Can a Non Freeview TV be Digital

Logo Hater

My son and I have been having a long running disagreement about whether it is possible to have a TV with a Digital tuner that is not Freeview.

He is adament that such a TV is possible, I on the other hand say it is impossible.

Could someone please confirm one way or the other, which of us is right?

nwgarratt

Digital TV's sold in the UK are Freeview only. In my case, my first digital TV was ondigital but that was renamed to Freeview a few years later.

If it was other countries then it might have digital cable instead. If anyone here needs cable or satellite then a external box is required.

Asriel

Freeview is the name given to digital broadcasts in the UK which are received with a normal terrestrial aerial (and it's a registered trademark i.e. not a generic term). This is known as DVB-T, as opposed to DVB-S for satellite and DVB-C for cable.

Humax LDE-HD32S: New LCD-TV with DVB-S2-HDTV-Tuner

This is a TV available in Germany which has a DVB-S2 tuner built in. i.e. you could plug your satellite feed into it and get channels, probably including BBC HD because this is the S2 high def tuner. So it's not a DVB-T tuner and definitely not "Freeview".

The bad news is it looks like the boy has it. :rolleyes::suicide:

Technically I suppose you could also have a TV made for a different country where the frequencies are different so it wouldn't pick up "Freeview" as such, but whatever they called it in that country.

Inactive

My son and I have been having a long running disagreement about whether it is possible to have a TV with a Digital tuner that is not Freeview.

He is adament that such a TV is possible, I on the other hand say it is impossible.

Could someone please confirm one way or the other, which of us is right?

I think a Digital TV is possible, but would not normally be on sale in the UK, all Digital TV's made for the UK are Freeview, however a similar Digital TV from say Spain would not be Freeview, but would still be Digital, the difference would show up when scanning channels, they will all work OK, but BBC 3 and BBC4 will only scan in after 7.00PM, after the Kids channels have closed down.

Hope that makes sense and helps.;)

"Freeview" is just the brand name that a consortium in the UK decided would be a shorthand way of saying "Digital Terrestrial TV with no further subscription fee". So if you see a TV that's sold as having a Digital Tuner, that means it will be able to pick up the "Freeview" range of channels.

Other meanings for the phrase "Digital TV" also exist - *all* LCD and Plasma TVs, for example, could be called Digital TVs whether or not they can receive digital TV broadcasts, because they all have digital video processing chips in them.

(BTW: I also detest TV bug logos!)

Logo Hater

Freeview is the name given to digital broadcasts in the UK which are received with a normal terrestrial aerial (and it's a registered trademark i.e. not a generic term). This is known as DVB-T, as opposed to DVB-S for satellite and DVB-C for cable.

Humax LDE-HD32S: New LCD-TV with DVB-S2-HDTV-Tuner

This is a TV available in Germany which has a DVB-S2 tuner built in. i.e. you could plug your satellite feed into it and get channels, probably including BBC HD because this is the S2 high def tuner. So it's not a DVB-T tuner and definitely not "Freeview".

The bad news is it looks like the boy has it. :rolleyes::suicide:

Having read all the replies, I can't agree that he has WON. I presumed we were talking about a DVB-T tuner available in this country, so it looks like I was right after all. I'll try not to gloat too much.

Many thanks for all the replies though, they are very much appreciated.

Steve1951

Agree with everything thats been said.

BUT (as someone else mentioned)

Beware arguments were one person is using a generic measurable term (Digital TV)

And the other what is essentially a brand name (freeview).

Asriel

Having read all the replies, I can't agree that he has WON. I presumed we were talking about a DVB-T tuner available in this country, so it looks like I was right after all. I'll try not to gloat too much.

Well now we are down to semantics, which is where arguments get good. The phrase you used in the question;

"it is possible to have a TV with a Digital tuner that is not Freeview"

is definitely true, so on that basis you would have lost.

If the question is "is it possible to have a television bought in the UK that has a digital terrestrial tuner that doesn't accept UK digital terrestrial broadcasts", then it would be different (and a slightly odd argument as I suspect a lot of people would want their money back for one of those).

What you meant and/or what you assumed is a different matter. I wouldn't let my dad get away with a change of direction like that, but then I love an argument. :smashin: My next tack would be to say that I could buy a tv on the internet with a DVB-T tuner not compatible with UK frequencies and have it delivered here. But why would anyone want one?

nwgarratt

If the question is "is it possible to have a television bought in the UK that has a digital terrestrial tuner that doesn't accept UK digital terrestrial broadcasts", then it would be different (and a slightly odd argument as I suspect a lot of people would want their money back for one of those).

why is it odd?

If someone came to me and said can you get a TV with digital that is not Freeview (FTA) then the answer is no. It is safe to assume the person is talking about the country they are living in. It's not like someone would get a cable or satellite TV from another country and expect to use it in the UK.

Why would they want their money back?

Steve1951

I can see that Asriel does love an argument/discussion.

This sort of thing is why barristers earn so much money.When they make a statement they will try and make it absolutely plain and allow no room for any alternative view.

But it is the opposing councils job to find holes in the others statement (or that of witnesses).

Sorry to have got a bit off subject but it does apply.

I would still sit on the fence about the winner of this debate.

Asriel

why is it odd?

It's not like someone would get a cable or satellite TV from another country and expect to use it in the UK.

That's exactly why it would be an odd argument to have. Why would someone question something that's so obvious?

Why would they want their money back?

Because I can't imagine someone deliberately buying something they couldn't possibly use, so if they were sold one, they'd send it back when they found out.

When someone says "digital tuner", I don't assume they mean terrestrial because I know there are other kinds. I didn't know if the OP knew, so I explained. It seemed like a reasonable question to be asking too i.e. if you can get satelite and cable tuners for your computer, can you get one built into a telly? I quite like the idea of picking up the free to view HD broadcasts without Sky.

At the end of the day, I wasn't there so I can't tell what they meant if they don't tell me. I was just trying to answer a question as I read it.

By the way, I'm not a barrister, but I did have a great argument with one a few weeks ago. They never admit they're wrong;)

Logo Hater

Hi Asriel.

I perhaps didn't explain myself too clearly in my first post, but I did mean a TV bought in this country, and meant to be used in this country. I am also certain that my son understood that as well.

He was claiming that he knew of a source where he could buy a TV with an inbuilt digital tuner, that would not enable him to watch Freeview. This was why I claimed that what he was saying was not possible. Having read all the replies, I now know that he was obviously mistaken. I will try not to gloat, though that will be difficult.

Barristers are not the only ones who never admit they are wrong, nor does my son.

He was claiming that he knew of a source where he could buy a TV with an inbuilt digital tuner, that would not enable him to watch Freeview
I've never heard of such a TV.

nwgarratt

It just goes.

Q: Can a TV be built in digital in the UK without Freeview?

A: No.

That's it. Anything else is just nitpicking. It is safe to assume the question was meant to mean UK. Otherwise, it could lead to a trip to Curry's or whatever and expecting to see satellite/cable TV's, which isn't going to happen.

Asriel

It just goes.

Q: Can a TV be built in digital in the UK without Freeview?

Well it didn't say UK and it did say "impossible", which made me think it was about what existed rather than what you can buy in Curry's.

I think your blunt references to my posts made it look like I was tring to come up with some [edited by curly99] for the sake of nitpicking, which is a bit rude.:thumbsdow

Anyway, Logo's question is answered to his satisfaction so I won't have to post any more answers you think are pointless.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom