Can a Oled tv improve the PQ from a HD source.

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by Toffee Man, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Toffee Man

Toffee Man
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      Can a Oled tv improve the PQ from a HD source or would a 4K uhd with a good upscaling give a better PQ than a Oled tv in general.

2. staffy 2

staffy 2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +383
      Hi toffee man I went from a Sony 1080 HD lcd tv to an OLED and I had the same reservations about HD as that’s what I watch most.I was gobsmacked at the quality my Oled delivered with an hd source and it’s better than my hd tv was so I’m well happy.

3. Toffee Man

Toffee Man
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      Staffy2 if you don't made me asking what Oled tv do you have and where do you get your HD source from.

4. staffy 2

staffy 2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +383
      FA636012-B982-4E71-8628-7C9E3034EE1E.jpeg BE17AF77-12F1-451E-BDE4-9CC621B2A4CA.jpeg 5AB46876-79BC-455C-BEAA-C919646106C8.jpeg 669424F9-0C56-463A-A295-8703B61CA996.jpeg 79EE9658-D6A1-43A7-ABC9-5D484EFB4A73.jpeg E010B5C5-914A-4E84-AB10-070632299998.jpeg I’ve got a 55 E7 but they all use the same panel.All my viewing is Sky HD and it looks so good I’ve not bothered with Sky Q yet as was originally planned but they need more films in UHD and need to add HDR.Some things in hd look so good almost 4K like and football is amazing in HD.I read in reviews that these oleds struggled with an interlaced signal but that simply isn’t true as sky hd 1080i is very good and I had a top quality hd tv but this has just such a great hd picture.Pics only took with my iPad and tv is in motion so not the best quality but all hd pictures.

5. staffy 2

staffy 2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +383
      7DBEBB53-8262-45DF-931B-92E18E2A4E8E.jpeg 8465F133-A736-416E-A078-D1C1E6C16E8D.jpeg A8436948-9BE2-45E8-8BD1-C6C45E89313E.jpeg 3A4958C9-D174-43B0-821A-535CCA14E765.jpeg E6374EB3-D7B8-4BDE-8E10-ED82D3697B39.jpeg C024D9C0-0077-497F-B270-AD12B4A4CEB7.jpeg Some 4K pics

6. Toffee Man

Toffee Man
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      Thanks for the pictures Staffy2, it's given me more hope now of a new tv very soon. Was beginning to think what's the point of buying.

7. staffy 2

staffy 2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +383
      Glad I could help and rest assured hd looks top quality

8. drdocmatt

drdocmatt

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +284
      I would wait for the 2018 OLEDs. But it's OLED all the way, they wipe the floor with LCD in every respect.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    9. staffy 2

staffy 2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +383
      I wouldn’t pay full price so around Black Friday is the best time to buy as mine was £1499 instead of the £3499 price when first released.

10. Bacus

Bacus
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,884
      How's that then ? Care to explain ?

11. arenaman

arenaman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,772
      Tin hats on everyone

• Funny Funny x 8
      • Like Like x 5
      • List
    12. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +423
      If you play HD on a 4K UHD TV, all of them upscale the image no matter what technology they use for the picture, so the question is not really relevant, however, if you’re looking for overall picture quality, then the only way is to go and see them and buy the one that gives you the best picture. (Forget what technology it uses as this is irrelevant, it’s purely what suits you)

Bill

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    13. drdocmatt

drdocmatt

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +284
      Lots of threads to read on that topic. LCD is the diesel that turns up to a Tesla party. It was ok for a while but it's time to move on now..

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Funny Funny x 3
      • List
    14. Bacus

Bacus
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,884
      Also lots of threads on how good LED is !! And I would say world wide more LED's are manufactured and sold over OLED.
      OLED still has some way to go to be considered as "wiping the floor" with other TV sets.
      I had a 65" LG OLED which I sold to replace it with a Sony FALD TV and to me the motion and processing is far superior to the OLED I had. Many LG OLED's suffer motion issues big and small. Some notice it while others don't. Yes OLED can get to absolute black but. Properly set up FALD TV can also produce great blacks !!
      LED's don't suffer screen burn issues like OLED can. And there seems to be a lot of OLED's having screen banding issues and being constantly returned from reading the other OLED threads.
      I now have a Sony XE9405 and a Panasonic DX902 and both produce a stunning picture with no motion issues, bandy screens, or screen burn to ever worry about.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    15. staffy 2

staffy 2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +383
      Hi Bacus I’ve my first OLED and no tint and no bands and to me after having lcd all my life I’m totally unbiased but my Oled is far superior than lcd it gives a much more natural picture and motion to me is perfect I’ve seen no problems in two months and I’m in no way a fan boy I’m just giving my honest opinion and everyone who’s seen my tv says the same they say it’s the best picture they’ve ever seen.
      We all have different eyes and ears not one of us is the same and Oled is now cheaper than the top lcd tvs and led is still lcd it’s just different way of lighting screen but if you prefer lcd then it’s good you have the choice but you seem very defensive about your choice when really it’s just a tv so sit back and enjoy it and also lcd has many faults and I’m a neutral who just took the Oled route but to me it’s in a different league.

16. Bacus

Bacus
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,884
      Not defensive at all just giving another option.

As you say everybody's eyes are different and some people are subjective to noticing motion issues as I was with my E6 OLED. I still feel OLED has a way to go yet with more improvement but the 2017 sets are better than the 2016 sets.
      2018 hopefully will be another improvement.
      Anyone purchasing an expensive TV should only really go and view for them selves and see what if any issues there eyes notice.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    17. drdocmatt

drdocmatt

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +284
      Motion issues are down to video processing not display tech. Buy the Sony OLED and the motion will match or in fact beat what you're used to on the LCDs you've had from that brand for years.

LCD has always looked disappointing for real images supposed to represent the real world. As a utilitarian display device for information presentation or as a cheap and reliable non-critical TV it's absolutely perfect and that is the reason it's been so successful (t was "good enough"), but as a home cinema display it's not in the same league as OLED is and plasma was. It has been pushed, via tricks, to getting "good" performance for the head-on viewer, but fundamentally it can't go much further.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    18. staffy 2

staffy 2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +383
      If you prefer lcd then bacus why do you feel the need to come on an OLED thread and start calling the technology and putting doubts into people’s minds about them having motion problems when it’s just not true as I’ve always had Sony so been use to good motion and my E7 is just as good with motion and no tint and no bands.
      I’d never dream of going onto an lcd thread to point out problems with technology of which it has many but it’s just a little spiteful trying to spoil someone’s tv they’ve spent there hard earnt cash on and then tell them it’s not good because not everyone has your eyes so you obviously have an eye problem that makes you sensitive to Oled so it’s not the tv it’s you but please don’t come onto this thread and spoil it for people as there thousands who have no problem with Oled motion else LG would go bust with everyone returning them and you can never judge a tv until it’s in your home environment and you’d have no problem returning it within 7 days.

19. Slugsy01

Slugsy01

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +974
      I looked at the ZD9 in depth prior to going down OLED and still consider switching over as it produces a really high quality picture.

If it wasn’t for the viewing angles, I would have no hesitation buying a good FALD LCD, but alas due to config of my room, we view the TV at odd angles and that is one weakness not corrected by any LCD as yet.

OLED does produce amazing blacks and contrast, I acknowledge that the OLEDs are not as bright but that has never really been an issue for me. However, while the 7 series of LG and Sony’s have improved things, it’s near black competency and compressed content handling is still a area of weakness in my eyes.

OLEDs have banding issues, especially 65” but I’ve spent enough time on the LCD threads to see that panels can be an issue there too!

Ultimately, I think both have strengths and weakness and there isn’t a perfect solution out there.

I love OLED but definitely think the likes of the ZD9 are a fine effort and certainly am jealous of those 75”ers! :p

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    20. Toffee Man

Toffee Man
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      So keep in mind my budget is 2k max, I have no sound system, my main view source is sky HD and I will be sat around 2.5m away from the tv. Not looking at anything bigger then 55inch, I see my options are 1- Sony A1 with no sound system.
      2- Sony ex93 with a new sound system.
      3- LG B/C Oled with new sound system.
      What would you guys go for and why. Really appreciate the input.

21. choddo

choddo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +477
      LG with a sound system

22. staffy 2

staffy 2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +383
      LG with a decent sound bar you don’t want edge lit lcd tv like the xe93 and it has high input lag if you game where LG has low lag and Sony A1 has high lag aswell and anything over 30 is high lag to me and LG is 21 while Sony is 44.
      Try an OLED from somewhere like John Lewis or Currys with decent return window and if you don’t like it then exchange it as you will never get a true picture in a bright store and 20 minutes looking won’t show you any faults.
      I suffer with OCD I can’t tolerate any faults they drive me mad and it’s took me 3 years to go OLED after reading the horror stories especially poor motion I couldn’t tolerate that and viewed every tv several times but to my eyes which are good I have no problems don’t even wear glasses and motion on my LG OLED is perfect and I honestly mean that and even old tv non hd looks ok but HD looks superb and 4K blows me away in hdr.

23. hackthegibson

hackthegibson

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +265
      You dont need a sound system with the Sony A1. The acoustic surface is perfect. I have the 55" and sit the around 2m from the screen.

24. staffy 2

staffy 2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +383
      There’s a member on here ZANDY1 and he’s had the Sony ZD9 and XE75 and he didn’t like them Infact Sony gave him so much trouble not admitting to faults.He settled on last years E6 but recently tried a Sony A1 but it had a band visible in content and a white square calibration box he could see in the middle so he sent it back and is happy with is E6.
      Now I don’t know how true this is but the A1 isn’t as bright as LGs 2017 OLEDs with some saying it’s because it has a 2016 Panel.I love Sony but there oleds are price too high but the main thing for me is the stand as I don’t wall mount and you couldn’t put a sound bar in front of it as it would block the screen.
      CES 2018 is only a couple days away with newer technology but that £1300 C7 or B7 you can get now will most likely be £2999 when released in April so you have to decide what you want to pay.
      I wish I could have been given the information what I’m giving you now as I was in the exact same situation and it’s the best decision I ever made going OLED.

25. staffy 2

staffy 2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +383
      Bear in mind toffee man that no tvs speakers will come anywhere near a decent sound bar in surround mode for movies,my sound bar blows my windows out almost and bounces sound effects off the wall behind me and pardon my French but the A1 sound will be piss poor next to a stand alone sound bar and the same applies to my E7 and a lot of people say the E7 has better sound than the A1 but I couldn’t tell in store but did prefer the E7 sound from what I did hear but get a decent sound bar they are really good now.
      LG May go with crystal sound this year but you’ll pay for it in the early months,I’m no fan boy I’ll always be honest and that tiny sub in the back of the A1 cant compete with a 12 inch proper separate sub.

26. Toffee Man

Toffee Man
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      Was looking at a 2017 model, just need to what good sound bar are best with LG Oled tv

27. staffy 2

staffy 2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +383
      You can have any sound bar you want and even a £170 entry model will be better than any tvs internal speakers.The Samsung Atmos bar with a sub and surround speakers is £999 on sale for 100 hours at moment with Currys which is a good deal.
      You could go with the Samsung hws650 at £499 and there’s a separate sub you could add later but it’s £499 although you can haggle to £350 I’ve seen on here.Heres a decent deal the Samsung hws750 is £799 which is a bit over priced but you can get it fir £799 with the sub included so that’s a good deal but I get one with a separate sub if you can stretch to that.Im thinking of upgrading my sound bar and I’d go for the hws750 at £799 with the sub I’ve heard it’s much better with the sub but then the atmos hws950 is good for £999 but think I’ll wait for CES 2018 to see what’s new.

28. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8
      I don't hate LCD tv's. I've had them, a few of them and was happy with them. And yes I know they don't have the image retention or screen burn in like OLED or Plasma but I was always unhappy with the LCD tv grey backlight issues with clouding and ghosting and dirty screen effect. Motion wa also a problem with it.

Then I moved on to Plasma and was loving the superior blacks, and the viewing angles and the superior motion and colours. Yes they were prone to burn in. But my two plasma, the VT30B is still going strong with no burn in and so is my GT50. Just a lovely picture with no LCD tv issues.

OLED gets us closer to the perfect picture of plasma attributes than the age old tech of LCD tv. How long have we had different versions of CCFL IPS, TN panels then the tech moved on to Edge lit LED LCD, then again moved on to FALD. The problem with FALD is that you pay a silly price for it to get a better picture over an OLED.

Anyway LED FALD LCD vs OLED? It all comes down to what you the owner and what flaws with each tech you can and can't live with. For me superior blacks, no backlight, clouding, and wide angle viewing. These are attributes LCD can't really compete with.

But yes LED LCD and OLED are still prone to bad uniformity, horizontal banding, dirty screen effect. However the LED LCD on a whole has less desirable issues which OLED does not share. So OLED has more advantages I would say. LED LCD will be brighter and better for HDR, but they are probably too bright. And you don't need really a super bright screen unless you want to damage your eyes. OLED gives better dynamic contrast and colours and because of this HDR appears better. Pictures jump put at you.

I am willing to see past the flaws of my OLED over the flaws of LED tvs which I could not live with. I had motion issues with the LCD tv I had. I still do have with my OLED is motion judder or stutter with certain fast paced panning shots but its not as bad and with some programming from Netflix and Amazon motion hasn't been a massive issue but it has with some content. But it can be made tolerable with tweaks. I still miss my plasma for motion.

29. staffy 2

staffy 2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +383
      As long as people get a tv they are happy with wether it lcd or Oled then that’s all that matters and get the tv which looks best to you with your own eyes.
      All tvs have there faults or little quirks so you just have to pick the one that pleases you the most but as good as advice is always go to veiw them with your own eyes.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    30. Bacus

Bacus
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,884
      Perfectly said :smashin: