Can a non-subscriber update Sky+HD box software?

AK 47

I haven't been a Sky subscriber for many years, and don't usually even keep my Sky+HD box (Sky DRX895 1TB) connected.

I've recently connected it back up to watch Euro 2020 using the Freesat channels. It's the first time I've connected it since I did the same to watch the 2018 World Cup.

I still have my old Sky card inserted - although I read somewhere recently that Freesat from Sky no longer exists.

Obviously, the box is running years-old software. So my question is, as a non-subscriber, am I able to update the software? I've tried the "plug it in whilst depressing the back up button" method a few times, and it hasn't worked - it just loads up as normal to channel 998 - so I assume it isn't possible, but I just wanted to double-check. Because I wouldn't put it past myself for the update to have not started thanks user error on my part.

Thanks in advance.

Dustin20

Novice Member
If you don’t get the black screen with a message saying update in progress it means the Box hasn’t gone into update mode.

unplug the box and then press and hold backup whilst plugging it in and keep holding until the lights all come on and message appears.

winston2010

Certainly the original sky SD boxes without a sub or even a card could be updated so I assume the HD boxes can. But it is possible the update on old boxes is not continuously available. Leaving the box connected and plugged in and it should update itself when it is available.

Is there any particular reason you want to update it?

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom