1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a sub/sat package sound good with just stereo cds

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by step_one, Jan 24, 2004.

1. step_one

step_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all , i know that sub/sat packages are a compromise but can they sound pretty good with just a stereo source such as cd , not just in surround mode.I listen to equal amounts of music and movies so i was just curious as im thinking of buying the Tannoy FX pack and wondered how it may sound with just stereo.

2. Senninha

Senninha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There is no definitive answer to your question - some people will like it, other not. It just depends how the particular equipment you have chosen sounds to your ears.

Sorry it's not "an answer", but few people will have your equipment, and no-one will have your ears or specific experience.

For what it's worth I also listen to 50/50 movies and music, and although I demo'ed a sub/sat package which I bought for movies, I kept my audio cd player, amp and speakers. To my ears the sub/sat was sufficient for my movie requirements, but fell short of (my) expectation of musical capability.

3. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The only way to find out is to audition them, though I appreciate that this may not always be possible - depending on where you live, local dealers, etc.

FWIW; until the Denon 2803 AV amp I've got on order arrives, I'm using two Monitor Audio Radius R90's with an M J Acoustics Reference 100 subwoofer (admittedly a class and price range or two above the Tannoy FX) with my old Arcam Alpha 5+ stereo amplifier and Rotel CD player - and I'm impressed. (The other two R90's await the arrival of the 2803 - can't wait!)

Now that I've had time to play around with subwoofer settings and location, they integrate really well and I don't miss the monstrous and old Mission floorstanding speakers at all.

4. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a relatively high end hi-fi system using some B&W floorstanders,plus I have some KEF eggs with a REL strata sub and the floorstanders win everytime,better integration of the drivers,no midrange suck out etc,the KEF/REL approach is good for non critical listening,easy listening imho.

5. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Not all sub/sats are a compromise but some of the cheaper ones can be and it's usually the midrange that suffers. If you can go for sats that play down to 80Hz then there should be less issues with the midrange and it also get's around the directional bass issue that can arise with higher crossover frequencies.

Just checked - the Tannoys you mention crossover up at 140Hz. Now, apart from what I mentioned above, you should also note that a lot of AV amps only have a fixed crossover of, generally, 80Hz or 90Hz.

Use this with this speaker package and you'll have a hole in the frequency range - the only way around it being to set the front speakers to large and to then use a high level feed to the subwoofer - problem here is that you are then sending deep bass through a pair of sats only designed to go down to 140Hz.

So - listen to the Tannoys by all means but you need to match them with an AV amp that has a reasonably high "large/small" crossover - there are some that do 120Hz and that would be okay but 150Hz would be better with this package.

Matt.

6. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Quick answer, but the Tannoy FX speakers are terrible in stereo.

To get decent stereo from sub sats you do need to look at the more expensive packages. The Tannoy set is good for the price it is now... but certainly not worth its original price. The MS premiere set would be better, but more cash would get you better still.

7. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I have the Tannoy FX5.1 package and am pleased with it but haven't set any 'crossover' on my amp and to be honest I wouldn't know where to make this adjustment. I have a Marantz SR4200 amp. Any help and guidance would be most welcome.

8. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You should set the speakers to "small" on your amp and "sub?" to "yes". If you have a choice of crossovers on the amp then go for as near to 140Hz as you can.

If your amp's crossove is a lot lower than this then you may get better results by setting the front speakers to "large", sub to "no" and then taking a speaker level feed to the sub - you would need to set the sub's crossover accordingly in this instance though.

Matt.