers, AP's and network switches that can support the aforementioned VLAN's and vitrualise much of it.

I think a good jumping off point for you would be to research what "proper" IP routers do: Routers joins networks (note the plural there) together and move traffic between them (or not) depending on the routes, ACL's and so forth they are configured with. A little research into the OSI 7 Layer Data Networking model might pay you some dividends also.

Most enterprise AP's and ethernet switches support VLAN's, so one would be configuring the AP's ("mesh" or otherwise) to bind each SSID to a given VLAN and similarly the ports on the ethernet switches.

Don't over think this - just imagine what you would do if you were implementing each subnet with separate equipment, then "collapse" that into VLAN capable equipment - hopefully you'll come up with a much simpler design. Design the subnet and routing structure first, then figure out how to deliver than over wires/Wi-Fi.

Of course, real world, there's loads more to consider which is possibly outside the remit of your brief such as firewalls, content filters, guest authentication, legal liability, billing, logging, resilience, redundancy, yada, yada.

Last edited:
The main router IP 10.0.0.1

CIDR Block 10.0.0.0/21
IP Range 10.0.0.0 - 10.0.3.255
Subnet 255.255.252.0

CIDR block should be a /22, not /21.

As Mick and CM say/imply, so many questions for this, but I guess it's theory exercise.

Some very quick thoughts...

I'd want to have multiple subnets for this: servers, internet systems, PTP links, access layer and distribution/core, redundancy, maybe a few for different areas of the zoo depending on what [cabling] infrastructure there is.

Cable connected APs are more deterministic than mesh (and reliable IMHO).

Cisco WLC is happy routing CAPWAP over subnets, no need for it all on one end-to-end VLAN.

I'd be keeping all IP ranges in 10.x.x.x, no need for using 172.16.x.x

Thanks for the replies guys.

The area is very restricted in terms of cabelling. I was intending to use 10Gbase-SX but the zoo plan I've got doesn't really have any areas where lengths of cables can be put down, which is why I went for mesh.

With the mesh there's also an option of having rooted AP, so I may be able to increase reliability that way.

I'd want to have multiple subnets for this: servers, internet systems, PTP links, access layer and distribution/core, redundancy

Would this be for security purposes?
Also would this be achived through using VLAN on a layer 3 switch?

Is there any recommendation on the diagram I did? It was my first attempt, so I'll welcome all feedback.

The area is very restricted in terms of cabelling. I was intending to use 10Gbase-SX but the zoo plan I've got doesn't really have any areas where lengths of cables can be put down, which is why I went for mesh.

What cabling do you have, MMF or SMF? You'll not get far with 10GBASE-SR (I assume you mean SR and not SX) on multimode fibre.

With the mesh there's also an option of having rooted AP, so I may be able to increase reliability that way.

Yes, redundancy could be had with Mesh.

Would this be for security purposes?
Also would this be achived through using VLAN on a layer 3 switch?

A few reasons: security, separation, resilience, scalability, capacity, convergence.

Is there any recommendation on the diagram I did? It was my first attempt, so I'll welcome all feedback.

It's really hard to comment without seeing much more detail about the site, infra and plans etc, sorry.

Is this for a 'study' project or similar or for have you been given this to do by a 'zoo' to do for real?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom