Question Can a receiver be used to power rear speakers only?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Selectfpr, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Selectfpr

Selectfpr
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased an Anthem AVM-60 Processor and already had an Anthem A5 amp. My problem is I have 2 faulty channels on my amp so I am using it to power my fronts and center only. I have a couple of good receivers I am not using (Denon & Yamaha). Can a receiver be used to power rear speakers only so I don't have to buy a new amp? My speakers are Sopra No. 2 in the fronts and Bowers 805D3's in the rear. The Sopra's are new so I do not know how they will sound together with the 805's, but I figure it can't be bad.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Skylinestar

Skylinestar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yes. The receiver is just another audio amplifier. Just make sure you set the sound level / trim correctly.

3. MIKEVO

MIKEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    Its a shame, you have such a high quality system, with fabulous EQ on the Anthem AVM60.
    I personally would try and get the Anthem A5 Amp Repaired, rather than cobble a system together from spare parts.

4. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    If you put the receiver that you are using as a power amp in pure direct, I am guessing it won't sound any different as a power amp, than any other power amp. You definitely don't have to match an Anthem processor with an Anthem power amp.

5. MIKEVO

MIKEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    The B&W 805 D3 is a fabulous speaker, capable of stunning reproduction. They also dip down to 4 ohms and most AV Receivers will not drive them sufficiently, they will require high current amplification at high volumes and to keep up with the front 3, they may need more than an average AV Receiver can give, or you risk blowing up the best part of £4500 of speakers by clipping.

I have heard the 805 D3's with Bryston Amplification and they are stunning and of course you don't need to match Anthem Processors with Anthem Power Amps.

Why Compromise on a £25,000 setup? And why not get the Amp fixed?

6. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    Denon AVRs are fine with 4 ohm loads, Yamahas can have problems. Which models do you have @Selectfpr ?

I suggest the OP connects it up and sees how it works out. It may not be a compromise.

7. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,447
    to be honest with you, and this is how i’m interpreting what your saying that all power amps sound the same, is totally wrong imho
    I recently upgraded a power amp for a customer going from a Parasound A51 to an ATI AT 525 class D NCore p/amp which was driving B&W D3 Diamonds and the speakers simply “came to life” as the customer put it.

The amplifier made his speakers go from good to great and i left him a happy chappy

to the OP, i agree with @MIKEVO , get the p/amp you’ve got repaired or replace it with something better as cobbling a system such as yours together will never get it sounding its best

Allan

8. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    To be honest with you, I do believe that all power amps sound the same, if they are operating within their abilities, that is, they are not clipping or running out of headroom, and are not faulty, eg introducing noise to the system, not suffering from crosstalk or crossinterference, or in some other way managing to screw up their one job of amplifying the audio sent to it by the pre-amp.

I am glad that your customer is happy, and nice anecdote about the speakers 'coming to life'. I guess we would all 'hear' that if we had just spent £2185 to £4499 on a power amp ;)

What would be more interesting is to see the results of a true blind test, or even some bench test results showing that the new power amp was actually doing something different with the audio than what the old power amp was.

9. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,447
    well we are all entitled to our opinions, but to be honest if you think all power amps sound the same well their's not really anything more to say

the OP's amp cost similar to most good quality power amps so if he thought like you he'd bin it and just use the amps in one of his avr's, i'm pretty sure he won't ;)

10. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    Absolutely, we all are entitled to our own opinions. I just wish more people were able to distinguish between opinions and facts, and be more transparent about that when giving people purchasing advice.

I am not sure what you mean at all by your second paragraph, what costs more than what, and why is that relevant? I definitely would not advise anyone to bin anything. Even broken electronics have second hand value!

Anyway, the OP has only ever made one post and seems to have not re-visited the forums since, so it's all a bit moot at this point.

Interesting discussion, none the less, and maybe someone else will read it at some point and find it useful. :)

11. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,447
    the best advice i could give you is to take no notice of me, come for a demo and let your ears do the talking. i’m pretty certain blind tested or not you would hear the difference between a quality power amp and a not so quality amplifier.

Don’t get me wrong i had the same thoughts as you are now a while back but not any more. ;)

there was a comment made on these very forums a few years ago that an Onkyo 818 was all that was needed to get a certain speaker brand “singing”.

Well only yesterday i replaced a customer’s amplifier, an Onkyo 5500 p/amp, with an ATI on the same speakers in question and for the first time in 7 years he finally started to hear them sound how they are capable of sounding, so power amps really can and do sound different

Allan

12. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    Sadly, I have no budget for more A/V kit right now, and I am 200 miles away from Normanton, so sadly, I cannot take you up on your kind offer, but thank you. :smashin:

I do agree that many multi channel set-ups can be improved by using external amplification rather than running all of the speakers from the one AVR's onboard power amps, as they can often be compromised with crosstalk, in-chassis interference and a power supply shared with all of the other components inside the AVR. But for the OP's specific purpose, of just using a spare AVR, in pure direct mode, to power two rear surround speakers in a 5.1 set-up with another power amp on the other three speakers, and a separate processor / pre-amp, I think would be fine.

13. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,447
    in a way i agree with you but we’ve somewhat drifted from our discussion which was that all amplifiers sound the same, trust me they don’t

anyway moving on i still feel the OP’s best course of action is to get his p/amp repaired :smashin:

night night :D

14. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    That was your discussion actually, that you introduced in post 7. A bit off topic, but I went with it as seemed like it may be a worthwhile meander.

I definitely know that DACs, pre-amps and speakers sound very different. But power amps, not really, with caveats. That is, as I said in post 8, they are designed and built properly to cleanly and faithfully amplify the input signal without introducing any noise and plenty of headroom so no clipping

15. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,447
    lol, in post 4 you mentioned all power amps sounding the same which invited discussion, so that's what i did, i've also invited you to come and listen so that you could hear this difference for yourself, no sales pitch, nothing behind it, just a listening session.

Why am i confident you'll hear a difference, for the same reason as some manufacturers think that their £1-5-10-20-30-40-50k amplifiers are worth more than someone else's £200 amplifier.

tbh it beggars belief that anyone can think all amplifiers sound the same, if they did we'd all have a 99 quid amazon special :D

16. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    Ha ha, no, you've clearly misunderstood, what I said in post 4. For the OP's specific situation, that is to power rear speakers in a 5.1 set-up with a separate power amp on the front three speakers and an Anthem processor / pre-amp, that the receiver in pure direct mode would be a perfectly adequate power amp, and in that set-up I would be suprised if the OP could hear an audible difference if the surrounds were powered by that, or by his Anthem power amp, if he were to get that repaired.

Indeed. But if we are going down this pathway then surely we should acknowledge the power of marketing? Many people like to have brand names components in their hi fi rack, for bragging rights, or to fit in with their decor. Maybe for some people, that is even more important than how it sounds?

How much does it cost to make a good power amp, that can faithfully reproduce and amplify the audio that is sent to it from a pre-amp? Probably more than £99, but I doubt it is as much as £50k. So, that is a big mark-up, and certain consumers still buy them.

Which is fair enough, If money is no object, then why not have the most expensive of everything. It doesn't mean that it definitely sounds better though. And it doesn't mean, that for those on a limited budget, that using a £200 power amp is necessarily a huge compromise. It depends on the amp and the setting.