Can a Samsung dongle allow access to BBC iPlayer?

Spiritseeker

Standard Member
Reaction score
My parents bought a Samsung PS51D550 a few months ago. It is not Smart TV enabled. Does this mean it's not possible to access the internet over the TV at all? Or does it simply means it's not built into the unit?

They would like to be able to watch BBC iPlayer, and 4OD etc through the TV, and I am wondering if I bought them a dongle if this would be able to connect the TV to the net to access these things? Or would it only allow the TV to see shared files on the network, rather than access things over the web?

If a dongle is what they are looking for, can anyone advise which is compatible please? Or if a dongle cannot do this - is it possible to use the online player on the TV in any other way?

thanks for any advice

Charlotte

It's not possible I'm afraid, the functionality has to be part of the TV in the first place.

There are boxes you can buy like the Sony N200 which give the same functionality, it's basically the SmartTV minus the TV.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
An alternative would be a cheap samsung blu-ray player to go with the TV that is smarttv enabled :) iPlayer is on there and working, haven't checked whether 4OD is on it. I think Sony blu ray players may have it but check it out yourself.

Sony blurays players don't have 40D, PS3 does though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom