1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a Yamaha RX-V650 Bi-amp by itself?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by the_john, Aug 17, 2005.

1. the_john

the_john

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

I've been happily hibernating over the southern hemisphere's winter and now that spring has come round I've woken up to the wonderful world of HT and the possibility of making my song singing investment sound even better through bi-amping.

Only problem is I don't think I've fully grasped the full mechanics behind it. I've read guides on how to do it all over the net with power amps but do I really need one?

I've got a Yamaha RX-V650 with two Mission M34i fronts. The V650 has the option of running two sets of front speakers - A & B - as well as zone 2 speakers. Can I biamp the missions by running the fronts off both the A & Bs? Or does the Yammy just split the power output between them and make it an exercise in futility? If so, would the 2nd zone be able to do this? Or am I missing a major piece of the puzzle?
    :confused:

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    they share the same amplifiers, so its just a simple way of biwiring, which some swear by and some don't. it won't make anywhere near the difference a power amp would (true bi-amping, or just not using yam's amps at all for fronts)

3. the_john

the_john

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Chedmaster.

After your reply I played round with my setup for a few days and unlike the A & B amp, the 2nd zone runs off a separate amp. I gave it a kick using the zone 2 amp but I'm buggered if I can get the balance between the two amps right. :D
    After much effort I think I'll settle for the bi-wiring. A seperate power amp outta reach at the mo and my setup's pretty modest but I take pride in thrashing out Franz Ferdinand, Minuit, Breaks Co-Op and wearing out my LOTR dvds. Luckily I've got a spare pair of identical cables lying round at the moment so I'll crank up the tunes this weekend with a couple of beers and make the most of the coming of good weather.

Enjoy your weekend and cheers :thumbsup: