1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can all HDCP compatible TVs with DVI inputs accept a HDMI input?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MikeGr, Sep 22, 2004.

1. MikeGr

MikeGr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In a recent post, MAW said the following:

NC11, you don't 'get' HDMI, it's just a restricted digital video interface, as long as a dvi port is HDCP compliant, it will take HDMI input. The shape of the plug matters not one jot. The other difference is that you can send digital audio up to your display. That's a big thrill then. Next point, you will have 2 or at the most 3 cables to a properly done panel install, use your imagination to hide them. 2 for a standard job, 3 for a Panasonic PW with picture in picture sorted. 1 power, the others video. In fact, I use a cable which carries component and s-video inside the same sheath. I will grant you the 434 is one of the best TV plasmas around, but compared to a properly set up MXE-1 I don't think so! VGA input is on the front of the media box, and no native resolution via digital, not enough inputs, and shared YUV and HDMI is an irritation for gamers with component kits. Think it through, don't just take the 'easy' option without considering.

This was news to me. Does HDMI use a different plug to DVI?

Some people on this forum have found incompatibilities between their DVD players and TVs. Is there any rules to which this "HDCP compliance" or "High Definition compatible" labels actually conform to?

Following on from the above, will the Philips 32PF9986 display HDMI pictures using the HDCP compliant DVI input (actually a SCART socket on the back of the TV) if the right cable can be sourced?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    They have different plugs. DVI is RGB colourspace signal. HDMI is either YUV or RGB colourspace signal. HDMI sources and displays tends to support video resolutions but HDMI is not limited to them. DVI tends to be PC resolutions but again is not limited to them.

It would be foolhardy to presume that you can always plug an HDMI output in to a DVI input and get a picture or vice versa...regardless of whether there is or is not HDCP compliance.

Here's a little article about it
    www.convergent-av.co.uk/article1.html