Can a PVR do this?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by taro, Jul 26, 2004.

Tags:
  1. taro

taro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PVR with freeview thing really has interested me but I was wondering if anyone can help me with a few questions. I would be after something with freeview (and I assume an EPG) and a hard drive but what do I do if I want too get material off the hard drive and archive it to DVD. Is this possible at all would it be a simple scart out or do any boxes have firewire out to connect to a PC.

Or should I be looking at a DVD Recorder with a hard drive and simply connecting a freeview box. I assume this would mean no EPG and back to setting the timer like on a video. One thing I forgot I'd also like to watch one digital channel whilst recording another.

Any help would be much appreciated as this has been bugging me for a while

2. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Join the club. You need a twin DTT tuner PVR. There are a few about at the mo. Pace, Fusion, Thomson all make them. You can archive to a DVD recorder via scart, at least I always could from my Sky+ PVR.

I'm personally waiting for the Panasonic TUCTH100 to come out as that has a 'digital interface' for recording to DVD RAM or -R. I'm assuming this will be firewire and I'm hoping I can connect it to a PC and get rid of my DVD Recorder as I have a recorder on the PC. It may just be for other Panasonic products though.

As for EPG, there is an official 8 day EPG that is rolling out across the country in the next few days so freeview PVR's should have similar functionality to Sky+ soon.

3. taro

taro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic thats been a huge help. :thumbsup:

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The Pace has s-video out from scart 2, which is a bonus for archiving.

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    With the Twin soneone has written a ripping software TwinRIP for copying programmes onto a PC

6. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yeah I saw that. Just needs a good solution for connecting the hdd to a PC and that might be a viable option. I guess someone will publish a definitive guide do making it happen shortly.

I just can't stop thinking about the over 100 page thread on DS entitled 'Post you Twin problems here'. Doesn't exactly make me want to rush out and buy one although you never know what ratio of owners have problems as the ones that don't are not going to post as much.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Steve, I'm sure you're right about the proportion of posters in a problem thread. Check out some of the hitachi plasma problem threads. Yes, there's a problem, but it's not universal. Having said that, my twin dumped a live pause on Monday...

8. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I can't help thinking I should wait until the market is a little more developed. All the current crop of PVR's have doubts for me. The Humax looks the most sorted but only has one tuner etc.

I'm also waiting to get some feedback on how the twin handles the epg. I've heard some people saying it's super quick and others saying it's dog slow.

I'm thinking I may try to pick up a second hand one at some point so at least I can swap it again if it proves a disaster.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Funny how I have't seen a single one 2nd hand? I have probably 25 of them in various installs, all with deiriously happy owners, all on October software. I told them not to update till I'd tried it. Glad about that. I'm a bit cross about them nobbling the EPG.