1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can an XGA projector produce HDTV?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sstevenson, Nov 5, 2003.

1. sstevenson

sstevenson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am an AV newbie, and haven't been able to find an article that gives me any hard requirements for resolutions and HDTV. Since HDTV 720p is a 1280x720 resolution, does an XGA projector (1024x768) offer any advantage over SVGA (800x600)? Or, do I have to step up to an SXGA projector (1280x1024) to view an HDTV signal? If I can't afford an SXGA projector to achieve true HDTV, is there any advantage to buying an XGA projector over a SVGA projector?

Thanks

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,671
    I've seen Hi Def via tape and HDTV demo clips from my HTPC, and both produce a noticeably better image than DVD does.

Despite XGA being less than optimal, the higher res of Hi Def seems to allow better detail resoloution in background images, as well as noticably more detailed foreground images. There also seems to be no artefacts in the stuff that I saw either, which can also give a far more solid looking picture.

As for SVGA, people who have seen the same Hi Def clips as myself have not noticed any real improvements, so SVGA does seem to be a limitation for Hi Def material.

1280 x 720 would probably be a better choice, as many HD2 DLP projectors (and others) now support this resolution.

Try these clips to see if you notice any improvement. You'll need Windows Media Player 9 to play them, and a half decent processor (2000+) for stutter free playback. 2600+ for the T2 Hi def DVD anamorphic clip.

HTH

Gary.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here

;)