Can a Magic Eye be used with the new Sky HD Box

Tosh McCaber

Standard Member
We have 2 HD Sky+ boxes, and an old standard Amstrad box This box is hooked up via RF2 to two other televisions- one in our kitchen and the other to the bedroom. We are able to access he Sky box from our bedroom via a magic eye controller.

We would now like to upgrade this Amstrad box with a standard HD box. However, I have been told by a Sky Engineer that the new regular Sky HD boxes do not support being controlled by a remote magic eye.

Can anyone tell me if this is the case? I am getting different messages when I have Googled the subject.

Thanks for your help.

Tosh McCaber

Standard Member
We have 2 HD Sky+ boxes, and an old standard Amstrad box This box is hooked up via RF2 to two other televisions in our kitchen and bedroom. We are able to access the Sky box from our bedroom via a magic eye controller.

We would now like to upgrade this Amstrad box with a standard HD box. However, I have been told by a Sky engineer that the new standard HD boxes do not support being controlled by a remote magic eye via RF2.

Can anyone tell me if this is the case? I am getting different messages when I have Googled the subject.

Thanks for your help.

Edit:

Having been looking at the very informative TV Link guide on the Forums board, I think that the engineer was probably referring to the Amstrad DRX595, which has no RF2.

Are there any other boxes that would be an alternative?

Last edited:

MartinPickering

Which model? The Amstrad DRX595 (bedroom HD box - no Hard Drive) has NO RF OUTPUTS but AFAIK all other models have.

Last edited:

Drewlly2

Standard Member
We had a new Sky HD 1TB box installed last year, and it works fine with our magic eye. I'm guessing that when you say a "new" Sky HD box, it's that one you're talking about.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Do you mean the Sky HD+ PVR box or the non PVR Sky HD box now used for multiroom? The HD+ box does still support magic eyes although some very old magic eyes are not compatible with the latest boxes. The HD boxes do not have RF outputs so cannot support magic eyes without additional equipment.

Tosh McCaber

Standard Member
Dave,

I am just looking for a simple viewing box, if possible HD, to replace the old box. My old box pixellates, and I've been told that it's on its way out.

Do none of the HD boxes have RF outputs to support magic eye?

You mentioned additional equipment. What would I need to buy?

Thanks for your quick response (See my edit to my original query)

logiciel

There is only one current Sky receiver, the 595 that M P mentioned, and it doesn't have the RF socket.
Additional equipment in the form of a modulator would provide it with the socket that it doesn't currently have.
The pixellation is more likely to be due to a fault somewhere in the cabling so you'd better check that first.
You can ask Sky to provide a PVR not a receiver, or if necessary buy one elsewhere.

I'm guessing that when you say a "new" Sky HD box, it's that one you're talking about.
No, yours is a PVR, the 595 is a machine that's just a receiver not a recorder, that's usually supplied only for multiroom installations, and that doesn't have the RF Out socket that the extension cable and "magic eye" use.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom