Can a MCE extender stream live TV?

ensyed

I have a MCE machine hooked up to a Sky box. If I buy a media extender for the bedroom TV... can I view and change channels on the sky box from the bedroom?

This way I can avoid yet another box in the bedroom.

Thanks

Wo0zy

I have a MCE machine hooked up to a Sky box. If I buy a media extender for the bedroom TV... can I view and change channels on the sky box from the bedroom?

This way I can avoid yet another box in the bedroom.

Thanks

Yes it can as long as it's a Media Center Extender (XBOX360 or one of the new Linksys DMA models).

Cheers,

Wo0zy

ensyed

Cheers.
A follow up question. I have another pc which can share the files on the mediapc. Just as an experiment I tried playing a recorded file from the mediapc on this other pc and it is terrible.....It plays a sec then freezes while it downloads/streams more I guess

Is there a way to make it buffer first instead of this piecemeal streaming....or do I need a faster home network. I am using the sky supplied wireless broadband router. G network I believe.

Thanks

Wo0zy

Cheers.
A follow up question. I have another pc which can share the files on the mediapc. Just as an experiment I tried playing a recorded file from the mediapc on this other pc and it is terrible.....It plays a sec then freezes while it downloads/streams more I guess

Is there a way to make it buffer first instead of this piecemeal streaming....or do I need a faster home network. I am using the sky supplied wireless broadband router. G network I believe.

Thanks

If you are using WMP 11 you can adjust the buffering in Tools>Options>Performance. By all means experiment but it sounds like the throughput on your wireless LAN is quite bad.

If you plan on using an MCE Extender then I would strongly advise a fully wired network. If it's not possible then make sure at least the MCE PC is wired.

Does windows report good signal strength? If so it might be worth finding out if there is a firmware update for the router to address the problem.

Good luck

Wo0zy

GingerTez

Hi,

I've been using a Linksys Media Center Extender for about a year in my kid's bedroom. It's worked fine over a wireless network (802.11g) , when using the extender the buffering is done automatically on the hard drive of the main PC. It always lags a few seconds behind the actual Live TV stream because of this.

He's just got an XBox360 for Christmas and I've just finished adding the 360 to the home network (using those 'homeplug' network extenders that plug into electricity sockets and give up to 85mbps). He'll be using his 360 as an extender from now on to reduce the number of appliances in his room but I was very happy with the Linksys box and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Over the wireless network using the Linksys extender he could watch Live TV, listen to music, watch recorded TV, and watch mpeg files that had been placed in the library. He couldn't stream DVDs or high definition video files.

The channel changing worked fine from his bedroom using the remote control because the usual setup was employed downstairs whereby the MCE PC had an infra-red controller thingummyjig attached to the front of hte Sly box.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Terry.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom