1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can any electricians help me on this?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Tracey, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone know if it's illegal or against regulations to fit plug sockets into the skirting? I've sound proofed my wall so I wanted to fit double sockets for my hi-fi into the skirting or it will ruin the sound proofing. All sockets will be used and will be behind my cabinet so you won't even be able to see them.

If it is against refulations does anyone know why, is it dangerous? I don't have any ankle biters or pets, and if I ever sell the house I can just remove the sockets, I do have other sockets above the skirting but none along the wall where my hi-fi will be.

2. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    In my barn conversion we are required to fit sockets at a minimum of something like 18" from the finished floor for disabled access. However, many places have surface mounted sockets on the skirting so I don't see a problem. As long as you are competent and know what you are doing. Remember you must not spur off a spur and make sure everything is well earthed.

3. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found an article saying that the reason sockets shouldn't be fitted in skirting is because it's possible they may get hot and the wood could catch fire, but apparently it used to be ok to fit in skirting until the regulatins were changed. maybe I shouldn't take a chance then? My friend knows an electrician so I might ask him and see what he thinks, if it's very unlikely to cause a problem I might just get them fitted in the skirting.

I won't be doing it, somebody who knows what they're doing will.

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I suppose you could route the power supply out as trailing cables through the skirting into a home-made junction box on the floor.

A few slabs of MDF and some standard wallplugs would work, I know one forum member made a very impressive extension lead in this manner. It would just have to be hardwired into the wall.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    My skirting is 'plastic', is fully compliant with specs and carries all wiring and sockets. It can also take other signals as well with it's three compartments if I want it to.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    I'm sure there is something in current building or electrical rules about minimum height. It's not about wood/heat/fire - but I'm not sure of the reason.

One practical reason I can think of, is that, on the skirting (unless it is very tall) sockets will be so close to the floor as to mean the cable coming out of the plug will, at best, be sharply bent and at worst won't bend enough (eg ready-made encapsulated plugs with a cable protector), preventing plug insertion.

If you can't find a 'legal' reason not to, consider mounting the sockets upside down to avoid this.

7. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    IEE Regs sixteenth edition and i quote: A socket outlet on a wall or similar structure shall be mounted at a height above the floor or any working surface to minimze the risk of mechanical damage to the socket-outlet or to an associated plug and its flexible cord which might be caused during insertion,use or withdrawal of the plug.

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    They'll probably look ugly, but how about surface mounting them? You can probably use ordinary wrawl plugs and no-more-nails (or similar) so that you keep the wall sealed and screw into those as normal. If you know where the battons are, then screw into those for extra strength.

Run minitrunking up to the sockets for the cables. Like I say, not the prettiest way to do it, but if it's dark, no-one'll see them. :)

Gary.

9. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok then, how about putting the sockets in the floor (flush not surface mounted) can I do that?

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  11. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may have found a solution then, thanks.

12. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    You might have to use sockets with a protective cover though. If the floor's hollow you could put in a cavity for them and just run the cables out.

13. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes the floor is hollow, it's a standard wooden floor with lots of room underneath and we're just laying an ash floor on top of it.

14. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    In that case, I'd wire a bank of sockets (maybe 2 more than you actually need if there aren't current delivery problems) into a cavity with a trapdoor above it. You'd just need a hole to let the cables out and it would look much better than having sockets anywhere in the room.

15. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, that's a really good idea. I'll have to see what the boss says, he's got to do the work after all! :D