Can any electricians help me on this?

T

Tracey

does anyone know if it's illegal or against regulations to fit plug sockets into the skirting? I've sound proofed my wall so I wanted to fit double sockets for my hi-fi into the skirting or it will ruin the sound proofing. All sockets will be used and will be behind my cabinet so you won't even be able to see them.

If it is against refulations does anyone know why, is it dangerous? I don't have any ankle biters or pets, and if I ever sell the house I can just remove the sockets, I do have other sockets above the skirting but none along the wall where my hi-fi will be.

Stereo Steve

Novice Member
In my barn conversion we are required to fit sockets at a minimum of something like 18" from the finished floor for disabled access. However, many places have surface mounted sockets on the skirting so I don't see a problem. As long as you are competent and know what you are doing. Remember you must not spur off a spur and make sure everything is well earthed.

T

Tracey

I found an article saying that the reason sockets shouldn't be fitted in skirting is because it's possible they may get hot and the wood could catch fire, but apparently it used to be ok to fit in skirting until the regulatins were changed. maybe I shouldn't take a chance then? My friend knows an electrician so I might ask him and see what he thinks, if it's very unlikely to cause a problem I might just get them fitted in the skirting.

I won't be doing it, somebody who knows what they're doing will.

Nic Rhodes

My skirting is 'plastic', is fully compliant with specs and carries all wiring and sockets. It can also take other signals as well with it's three compartments if I want it to.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure there is something in current building or electrical rules about minimum height. It's not about wood/heat/fire - but I'm not sure of the reason.

One practical reason I can think of, is that, on the skirting (unless it is very tall) sockets will be so close to the floor as to mean the cable coming out of the plug will, at best, be sharply bent and at worst won't bend enough (eg ready-made encapsulated plugs with a cable protector), preventing plug insertion.

If you can't find a 'legal' reason not to, consider mounting the sockets upside down to avoid this.

stegalv

IEE Regs sixteenth edition and i quote: A socket outlet on a wall or similar structure shall be mounted at a height above the floor or any working surface to minimze the risk of mechanical damage to the socket-outlet or to an associated plug and its flexible cord which might be caused during insertion,use or withdrawal of the plug.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
They'll probably look ugly, but how about surface mounting them? You can probably use ordinary wrawl plugs and no-more-nails (or similar) so that you keep the wall sealed and screw into those as normal. If you know where the battons are, then screw into those for extra strength.

Run minitrunking up to the sockets for the cables. Like I say, not the prettiest way to do it, but if it's dark, no-one'll see them. :)

Gary.

T

Tracey

ok then, how about putting the sockets in the floor (flush not surface mounted) can I do that?

T

Tracey

yes the floor is hollow, it's a standard wooden floor with lots of room underneath and we're just laying an ash floor on top of it.

T

Tracey

thanks, that's a really good idea. I'll have to see what the boss says, he's got to do the work after all! :D

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom