Can an Onkyo TX-NR509 power a pair of Kef Q900's!?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Wayne00, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Wayne00

Wayne00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I think they look and sound brilliant. I have the said amp connected to a cheapy Onkyo surround sound speakers (£150 worth lol) and just wondering if it would power these in stereo for music? Or to use as fronts for surround sound with my Onkyo speakers temporarily?

The Q900's are a class above what i'm used to but well... I have the bug lol!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,409
    Your amp has more than the minimum power to be able to run the speakers but you will be getting nowhere near the best from them with your current amp.
    Also bear in mind that to get the best from them you are going to need to be looking in the region of £1k for your next receiver. If you feel you will not have this much to spend then I would look at different speakers.
    I would also recommend listening to a few other speakers in the same price range, i.e. Monitor Audio RX or Focal 700/800 series, to get a feel for what is available and what sounds best too you.
    What size room do you have? Will the speakers have to be near a wall or corner? Not sure how fussy the Q900 are with room placement but they are biggish speakers so may not react well to being close to a wall or corner.
    Also I would get the matching centre at the same time (or not bother using the Onkyo centre and allow the Q900s to create a phantom centre). Considering the centre takes around 60% of the total sound output for movies it is not a speaker you want to compromise on or be hugely out of balance with the front L/R.
    I take it you will be listening to a lot of music in stereo? If not then such large speakers are not really needed for just movies/TV. If music is a big priority you may be better getting a sourc select switch and a decent stereo amp and then using your music sources through this. This will give much better sound quality for a reasonable amount of money.

3. Wayne00

Wayne00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for your reply mate, a real eye opener. I just figured amps get their price tag from more features but I guess your really paying for the amps amping ability! I need to go visit a shop and try the same set of speakers from different amps to really appreciate how much influence the amp has itself on the sound quality!

If I purchased the Kef centre to go with the Q900's then that would be great for music and for movies I could keep my current Onkyo Sub and rears for surround sound? I need to have a read up on what a source selector is!

Thanks and Merry Xmas!

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,409
    You could keep your current rears and sub for now and then upgrade them later as funds allow.

5. diablo

diablo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The onkyo 608, which I have, has the same power amp stage as the 609. According to this article it can deliver nearly 130 genuine watts in stereo mode.

Onkyo TX-SR608 A/V Receiver HT Labs Measures | Home Theater

I have a switch which can swap my Harmon Kardon stereo amp with the Onkyo and I cannot actually tell the difference if comparing the direct mode on each.

Though I only listen at moderate levels, at high levels there may be a difference. The HK has much larger capacitors to take care of transients - in theory. But the Onkyo puts up a really good performance for less money than the HK cost.

6. Wayne00

Wayne00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ah ok thanks. I'm not really an expert in the field so I probably won't notice the difference in sound between a 1k amp and my 509. As long as it sounds good and impressive i'm happy. The Q900's has such a room presence they would serve as not only a great pair of speakers but also be the feature of the front room!

Is the 608/609 the same amp stage as the lower model my 509?

7. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +719
  8. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,409
    What speakers do you have? The difference between the 2 amps may not be that noticable if you have easy to drive speakers or lower quality ones.
    To the OP the Q900s are large speakers and may well show up the flaws in your 509. Hence I suspect you will tell the difference between your 509 and a £1k amp. I know I have noticed the differences between cheaper amps I have had and the better ones I have had now (especially with my PMC speakers which really cam alive with my current Arcam receiver). Make sure you go and demo a couple of receivers just to confirm if you do or do not hear a difference. If you really do not then great but be a shame to under sell the Q900s with a budget receiver if you can tell the difference.

9. diablo

diablo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Actually it isn't. I had the idea that they had used the three-stage inverted Darlington circuitry for the 5 series in this model year - but they haven't.

p.s. I'm using XTZ 99.26 speakers which some say are difficult to drive.

10. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,409
    XTC speakers are said to be quite revealing with the ribbon tweeter so should show up the differences between amps.