1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a poweramp accept 2 seperate preamps?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by rajkat, Oct 27, 2005.

1. rajkat

rajkat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Is it possible to use the same power amp with 2 separate preamps (Analoge Stereo & HT Surround Processor)? I was thinking of using one of these 2-1 RCA Phono adaptors: http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr1983.html

This should enable the same set of front speakers to be used for stereo hi-fi (Stereo preamp) or HT (Surround preamp) depending on which preamp is turned on.

Thanks

Richard

2. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't say for sure if this is possible or not, but I would not dare to try this. The risk of 2 Pre amps sending a signal at the same time ( by accident) is fairly high, might cause damage.. Can't Imagen what it also does to the quality of the sound considering the flow of the signal up and down the interconnects.

Why not add the HT processor pre out for front speakers (right!??) to an aux input of the Stereo pre amp!? Assuming your HT will drive the rear, center and sub. I know signal path needs to be as short as possible, but that would be a safety first workable solution.
    You would have to experiment to find the right volume setting for the fronts and then leave it there for HT use.

Get more feedback from people here, also post more details of your set-up and used equipment to get a better feel and the possibility of looking up info for people. Also look on the web elsewhere before trying this. Live dangerously and try, but if you get smoke take it like a man :)

I remember using similar (cheap) connectors to add 2 devices to an aux input om my amp once. It sounded horrible and was considered no workable option. Also my experiment was not as risky I believe as it was not directly on the main in of a power amp..

I'm interested to what other people have to say about this. I have noticed some real experts on these forums I fly by the little i 'think' to know ;-)

3. rajkat

rajkat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

I suppose your suggestion would be much more signal friendly, not to mention safer!

4. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,235
    i have a sony AV amp and a LINN pre/amp power amp and i have set mine up as Heavenly suggested, safest and easiest way, i just set the LINN failry high ( i used the test tone to work out how high i need it) and then use the Sony AV amp to control the volume.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I use several pre amps in my system, all quite straight forward

6. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you feel like explaning how you set up a system with more pre amps and one or more power amps?

7. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    If you were to consider an Arcam pre-amp then it will have a handy little processor switch. You can then connect your processor to it and with a flick of the switch you can route the signal directly through to your power amps and use the processor to control everything.

I'm sure there are other amps that do this but Arcam are the only ones I've come across.

8. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Some Linn preamps, including the Kolektor which Shahedz has, have a "unity gain" mode. When an input is configured like this, the volume control is bypassed completely, and an external preamp can be used.

Eg. Use AV Amp for centre and surround channels (pre and power), feeding the L&R preamp output into a "unity gain" input on the Kolektor, which passes through the signal into the power amp which is normally used for stereo music.

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I just have upto 5 pre ams intergreated into the system but the majority are based around two. One AV and one Stereo. They feed a 2 way switch box which feeds the amps. The switch box is pretty standard but decent quality, the only thing that is worth noting is the the grounds are switched as well as the signal. The other manual pre amp / switch I also use regulalrly goes signal ground signal signal ground signal ground signal ground signal ground as you turn the switch. Tjisway you avoid all the bumps and pos through your speakers.

I would not use the 2 way adaptors. The Arcam approach, used by many others is good. Musical Fidelity and others now have 2 inputs on the power amps, or at least some of them. This also works well.