Can a setup guru help..!? RX-V373

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mellish, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Mellish

Mellish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Just bought a Yamaha RX-V373 receiver. Set it up as per instructions with HDMI to BD/DVD and TV, and optical to non-ARC TV.
    I get video, but at first the only sound I could get was via USB and iPhone - with all speakers working.
    Then checked the manual and followed instructions, switching on HDMI control.
    Now I can get sound with the TV - though sometimes it gets confused and I have to change HDMI input for it to use the optical.
    Nothing I have been able to do will get the blu-ray player working - it's a Panasonic DMP-BDT110EB - video works OK, just no sound.
    All audio on the BD is set to bitstream.
    Swapped cables to see if there was a fault there - none that I could detect.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Mellish

Mellish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I have a solution. Let the TV use it's own sounds, and use the optical cable as the BD sound. A hack, but done.

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,438
    Using optical from the bluray player means you will not be getting HD audio so not the best sound quality possible. Have you tried setting the bluray to PCM instead? Your receiver should accept audio over the HDMI to give you HD audio. You just need to find the right setting.

4. Mellish

Mellish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, it doesn't like it. Only seems to give me sound via optical, and the HDMI control flitters around a bit so sometimes I have unplug and replug to confuse it into correcting itself. I think it's the BD, which was fairly cheap, and not really as performant as the bumf said it would be.