• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can a SKY+ PVR3 160gb 80/80 anytime box have a HDD upgrade?

M

Mark120169

Hi,

After 7 years with NTL / Virgin, and 2 years with my Pani 200gb HDD / DVD recorder i'm moving house to a non cable area so I'm getting Sky and SKY+.

The new house has a sky+ dish install left at it (handy) so I'v bought a new Thomson DSI 8120 160gb SKY+ Anytime box off ebay for £71 delivered and ordered a SKY+ veiwing card off SKY Directly.

But.....my wife is a HDD space whore bigtime. I often have to fight to clear her crap off the pani 200gb when it gets down to 10hrs remaining, and a braodcast qualiy the Pani holds 70hrs or something.

So the 80gb / 40hr limit of SKY+ worries me somewhat, especially with series link!!! Even with 80GB for anytime she will probably fill both up within a few months.

So I wondered as the Anytime box has the EPG software for anytime can I upgrade the HDD to a 250gb one and still have the Anytime feature?

I.E. , 80gb Anytime and 170gb SKY+ PVR.

Would this work, has anyone done this? Or is the 160gb Anytime HDD specially formated at the factory into two seperate HDD partitions like haveng Vista and XP partions on the Same HDD of a PC?

Any Sky+ techies here who can advise me?

Cheers.

Mark

solidamber

Established Member
Hi,

After 7 years with NTL / Virgin, and 2 years with my Pani 200gb HDD / DVD recorder i'm moving house to a non cable area so I'm getting Sky and SKY+.

The new house has a sky+ dish install left at it (handy) so I'v bought a new Thomson DSI 8120 160gb SKY+ Anytime box off ebay for £71 delivered and ordered a SKY+ veiwing card off SKY Directly.

But.....my wife is a HDD space whore bigtime. I often have to fight to clear her crap off the pani 200gb when it gets down to 10hrs remaining, and a braodcast qualiy the Pani holds 70hrs or something.

So the 80gb / 40hr limit of SKY+ worries me somewhat, especially with series link!!! Even with 80GB for anytime she will probably fill both up within a few months.

So I wondered as the Anytime box has the EPG software for anytime can I upgrade the HDD to a 250gb one and still have the Anytime feature?

I.E. , 80gb Anytime and 170gb SKY+ PVR.

Would this work, has anyone done this? Or is the 160gb Anytime HDD specially formated at the factory into two seperate HDD partitions like haveng Vista and XP partions on the Same HDD of a PC?

Any Sky+ techies here who can advise me?

Cheers.

Mark

Yes it will work you are right the biggest Drive you can put in is 250gb this will leave you with 170gb free

you cant fill the anytime drive yourself the content is automatically chosen and filled by sky

find all the info here
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=156344

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Yes it will work you are right the biggest Drive you can put in is 250gb this will leave you with 170gb free

you cant fill the anytime drive yourself the content is automatically chosen and filled by sky

find all the info here
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=156344

Wrong the box will take a lot larger hard disk but the disk will need preparing beforehand in a PC with a piece of software called Copy+ see here
http://copyplus.artisswebdesign.co.uk/

Although the primary purpose of the software is to copy the contents of your old disk over to a new one, it can also be used for preparing disks up to at least 1 terabyte for use in a Sky+. This is necessary because if you try and put a large disk straight into the Sky+ it will format and use to a maximum of about 270 Gb. So you can put a 300 Gb disk in and it will work perfectly OK but only use 270Gb of it without preparing it first in a PC.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom